AMD Nano running 4K 60HZ HDMI 2.0

4K60 is a tiny market segment overall, but probably a large market segment for people interested in building an mITX gaming PC. If you are using a 4K monitor with DP then you probably are a gamer using a normal gaming PC. mITX builds are popular for HTPCs.

I would buy one of these cards, but no HDMI 2.0 is a deal breaker. My 4K TV doesn't support DP.

so why waste millions in manufacturing costs for, as you say, tiny market segment "overall"?

Youll never recoup the costs...

AMD has said more than once, they want eveyrone to use DP.

They arent interested in HDMI 2.0.

so why waste millions in manufacturing costs for, as you say, tiny market segment "overall"?

Youll never recoup the costs...

AMD has said more than once, they want eveyrone to use DP.

They arent interested in HDMI 2.0.
Good question. I don't know. They know this is a high margin, niche part so they probably just don't care about including HDMI 2.0. That said, I still feel that not including HDMI 2.0 is a miss. They are going to have to include it eventually because AMD isn't large enough nor do they have enough market share to command display connectivity.

I agree with them that DP is a superior connector, but unfortunately TV manufacturers still don't include it.

Good question. I don't know. They know this is a high margin, niche part so they probably just don't care about including HDMI 2.0. That said, I still feel that not including HDMI 2.0 is a miss. They are going to have to include it eventually because AMD isn't large enough nor do they have enough market share to command display connectivity.

I agree with them that DP is a superior connector, but unfortunately TV manufacturers still don't include it.

TV connectors not including it is not the primary issue. In the living room, TVs come and go but receivers stay for quite a while. DP compatible receivers are few and far between as is, and people tend to hold onto beloved receivers for a while.

Lets see
It's a bandaide fix for a product line that cost MORE money that should have been standard
And it introduces lag...

Sign me up spanky...

why bother.

4K60hz are such a tiny market segment, it doesnt make business sence to waste the silicon realestate, added BOM, and general engineering overhead.

Because my 65" Samsung JS9500 can do 4k@60hz via HDMI 2.0 when connected to my HTPC, that's why. If I had a DP connector on my TV or receiver, would be a non-issue.

also the 1440p Korean panels that do 120hz+ only support DLDVI. AFAIK the fury cards don't support this

Seems like everyone else knows more or is releasing more information about this dongle than Elmy lol

I know my post was near the end of the page... but is NOBODY actually interested in the fact that Elmy is NOT running the display at 60 Hz?

The display is 50% frame skipping in the video (running at 30Hz). Whether that is the display or it is a limitation of the dongle, it is unknown.

I know my post was near the end of the page... but is NOBODY actually interested in the fact that Elmy is NOT running the display at 60 Hz?

The display is 50% frame skipping in the video (running at 30Hz). Whether that is the display or it is a limitation of the dongle, it is unknown.

Saw video again, says 60fps at 4k...what are you talking about?

anyways, as far as elmy knows, he's the only guy IN THE WORLD who has the dongle.

IN THE WORLD

Saw video again, says 60fps at 4k...what are you talking about?

anyways, as far as elmy knows, he's the only guy IN THE WORLD who has the dongle.

IN THE WORLD

FrameSkip.JPG

If you know how to use tha validation animation in that video, you know that this frame shows 1 frame dropped.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

This gives a REALLY good example of how to check for Frame Skipping:

Link Above said:
Compare to example good photo and example frameskipped photo. The photo should have a sequence of multiple solid squares, with no gaps in between. If there are gaps, then there is frame skipping

Rumored to be around $100. :(

SMH. Should be included by AMD in the box at the pricepoint they're asking for the Fury line. Otherwise why pay $750 total for a Nano to hook it up to a livingroom 4K set, when a 980 Ti manages it for $650 with no adapters or extra latency? (to say nothing of performance difference).

I guess I'm not sure who this adapter is exactly for except people that expend emotional energy being mad at Nvidia.

its a TV, it has latency just by the fact its a TV.

The dongle wont add any noticable additional..

SMH. Should be included by AMD in the box at the pricepoint they're asking for the Fury line. Otherwise why pay $750 total for a Nano to hook it up to a livingroom 4K set, when a 980 Ti manages it for $650 with no adapters or extra latency? (to say nothing of performance difference).

I guess I'm not sure who this adapter is exactly for except people that expend emotional energy being mad at Nvidia.

Size matters I guess ;)
That dongle doesn't take much room either ;).
But were going to keep your opinion on record when Nvidia makes their first HBM based micro ATX card.

Didn't know there are 40 years old fanboys before this forum, on both sides.
Surprises me on Nvidia vs AMD fanboys, as they have had pretty much the same +/- 5% performance delta on their best cards, not really much of a difference, you put a card in your pc and you play games, doesnt matter which color it is.

For the Intel vs AMD part, i don't know how AMD fanboys exist at all as they have made a 8 core CPU that targets to compete with dual cores in gaming.... Hard to be a fan of something that is widely regarded as a huge failure, but still defend it because you bought it/ emotional attachment to inferior product?

Didn't know there are 40 years old fanboys before this forum, on both sides.
Surprises me on Nvidia vs AMD fanboys, as they have had pretty much the same +/- 5% performance delta on their best cards, not really much of a difference, you put a card in your pc and you play games, doesnt matter which color it is.

For the Intel vs AMD part, i don't know how AMD fanboys exist at all as they have made a 8 core CPU that targets to compete with dual cores in gaming.... Hard to be a fan of something that is widely regarded as a huge failure, but still defend it because you bought it/ emotional attachment to inferior product?

Nice asinine commentary. So what is your point? Elaborate.

Nice asinine commentary. So what is your point? Elaborate.

This thread started off for a product that fixes problem in an AMD card, and turned out to be AMD vs NVIDIA.

And the other guy calling me a fanboy? If AMD CPUs are garbage and i will bash them in every thread here, how does that make me a fanboy? it makes me a hate-boy.

It doesnt fix a problem.

There is no problem.

It adds a feature.

The higher end Samsung TV's have very acceptable latency for gaming, just ask Kyle.

An active dongle will add more latency and turn acceptable into unacceptable.

Why is everyone trying to justify this? AMD decided to go with HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0 for who knows what reason. Cheap? Likely.

Now, the promised third party dongle adds latency, is really 30hz instead of 60hz and is going to be +/-100 bucks. Great value there.

It will be good for those who already have purchased the card and it would be acceptable to get it around 80$ instead of the user selling their current AMD card and getting a NVIDIA.
i myself wanted to get a 4k TV and get another 290, but i will surely get a 1080p big screen TV since the cost will be too much for me, +250 for gpu, +100 for this + 400 for TV.
But i am sure some people will buy it

The higher end Samsung TV's have very acceptable latency for gaming, just ask Kyle.

An active dongle will add more latency and turn acceptable into unacceptable.

Why is everyone trying to justify this? AMD decided to go with HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0 for who knows what reason. Cheap? Likely.

Now, the promised third party dongle adds latency, is really 30hz instead of 60hz and is going to be +/-100 bucks. Great value there.

yes, because everyone owns a "high-end" Samsung 4K@60 TV.

lol

No one is justifying anything, i just pointed out its not fixing anything, because nothing is broken.

We know why they did not include HDMI 2.0, They have told us: They want us to use DP, they aren't interested in HDMI 2.0.

They should have had HDMI2.0 on the card for a HTPC card.
No one can say that is not a stupid move.
Still the dongle fixes the only issue I can see besides price.
Drop the Nano to 575 or 600 and then we have a product with a solid price point.

And Vizio TVs used to have some of the worst input lag out there. 80-120ms was typical a few years ago. I'm not sure if this has changed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't.

Not impressed with the frameskipping + $100 dongle, either.

yes, because everyone owns a "high-end" Samsung 4K@60 TV.

lol

No one is justifying anything, i just pointed out its not fixing anything, because nothing is broken.

We know why they did not include HDMI 2.0, They have told us: They want us to use DP, they aren't interested in HDMI 2.0.

People who are interested in 4k @ 60hz are spending 1000+ on video cards alone. It's safe to say those same people are interested in having a quality large format 4k display.

This is a bleeding edge discussion. You can't debate bleeding edge components designed for 4k and the sme breath say 'lol no one buys those' when they are one of the more popular choices out there at this level.

AMD could have easily left the HDMI port off completely if all they cared about was DP. Which, for a HTPC targeted card is retarded. Putting a HDMI 1.4 port on the card though, when 2.0 is needed for 60hz, was a step beyond retarded.

Don't forget, AMD said Fury would be an overclocking monster. Don't believe everything they spew. They didn't use HDMI 2.0 because of the licensing cost, I am sure.

Seems like everyone else knows more or is releasing more information about this dongle than Elmy lol

I know more than everyone else.... I just can't say anything .... I can't even repeat what has been said by the company that is making it ... I can't say what company is making it.

What I can tell you is that I tested it on the Nano and it works on my 70" 4K Vizio that has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. BF4 60Hz was available on the drop down menu and it played rather smoothly.

I will also be testing it on my HTPC that has an AMD A8-5700 in it. Just haven't gotten to it yet. I was sent it just to test and report back on my findings.

I will test it again for frame skipping. I took pics with my Nikon and didn't see it before.

:-/

Last edited:
Since when does input lag become more important than amazing visuals, spcly on a 4k tv? In gaming I mean.
Is it that bad that you can notice it/?, i am planning to get a TV just for a few games myself

It doesnt fix a problem.

There is no problem.

It adds a feature.

It adds a feature that, by most accounts, will cost an extra $100, that the competition includes on their card for the same price as the AMD cards all while providing similar (if we're talking Fury X) to much better (Nano) performance. So for people looking to output to a 4k TV it kinda is a problem.

Well no you're right, it's not a problem.

They just buy the competition.

Since when does input lag become more important than amazing visuals, spcly on a 4k tv? In gaming I mean.
Is it that bad that you can notice it/?, i am planning to get a TV just for a few games myself
Well I sit about 6-8 feet away from my 4K TV vs about 30" for my monitor, so I am not as concerned with visuals being perfect on my TV as I would be on my PC monitor. And TVs generally have much worse input latency than a monitor, so it's a lot more noticeable if you have a slow TV. Since I use my TV primarily for gaming, that's an important consideration.

Also, the Vizio 65" M65-C1 is about 1/2 the cost of a comparable Samsung. Is the Samsung nicer? Yes. Is it worth 100% more money? No.

It adds a feature that, by most accounts, will cost an extra $100, that the competition includes on their card for the same price as the AMD cards all while providing similar (if we're talking Fury X) to much better (Nano) performance. So for people looking to output to a 4k TV it kinda is a problem.

Well no you're right, it's not a problem.

They just buy the competition.

boom. this right here.

too small of a segment for AMD to give a shit..

Buy an nividia if you need HDMI 2.0

Ya know now that I think about it you're right. Since the Nano can't possibly power 4k@60Hz gaming there was absolutely no need for them to support it.

I think we all know your point of view Dragon.
Care to explain why you feel the need to post it over and over lol?
Seems kind of odd.

Back