AMD Next Generation ATI Radeon Eyefinity Technology

With this new Eyefinity setup on the 5000 series cards, are you able to use just two monitors and can they be different sizes as well?

With this new Eyefinity setup on the 5000 series cards, are you able to use just two monitors and can they be different sizes as well?
That's actually a really good question, and something I've been wondering myself. As I (very slowly) upgrade, I end up with mismatched monitors. Retirement savings > computer upgrades in our house, so I settle for what I can get.

I guess the video card could render a single rectangle which would enclose both monitors, and simply discard pixels that don't fall on either monitor. (e.g. if you have a 1680x1050 and a 1280x1024, the card renders 2960x1050 and discards 30 rows of pixels where the 1280x1024 monitor sits).

Have you guys tested Eyefinity on mismatched-resolution monitors, or is it restricted to matching monitors?

Why would anyone want this? As for an extended desktop sure, but what type of game is going to benefit from multiple sized multiple resolution monitors, mimicking a single large display?

Diablo 3.
Race games.
MMOG.
etc...

Lot of fun playing with a wider field of vision.
just check out widescreengaming forum.

guys is there a review that shows how many frames you get when using eye infinity?im assuming the frames are very low since the resolution is so high?

Have you guys tested Eyefinity on mismatched-resolution monitors, or is it restricted to matching monitors?

Eyefinity display groups for 3D gaming CANNOT use displays of different pixel sizes. As for extended desktops, no probem.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The one thing I don't like about that pcper review is that they have AA turned on. AA is a big performance penalty when there are that many pixels being thrown around on 1 card.

You better call ergotron to get started on that mount. Hell, We should all buy stock, since a lot of people are probably going to start the multi-monitor thing in the future.

What kind of Arc are you gonna put on the 5 x 24" to keep it fluid?

Shoot.. If I could set up EyeFinity I'd rip up my monitors to get rid of that damn thick bezel line.

I think it would be really awesome if someone made a curved projection screen and then stitched say 6 1080p projectors together, but at a manageable size for desktop work. Probably would need to be projected from above.

Are those 24" monitors going to be 16:9 or 16:10?

Currently, the cheapest 24" monitor is a $210 16:9 or a $230 16:10. You could always go with a 28" (1920x1200) for $310.

Kyle,

Do you have a table clamp style monitor stand picked out to hold that 30''er up there?

Actually I already have a shelf behind there. You can see it in my old configuration.

quadmonitors.jpg

Here are the arms I use on my 30s on my test bench.

125605868145yrGjk6QE_1_3_l.jpg

i dont want to see your power bill

Still less power than when I ran two 22" CRTs.

Heck, my 48" 3xCRT rear projection TV (JVC AV-48WP30) uses significantly less power than the gaming rig I currently have plugged in to it. (My dedicated Media Center PC died, so I just moved my gaming rig until I get the Media Center system repaired.)

Back