AMD or Nvidia control panel

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
Do I need to install the control panel for these card in order to get filtering options such as AA and AF? My thinking is this was really just for older games that did not support filtering or only offered a lower form which could be enhanced. Now such options are left on application controlled in the CP, and the game handles the settings for filtering and such. So is it really needed with today's titles??

Last edited:
I don't know that every setting is application controlled by default based on a perusal of the Nvidia Control Panel.

I would think you could probably get by without it, but I can't say that I've ever had an issue with it.

There are still games released today that either don't include AF options or their AF implementation is completely broken. I usually find that the NVIDIA AF works better than game AF, anyway, so I just set AF to x16 globally in the CP. You will also get more AA options with the CP than most games offer, but a lot of games will break if you try to override the AA with the CP. I would do some research in that case. Still, there are some things that need to be controlled with the CP, so it is good to have it. It takes up very little storage space and is run on-demand, so it doesn't take up any resources.

Are you trying to forego installing them at all? You lose a lot of other things by not installing those control panels. IE, gsync/freesync.

There are still games released today that either don't include AF options or their AF implementation is completely broken. I usually find that the NVIDIA AF works better than game AF, anyway, so I just set AF to x16 globally in the CP. You will also get more AA options with the CP than most games offer, but a lot of games will break if you try to override the AA with the CP. I would do some research in that case. Still, there are some things that need to be controlled with the CP, so it is good to have it. It takes up very little storage space and is run on-demand, so it doesn't take up any resources.
Setting 16x AF globally is not a very wise thing to do as there are a few games that can have issues. I used to do the same thing until FEAR 2 where doing that caused artifacts in the game.

Back