AMD Next Generation ATI Radeon Eyefinity Technology

Kyle, please tell us what you meant. I have some purchasing decisions to make that hinge on how this is gonna flush out

What exactly is the question you want answered?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

How Ati plans on making eyefinity work with 3x DVI monitors

Exactly that is a huge deal for most of us here, that want to use Eyefinity. I am pretty upset after buying my 5870, knowing now, that I MUST have one monitor with Display Port :confused:

I currently have my Apple 30" Display with just DVI-D connection, was planning on adding two Dell 2007FP of 1600x1200res monitors but flipped up in Portrait mode so that all three Displays would then have a vertical res of 1600. But none of these monitors have Display Port, so I cant do that now ?

Exactly that is a huge deal for most of us here, that want to use Eyefinity. I am pretty upset after buying my 5870, knowing now, that I MUST have one monitor with Display Port :confused:

I currently have my Apple 30" Display with just DVI-D connection, was planning on adding two Dell 2007FP of 1600x1200res monitors but flipped up in Portrait mode so that all three Displays would then have a vertical res of 1600. But none of these monitors have Display Port, so I cant do that now ?

You can, but you need an ACTIVE display port adapter. The are not cheap ($99 for Dell's). According to Kyle in the post above, this might change.

Also, it is my understanding that in the near future you will NOT need an active adapter to output through DP to DVI or HDMI.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034668445&postcount=410

Question is, how is this going to happen? Though driver update (so to get away with passive adapters) or do you need to change the card?

I think all three monitors have to be the same configuration and resolution, so you may have screwed yourself twice.

I think all three monitors have to be the same configuration and resolution, so you may have screwed yourself twice.

No ? I think the most important thing is all three monitors having the same height or vertical resolution. So my 30" in landscape mode and the two 20" in Portrait mode would all be 1600res in height. As far as I know that would work no problem ? I know the free software program SoftTH has allowed that to work, I never tried it, but have seen it online working, so don't see why Eyefinity couldn't do it better ?

If that doesn't work then I totally had wrong idea and sucks. Then I would need to go out and buy all new monitors which I didn't plan too. Guess I won't be doing Eyefinity like I thought if the above is not possible ?

Last edited:
No ? I think the most important thing is all three monitors having the same height or vertical resolution. So my 30" in landscape mode and the two 20" in Portrait mode would all be 1600res in height. As far as I know that would work no problem ? I know the free software program SoftTH has allowed that to work, I never tried it, but have seen it online working, so don't see why Eyefinity couldn't do it better ?

I'm too lazy to check on it, but perhaps its just for gaming.

If that doesn't work then I totally had wrong idea and sucks. Then I would need to go out and buy all new monitors which I didn't plan too. Guess I won't be doing Eyefinity like I thought if the above is not possible ?

This combination works according to what I've read. The grouping of monitors needs a final resolution, in your case it would be 4960x1600. You'll need to change the rotation in CCC and then I think it would be ok to group them.

This combination works according to what I've read. The grouping of monitors needs a final resolution, in your case it would be 4960x1600. You'll need to change the rotation in CCC and then I think it would be ok to group them.

Thanks that's what I read too and would work, but problem is none of the 20" 1600x1200 monitors have Display Port, that is an outdated size now a days.

I think the only size that would work on either side of a 30" display that also has Display Port standard is a 20" 1600x900res monitor ? Flipped up in Portrait mode so it is 900x1600res. So would look like this; 1 - 20" of 900x1600res + 1 - 30" of 2560x1600res + 1 - 20" of 900x1600res = total res of 4360x1600res, and all three monitors having the same vertical or height res should work for Eyefinity ? So would be Portrait mode + Landscape mode + Portrait mode.

And these are pretty affordable monitors;
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8321

So if you do NOT have a Display Port monitor, but want to run triple screens for gaming Eyefinity style with the new Radeon HD 5870, you MUST have one of these ?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521#Overview

Per this forum post;
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

But I can't say 100% if this really does work, will have to watch those widescreengaming forums this week, few of the guys bought the Dell adapter, so we will know whether or not if it does indeed work ?

So if you do NOT have a Display Port monitor, but want to run triple screens for gaming Eyefinity style with the new Radeon HD 5870, you MUST have one of these ?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521#Overview

Per this forum post;
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

But I can't say 100% if this really does work, will have to watch those widescreengaming forums this week, few of the guys bought the Dell adapter, so we will know whether or not if it does indeed work ?

I'll be glad when monoprice starts producing them, jesus..

Somone on another forum reported that they couldn't get Eyefinity to work even though they had a native displayport Dell 2408WFP in the setup. Hmmm? We need answers. [H]ard answers. What's the deal with Eyefinity, ATI?

geniv2
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:07 am

WTFudge..

I hooked up the 3 monitors
DVI -> BenQ moniotr
DVI -> BenQ monitor
DP -> Dell 2408FWP (with a DP cable)

I can only use 2 screen at a time like previously ?!

btw: I got the Asus 5870 card. (but just using the standard CAtalyst control pannel)

http://www.widescreengamingforum.co...tart=240&sid=72fefa79dbda8230075687af1d5fbdd4

XP isn't supported. Someone else even states that like 10 posts down. :rolleyes:

Ok looks like the problem was the OS. Why is ATI not supporting XP for Eyefinity? Basically anyone running XP won't be able to benefit from a 5000 series card?

Ok looks like the problem was the OS. Why is ATI not supporting XP for Eyefinity? Basically anyone running XP won't be able to benefit from a 5000 series card?

Nope, absolutely no benefit at all in any way shape or form using a 5xxx card.

Sorry I am late to the game but can someone confirm if the new Efefinity can support the 3007WFP and 2 X 2007WFP side panels in portrait? I don'e see this configuration in the specs... Everything talks about symmetrical combination but I don't think this qualifies any input appreciated...

Sorry I am late to the game but can someone confirm if the new Efefinity can support the 3007WFP and 2 X 2007WFP side panels in portrait? I don'e see this configuration in the specs... Everything talks about symmetrical combination but I don't think this qualifies any input appreciated...

Nope, I was planning to do the exact same setup with my Apple 30" Display, per Dave B, who works for ATI, he said "No, that support isn't there. All panels in a "Display Group" must be the same orientation."
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=375

Man that is a REAL bummer but thanks for the heads up... I will not be doing this then...

Excellent review vid.

I remain baffled that people who put down this technology. This is pretty huge additional feature essentially thrown in for free. Even though I am not likely to ever use it (happy to have two monitors and my HDTV all connected to one card though), I recognize a sweet upgrade when I see it.

Maybe sour grapes from people who can't swing a 3 monitor setup? Good on ATI bringing something new to the table.

I completely agree.
Although expensive, this IS the technology that will separate PCs from console gaming.

I was very impressed. I think I'm going to jump this as soon as it's Crossfire ready.

You can get a Dell 2408 with DP connection for about 350 on Ebay, I have a 2407 already..........so add another older 2407 for even less..........

It's do-able for a pretty small investment.

Last edited:
This is a first time ever in my life where a video review of new technology has made me slobber on myself. Seriously. Sitting in front of my computer watching the video with my mouth hung open and a bit of drool dripped out of the corner of my mouth and on to my shirt.

As soon as I get a couple of bills paid off I'm getting the 5870x2 and 3 x 24" LCDs.

Thanks [H] for the most impressive and, more importantly, informative video review to date. :)

Kyle or Brent, on the 5870's that will have 6 dp's, will you be able to use a passive adapter to dvi as I can see a lot of cables running everywhere if not.

Kyle or Brent, on the 5870's that will have 6 dp's, will you be able to use a passive adapter to dvi as I can see a lot of cables running everywhere if not.

Dave Baumann (head of ATi 4000 and 5000 series) stated on WSGF that every card will only have 2 DP+ ports (2 clocks capable of passive legacy adaptors). So 2 with passive and 4 with active adaptors if you want 6 DVI/HDMI.

old OS, Microshop stop giving support, did I say old?
If your writing drivers, you sometimes need to draw a line.
windows xp is a dying OS.
It also dosnt have as good vddm for 3D.

Dave Baumann (head of ATi 4000 and 5000 series) stated on WSGF that every card will only have 2 DP+ ports (2 clocks capable of passive legacy adaptors). So 2 with passive and 4 with active adaptors if you want 6 DVI/HDMI.

There was something about the connector where data links were shared so certain connectors wouldn't work when others were being used.

To quote Dave Baumann
While there are Six TMDS/DP transmitters, there are only 2 clock sources on the ASIC. The issue with legacy display is that they all need their own clock generator - as soon as you plug in two DVI/VGA/HDMI you run out of clock sources. DP can time multiple outputs from a single clock generator.

What we do with these boards is add an additional clock source externally from the ASIC that is good for driving DP timing, but unfotunatly not others (the clock source is actually shared for another use, so we can't just arbitarily have any timing).

If you plug in a passive adapter to the DVI+DVI+HDMI+DP design then you it will use an internal clock source, up until you start plugging in other panels......

Including the 6 mini-DP port beast that is yet to be released.

Quote:
What if someone wanted to drive 6 DVI/HDMI panels from the card, 6 active adaptors? Each with their own power supply???

As already posted, 2 can be passive in this scenario.
The cards have timing sources for only 2 displays, so if you want a 3rd (or more, for the six port) display you need either a DP input on the monitor OR an active adaptor for every display beyond 2.

Another post here: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166596#166596

Last edited:
old OS, Microshop stop giving support, did I say old?
If your writing drivers, you sometimes need to draw a line.
windows xp is a dying OS.
It also dosnt have as good vddm for 3D.

XP is still the most popular OS for gamers. Latest Steam survey shows 52% of gamers are using Windows XP 32 bit.

Yeah I don't really trust the steam survey, I have had 3 different systems (7900GT, 8800GTX and now GTX280) and the steam survey thing has never picked up that they were in SLI on several attempts.
Although you gotta hope it would get the OS right! ;)
But I agree at the moment XP still pwns all other OS for gaming, Win7 ain't out yet and Vista still sucks some frame per seconds most of the time in tests I have seen [/threadjack]

XP is still the most popular OS for gamers. Latest Steam survey shows 52% of gamers are using Windows XP 32 bit.

Yes it is.
still dying though.
and windows 7 will be for many a faster adaption that vista had for obvious reasons.

Well I plan on ordering ALL the parts for my eyefinity build in about 2 weeks but after doing lots of reading I'll settle for one huge monitor for the time being until the issues with configuring three monitors are fixed. Also I hope some of thin bezel monitors release sooner than later so I could take advantage of those :)

Honestly I have a 30" Monitor and I am definitely thinking 3 X 24" in PORTRAIT mode.

Landscape is stil a bit crippled to me with the XXXX x 1200.

I hope they fix all the configurations on games to work with this mode. Until then the single monitor will suffice.

But 3 of those samsungs in portrait will be my everyday screen easily (hopefully they are VA monitors too!)

Anybody have an opinion on how CPU power will affect Eyefinity performance? I am getting a 5870 and three 22" LCDs (1680x1050) for Eyefinity, and I am considering upgrading to X58/i7 920 (from the specs in my sig) for this as well.
Thoughts?

Btw the HardOCP Eyefinity review was fantastic! So in-depth and professional!

Back