AMD Price Drops After Fermi

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
I know what some people are waiting for...price drops. Should see them dropping soon for 5800 series cards at launch msrp at least...but the real question is what will the prices be after Fermi launches. Here is a proposed breakdown of price drops on ATI cards after Fermi launch:

5970 - $349
5870 - $225
5850 - $175

This is when AMD sales start slowing down as Fermi of course will be much faster. This is good stuff for us consumers finally, bring the price wars :cool:

Isn't there suppose to be a AMD refresh around the time Fermi launches?

Ok

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100) in your sig

clearly you don't need any of those cards on there

move along

sure fermi better be faster... since it has 4 months on ATI, but we we all know, it will also be double the price!

That would be my guess. Performance crown short lived you think? That's what seems to happen.

What a profound statement that is, you have succeded in stating the obvious.

Time passes, technology improves, news flash at 11!

Last edited:
Wow dude you look to be way off. Prolly these sound more probable.

5970-$499
5870-$329
5850-$219

AMD won't even be in the same league as nvidia when fergie comes out, they'll be back to making budget cards.

Wow dude you look to be way off. Prolly these sound more probable.

5970-$499
5870-$329
5850-$219

When the price goes down to $329 on 5870, I am going to purchase one. I kind of wish I bought 5850 when it was released lol

I'll pick up a second 5870 when the price drops... and the eyefinity + cf sitch improves. :)

I'll pick up a second 5870 when the price drops... and the eyefinity + cf sitch improves. :)

Same here. Might do that, or if fermi is that much better as far as fps for the dollar, I'll go that route. To me it's the performance for the buck that counts....and if it's made by xfx and their bullet proof lifetime transferrable warranty and excellent quality customer service + friendly representatives that help you promptly with kindness and compassion. :)

Either way with competition finally around it's a win win situation no matter what brand you get.

Who knows if Fermi will be "much" faster? If it's only 10-20 % faster AMD is not going to be pressured to drop prices that drastically. Besides, knowing Nvidia they will price their top tier GPU at least $100 above the MSRP of the 5970.

Here are my "proposed" prices. This is, of course, assuming Fermi is competitive.

5970 - $529
5870 - $319
5850 - $219

I think he pulled it out of his ass. Notice the word "proposed." Who's making the proposition? Most likely him.

he pulled it out of his ass like everything he pulls out of his ass.. starting to make me wonder how big that ass of his really is..

and yes techie there will be a refresh.. the 5890 that should come out right before or right after the fermi launch.. that is if there ever is a fermi launch..

That would be my guess. Performance crown short lived you think? That's what seems to happen.

Don't talk about performance crown short lived. The ATI 6800 series will be announced Q3 2010 right after the Q2 Fermi launch. Try again

The 58/5900 series would be on the market for 7-9 months before Fermi Enthusiast cards shows up.

Don't talk about performance crown short lived. The ATI 6800 series will be announced Q3 2010 right after the Q2 Fermi launch. Try again

The 58/5900 series would be on the market for 7-9 months before Fermi Enthusiast cards shows up.

i doubt it will be that soon unless a game comes out from now til then that makes the 5k series obsolete.. we still havent seen any non reference design cards released yet.. ill say near the end of Q4 we will see something about a 6k series card and wont see a physical card til probably mid to late 2011..

we will most likely see a 5890 on or before the fermi launch and then maybe a 5990 or 5890x2 (since they say the only reason they arent using the x2 name is that the stock clocks of the 5970 are not the same as the 5870).. id like to see AMD go for broke on a 5k series card where there is no power limit set like the 5890 which was developed to fit within a 300w stock limit..

i doubt it will be that soon unless a game comes out from now til then that makes the 5k series obsolete.. we still havent seen any non reference design cards released yet.. ill say near the end of Q4 we will see something about a 6k series card and wont see a physical card til probably mid to late 2011..

we will most likely see a 5890 on or before the fermi launch and then maybe a 5990 or 5890x2 (since they say the only reason they arent using the x2 name is that the stock clocks of the 5970 are not the same as the 5870).. id like to see AMD go for broke on a 5k series card where there is no power limit set like the 5890 which was developed to fit within a 300w stock limit..

No your right, but I said announced which is different from released. Why release a card just before ATI's? Fermi should be held until Q3 is go against the 6800 cards. If Nvidia still releases Fermi this Spring, then I wouldn't expect another series from them until Q4 2011 to compete against the 6800 series. Good luck with that Nvidia. I will buy the fastest card available no matter the release date.

I've reported the OP's post. This guy does nothing but troll and gets away with it every day.

I've reported the OP's post. This guy does nothing but troll and gets away with it every day.

Yes...He is. He started some nonsense about Carsair PSU are junk in the PSU forum. 100% troll.

if you guys are not interested in the subject, rather than add to the pile, please, just hit the back button and move on.

Tip of the day:
The easy way to kill a fish is to not feed it for a week...

sure the prices of the 5XXX will drop when nvidia releases their new cards. how much? depends on how much faster the nvidia cards are compaired to the amd cards. also, i would guess that amd will have some sort of refresh (overclocked) cards ready, with a higher price.

a side note, i would also bet that the amd cards cost less to make then the nvidia cards. i would suspect that amd will still be able to turn a profit on their 5XXX cards.

Let me say that I suspect that through 2010 it's possible there will be moments where we don't have the fastest graphics card, but I expect that for the majority of 2010 we'll have the fastest card you can buy. I've good reason for believing that but I can't talk about unannounced products or any of the stuff we're doing to secure that.

coming from Amd :D There is something special waiting for Fergie :p

I doubt pricedrops will be that drastic after Fermi is released to market

prices will depend on what pricepoint Nvidia releases Fermi at and how the cards perform in comparison

Same here. Might do that, or if fermi is that much better as far as fps for the dollar, I'll go that route. To me it's the performance for the buck that counts....and if it's made by xfx and their bullet proof lifetime transferrable warranty and excellent quality customer service + friendly representatives that help you promptly with kindness and compassion. :)

Either way with competition finally around it's a win win situation no matter what brand you get.

yeah, I have always been that way also.. I gravitate to the tech with the best performance for your money.. but this eyefinity thing is so damn cool though... the thing about all this extra horse power, shooting it all at one display is getting old. at a certain point it's overkill to have a ball buster gpu on one display.. but driving three of them, or more.. that seems like to me a worthy cause for bionic gpu power.. :D wondering if Nvidia will impliment it's own eyefinity flavor.. I think it would be smart for them to do that.

Yeah, there is no need to be a fanboy of either side. I'll go wherever the price: performance king is whether it be Nvidia or ATI.

Too bad that the price will drop only if:
1) Fermi is released; and
2) Fermi is competitive in performance; and
3) The price of Fermi is not too high.

Ok

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100) in your sig

clearly you don't need any of those cards on there

move along

Come on now, dident you know that the GMA 3100 is the newest and badest video chipset out there. LOL
Sorry just had to..... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back