AMD Launches Ryzen Threadripper Pro - OEM only

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1591...eadripper-pro-workstation-parts-for-oems-only
Today, AMD is announcing its first set of workstation products, under the Ryzen Threadripper Pro branding. However, it should be noted that these processors will only be available as part of pre-built systems, and no corresponding consumer motherboards will be made available.

Interesting. A new workstation OEM part enters the market.

"XT" for the TR's?? Actually, it's more than that. Makes the TR more like like a workstation Epyc. TR before was still a bit hampered by desktop-isms.

Interesting... but OEM only?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
As somebody shopping currently to build a Threadripper workstation I am conflicted by this, Accounting would love for me to just buy a Lenovo server (as they are the launch partner) and not have to deal with building my own. Too many parts for consumer Threadripper have RGB or Gaming in the title which makes things hard to explain or justify to the Auditors but at the same time I don't want to have to wait much longer for this and I am not sure that the added 4 memory channels or addition of the AMP Pro tools would benefit the intended work loads by much. Bah! AMD is not making my life easy on this.

It's like the ryzen pro skus, but for TR. Slightly lower TDP, lower boost clocks, but more stable and probably a better price for OEMs.

As somebody shopping currently to build a Threadripper workstation I am conflicted by this, Accounting would love for me to just buy a Lenovo server (as they are the launch partner) and not have to deal with building my own. Too many parts for consumer Threadripper have RGB or Gaming in the title which makes things hard to explain or justify to the Auditors but at the same time I don't want to have to wait much longer for this and I am not sure that the added 4 memory channels or addition of the AMP Pro tools would benefit the intended work loads by much. Bah! AMD is not making my life easy on this.
If there is an ASUS TUF board or similar for that it might be the way to go.
Could you get a prebuilt from a smaller build company that is decent? That'd be the easiest way around it..

too bad these won't be sold retail. not that I could afford one but these neatly address both the memory limitations of TR and the clock limitations of EPYC and I could see demand for these from Workstation users who like to DIY.

If there is an ASUS TUF board or similar for that it might be the way to go.
Could you get a prebuilt from a smaller build company that is decent? That'd be the easiest way around it..
It’s not just the MB, but also the ram and the coolers and all that stuff. I can reach out to the smaller companies in the area we are remote so they are few and far between. Either way I have a few months to figure it out, the Threadripper is like step 8 and I’m still on step 2.

It's like the ryzen pro skus, but for TR. Slightly lower TDP, lower boost clocks, but more stable and probably a better price for OEMs.

It's more akin to an overclocked Epyc than a Ryzen Pro - Epyc and TR use different IO dies and I'm pretty sure TR Pro uses the Epyc IO die with a possible small hub chip on the board to provide more USB.
It's a pity boards won't be available, this is pretty much everything you'll ever want in one chip; it combines TR's high clocks with Epyc's I/O capabilities, and as a workstation-targeted part the boards will have sound and USB ports too, something which is severely lacking on current Epyc offerings.

I’ll agree with most everyone but after watching level one techs video I can understand why it’ll be OEM only for the time being. I’d love to get my hands on one of these setups.

I’ll agree with most everyone but after watching level one techs video I can understand why it’ll be OEM only for the time being. I’d love to get my hands on one of these setups.
It’s probably a limited run part, next year they may expand on it but it’s a new market for AMD and I’m glad they are stepping into it. I’ve got a quote request in for a unit with a 3975 so I’ll see what I’m looking at, but part of me wants to build my own.

It's more akin to an overclocked Epyc than a Ryzen Pro - Epyc and TR use different IO dies and I'm pretty sure TR Pro uses the Epyc IO die with a possible small hub chip on the board to provide more USB.
It's a pity boards won't be available, this is pretty much everything you'll ever want in one chip; it combines TR's high clocks with Epyc's I/O capabilities, and as a workstation-targeted part the boards will have sound and USB ports too, something which is severely lacking on current Epyc offerings.
Yeah it seems more likely to me that they are using a modified or cut down EPYC than a beefed up Threadripper, the socket and chipset specs look more in line with Epyc's, same with the memory configurations and the PCIE lanes. It's far cheaper to cut something down than build it up, and it would make more sense for a limited release or a trial to do that than essentially build a whole new part.

Also, who wants to buy this then get Zen 3 dropped in their face. Seems really weird its not a zen 3 part this late in the game.

You can turn all the RGB off you want. However, keep in mind that server boards are certified component wise to have 24/7 high availability and stability over the course of decades if you need it to run that long. I am using a Xeon E51600 series chip and a SuperMicro Motherboard that has been running 24/7 since 2012. It is my ESXi machine that is running several VMs on it.

You can turn all the RGB off you want. However, keep in mind that server boards are certified component wise to have 24/7 high availability and stability over the course of decades if you need it to run that long. I am using a Xeon E51600 series chip and a SuperMicro Motherboard that has been running 24/7 since 2012. It is my ESXi machine that is running several VMs on it.
It’s not the RGB being on or off it’s when year end rolls around and I have a government accountant looking through our purchases and all of a sudden he comes across a receipt for $6000 in miscellaneous computer parts called RGB gaming Extreme, or Gamer X, or other parts and they go “why is this guy buying gaming stuff???” It’s strictly the naming that most of the threadripper parts and certified components have used for marketing and branding. It just looks bad if I explain it to the auditors they would probably just go “ok” and continue on with their jobs. It’s just not a conversation I want to have with them.

Also, who wants to buy this then get Zen 3 dropped in their face. Seems really weird its not a zen 3 part this late in the game.
Certification takes a long time, and isn’t cheap. I’m sorta impressed they managed to get it done as fast as they did.

Back