AMD Next Generation ATI Radeon Eyefinity Technology

That honestly does not do it for me. To me the best thing with "Eyefinity" is the idea of having the side views angled towards you for better immersion, not just one huge display right in front of you. I like the side monitors or screens to be on a angle away from the front main screen to make it more wrap around you.

Although bending the side screens in can give a somewhat immersive effect, having a very wide view is also extreemly immersive. This is why theater screens are in a wider aspect ratio then the 16:10/9 displays we have. Humans have fairly decent peripheral vision.
For example, put your arms out in front of your face. Now slowly widen them until they are at the maximum you can see. Ideally that is how wide an Eyefinity setup would be. Three projectors displays that matched that would be an incredible level of immersion. No screen bending needed.

Kyle,

My questions for you.

1) How is this any different from say a Matrox Triple head 2 go (besides what seems to be a monitor resolution?) Obviously the game will have to "support" the res.

2) what happens "IF" NVIDIA turns this on in the GeForce cards? (they have had the tech available on the Quadro line for sometime) will you be just as on board?

I don't mean any disrespect by this statement but there (to me) seems to be something that seems off on how you are touting this as what appears to "the end all be all" technology.

I only say this because I read [H]ard because 99% of the time you and the staff seem to be unbiased or at least dont get your "personal" feelings into articles where it doesnt belong.

I too think its cool and have been shopping for a TH2Go so this will be on the option list for me if NVIDIA doesnt have an answer.

We ask for higher performing hardware and get console ports that have most thinking my current setup handles games well enough.

The massive resolution capable with multi-monitors should show AMD/nVidia/Intel that there is a market share worth going after.

Egg before the chicken. We hope software follows. ;)

We ask for higher performing hardware and get console ports that have most thinking my current setup handles games well enough.

The massive resolution capable with multi-monitors should show AMD/nVidia/Intel that there is a market share worth going after.

Egg before the chicken. We hope software follows. ;)

Exactly, hoping we will see more decent "pc" games in future.

1253644620LArM1uIWNe_1_1.jpg

It looks like the PC is turned off...

PC perspective have some nice youtube videos of this in action:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=783&type=expert&pid=6

Comments are pretty obvious (most I mentioned about 10 pages back), looking at l4d:
-there is no separation for bezels so images jump from one to the next which is very distracting,needs fixed. Although bezels themselves don't look too bad (particularly if you could get some screens with thin ones).
-the ammo count appears on the far right of the right screen, this is not much good either.
-huge fish eye distortion which is horrible. He makes some excuse about periphery vision looking different, but tbh it's just distorted and wrong.
-windows desktop doesn't work well with one big screen. Dual view is much better.

Hence I think the concept is sound, but the implementation needs work. In particular:
-you should probably always run with dual view.
-the graphics card should then store some setting saying it has 3 screens, configured like X with separation between them of Y pixels and at an angle of Z degrees. There might even be more screens-you could have a forth one to display IRC, etc (most dual screen users game on one and have their social life on the other). The graphics card would know that forth one wasn't for gaming.
-games would need to be coded to recognise this multi-screen config and then do the correct thing, which would be:
------ know which was the command screen and put menus, ammo counts, status info in that one only.
------ render each screen separately taking account of separation and angle to the other screens which would give a perfect image on each screen.
-the graphics card could have a fallback for old games with no multi-screen config which did something like l4d above. It wouldn't be great but if you *must* use all 3 screens it would look ok. Obviously it would have to somehow convince the game it was running with one very wide screen despite windows being in dual view mode which might need additional support from windows.

In all this discussion, has anyone mentioned that you need monitors with displayport?

How about some support for those of us with just DVI/ HDMI?

Fidelity that's lost by the lcd bezels, even if you put the lcd screens without bezels, you still have a grid that's about 1/2 centimeter. You are telling me you notice the bigger pixels but can't see the grid?

How about watching a movie.

There is always a simple and easy solution called the Hacksaw and the trusty Dremel tool.

If you are planning on doing a 3x1 setup, then take the monitors out of their plastic case and "mod" them, that way you don't have any bezel to worry about.

I'm planning on doing that to 3 cheap 150 dollar 22" screens I currently own.

There is always a simple and easy solution called the Hacksaw and the trusty Dremel tool.

If you are planning on doing a 3x1 setup, then take the monitors out of their plastic case and "mod" them, that way you don't have any bezel to worry about.

I'm planning on doing that to 3 cheap 150 dollar 22" screens I currently own.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. Nearly all monitors have the CFL or LEDs placed next to the edge of the panel, beneath the bezel. Granted, the bezel is always bigger, but until someone starts manufacturing LCDs with the backlight located somewhere else.

Those dreaming of 3x display for movies, forget about it. Not it's intended purpose. As for minimizing bezel, Just overlap the side bezels. An instant 50% reduction. If someone can do a modest bezel mod(excess plastic removal) with an overlap reduction your standing in good shape. When the bezel management software is released it will be even better. Me I still have my eye on two more LED LCD projectors!

I can't wait for December........ :)

Radeon HD5870x2 displayed on 6 Samsung 22" displays with thin bezels. I alot of people mention 3 displays but the aspect ratio of some games would look too wide and some games will cut off the top and bottom, displaying a zoomed in view, like Far Cry 2. That Samsung setup looks incredible!!!!!! And has the pefect Eyefinity settings IMHO if you wanted this technology. 7680x3200 pixels, PVA screens, thin bezels, all connected to a telescopic carrier.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...nitor-setup-for-amd-eyefinity-technology.aspx

I can't wait for December........ :)

Radeon HD5870x2 displayed on 6 Samsung 22" displays with thin bezels. I alot of people mention 3 displays but the aspect ratio of some games would look too wide and some games will cut off the top and bottom, displaying a zoomed in view, like Far Cry 2. That Samsung setup looks incredible!!!!!! And has the pefect Eyefinity settings IMHO if you wanted this technology. 7680x3200 pixels, PVA screens, thin bezels, all connected to a telescopic carrier.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...nitor-setup-for-amd-eyefinity-technology.aspx

Any setup that includes a bezel in the way in the center of the screen space is retarded for gaming. (No, this doesn't count for games that aren't center-focused, like RTS which can use the second screen differently, anyways)

Kyle,

My questions for you.

1) How is this any different from say a Matrox Triple head 2 go (besides what seems to be a monitor resolution?) Obviously the game will have to "support" the res.

2) what happens "IF" NVIDIA turns this on in the GeForce cards? (they have had the tech available on the Quadro line for sometime) will you be just as on board?

I don't mean any disrespect by this statement but there (to me) seems to be something that seems off on how you are touting this as what appears to "the end all be all" technology.

I only say this because I read [H]ard because 99% of the time you and the staff seem to be unbiased or at least dont get your "personal" feelings into articles where it doesnt belong.

I too think its cool and have been shopping for a TH2Go so this will be on the option list for me if NVIDIA doesnt have an answer.

1. Matrox TH2 Digital is a $300 product in addition to the video card you need to power it. Here is our review from 2007 that looked at the product and gave it a gold editor's choice award. The real issue here is having the horsepower to push the pixels you need. I would suggest that gaming on a triple display configuration is going to be a greatly different experience at 24" than at 19".

2. I would openly welcome more competition in the market place. Always have. Always will. Could care less about who is the maker. To suggest otherwise with your question is an insult and really see no reason to ask the question if you think we are unbiased.

In all this discussion, has anyone mentioned that you need monitors with displayport?

How about some support for those of us with just DVI/ HDMI?

This is one of the reasons we are holding off on our review of Eyefinity. Trying to get three DVI monitors working. We know it is possible, but have not been able to do it in-house.

Then you get a card with dvi and hdmi connectors?

Just FYI, on the 5870 that we had, the HDMI and one of the DVI "share" hardware so only one can be used at a time. Yes, there are 4 outputs on the back, but only 3 can be utilized at one time.

Kyle, so three DVI-D can not work for Eyefinity ? One MUST be DisplayPort ? What about a converter from DP to DVI-D is there such a thing ?

And the huge question of Crossfire and working in Eyefinity ? That better work soon I hope. I mean gaming on multiple monitors just screams Crossfire

Kyle, so three DVI-D can not work for Eyefinity ? One MUST be DisplayPort ? What about a converter from DP to DVI-D is there such a thing ?

And the huge question of Crossfire and working in Eyefinity ? That better work soon I hope. I mean gaming on multiple monitors just screams Crossfire

AMD has made us understand that a 3 DVI Eyefinity configuration can work with an active DP to DVI adapter. You cannot use a simple passthrough connector. This is the only one I could find to test with. I have not been able to get it to work in my testing, and it may be due to my adapter. The current 24" 3x1 Eyefinity setting I am using is using two DVI and one DP.

Also, it is my understanding that in the near future you will NOT need an active adapter to output through DP to DVI or HDMI.

Last edited:
So, I'm wondering with all the hassles this will impose, will DP win out for the connector crown, just because of the convenience it will give with this converter mess and the option of a 6 DP card.

So, I'm wondering with all the hassles this will impose, will DP win out for the connector crown, just because of the convenience it will give with this converter mess and the option of a 6 DP card.

Yes, DP will win out. It is technically superior to DVI/HDMI.

I however do not know if we will see a partner put 3 DVI on a 5870/50 board but I will ask.

I think I have that already :)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

My Apple 30" Display I have been using since 2006 has the big white box on my desk, and a few cables coming off it, I have just been using the DVI-D all this time, but never really looked at the other cables. One of those might be Display Port ?

If so, then I can add two of these on either side http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4687
of the 30" Display and flip those 20" in Portrait mode, so all three monitors will then have a vertical height of 1600res ?

Would that work for me ?

UPDATE;

No, those other two cables coming off the Apple 30" Display one is USB, one is DVI-D which I have been using , and the other I am not sure what it is, but it will not fit it anything on the 5870, thats for sure, so must not be DisplayPort

Last edited:
Any setup that includes a bezel in the way in the center of the screen space is retarded for gaming. (No, this doesn't count for games that aren't center-focused, like RTS which can use the second screen differently, anyways)

Agreed. 3x tilted widescreens makes sense to me. You get clear vision in the center, and a slightly wider than normal aspect ratio. See the resi 5 screenshots in Anand's 5870 review.

For those worried about displayport on the 6x mini-displayport card, why not just use adapters?

Thanks Kyle.

Hmm...I thought this box connected to my Apple 30" Display had DP included, I guess it is some different connector ?

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Thanks Kyle.

Hmm...I thought this box connected to my Apple 30" Display had DP included, I guess it is some different connector ?

That is a USB and FireWire if I am seeing that correctly.

I think I have that already :)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

My Apple 30" Display I have been using since 2006 has the big white box on my desk, and a few cables coming off it, I have just been using the DVI-D all this time, but never really looked at the other cables. One of those might be Display Port ?

If so, then I can add two of these on either side http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4687
of the 30" Display and flip those 20" in Portrait mode, so all three monitors will then have a vertical height of 1600res ?

Would that work for me ?

UPDATE;

No, those other two cables coming off the Apple 30" Display one is USB, one is DVI-D which I have been using , and the other I am not sure what it is, but it will not fit it anything on the 5870, thats for sure, so must not be DisplayPort

Your Apple 30" has DVI, USB, and Firewire ports. I have no idea why it doesn't have Displayport as Apple has seemed to be pushing that standard recently.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9179LL/A

Is this the cable that you need, Kyle? Cos Newegg has some.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=displayport_to_dvi-_-12-200-367-_-Product

Or do you need something more like this?
http://www.cablesondemand.com/pcate...log/Library/InfoManage/DISPLAYPORT_CABLES.htm

Or maybe this?
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253909648&sr=8-9

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My Dell 3008WFP has one. I think it was the first to add a DP.

Let me say this again, the dongle currently required is ACTIVE, not simply a passthrough. No, none of those will currently work.

Might read this post again....http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034668445&postcount=410

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've never heard of an active adapter before. What does it do that makes it different from a passive one?

Ok found one. But it's $99 from Dell.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521#Overview

PS You mentioned that ATI was going to have a fix so that people would no longer have to buy active adapters. How are they going to do that? Will it be a bios flash, driver update, or are early adopters of the 5870 out of luck?

Last edited:
PS You mentioned that ATI was going to have a fix so that people would no longer have to buy active adapters. How are they going to do that? Will it be a bios flash, driver update, or are early adopters of the 5870 out of luck?

No, I did not say that. Please quote me instead of turning my words into something the are not. This is how bad rumors get started.

Also, it is my understanding that in the near future you will NOT need an active adapter to output through DP to DVI or HDMI.

Yes, that's the sentence that I was talking about. Would you care clarify what you meant?

Kyle's response seems to indicate he wasn't told straight up exactly what they have planned.

If I'm wrong I'll take my beating. :D

The more I see, the more I want to build a Eyefinity setup.

I hope when Kyle does the Eyefinity review that he can test/show the difference between using TN vs VA vs IPS monitors.

The only other downside besides for price is game support.

Kyle, please tell us what you meant. I have some purchasing decisions to make that hinge on how this is gonna flush out

Back