• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD Is FXing Serious

I'll stick to Intel. I was happy with my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ back in the day, giving INTEL it's run for it's money... but sense Core2Duo, Intel all the way. AMD Lost it's balls years ago on competing and just resorting to making half ass processors while banking hard on it's marketing.

Bulldozer turned into a pile of pooh and Piledriver id hardly call amazing answer to Intel's i3/i5/i7

With it's heat output and lack of overclocking potential.. unless you cripple it so only a single core runs... AMD is a laughing stock and Intel is running to the bank with billions because their heat is down, performance is up and ability to go smaller without worrying about heat, they can further get a lead on the mobile market while AMD Seems to thumb it's nose, increase heat, lack in performance.

Ever sense AMD Decided to buy ATi, they have gone down-hill. They should never have absolved ATi into their system and in fact, decided to partnership with them in collaboration like nVidia + Intel have.

That was the true shot in the foot and now hemorrhaging blood.

I'll happily sit on the side of Intel in this.. even tho I don't like the fact that their is absolutely no performance competition in this race and we the consumer get the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately, I dont see AMD coming out swinging to big with ZEN being the fact their R&D Department is horribly small sense they lost considerable heavy ground to nVidia AND Intel.

According to Steam, nVidia has a 56.58% of the GPU market, and Intel has 76.73% of the CPU market.

Those alone aren't good numbers for AMD.
 
Last edited:
I think Zen will turn things around and it's due for release later this year.
 
Actually, I'd say that AMD could be useful in the consumer CPU market. The average consumer is not the [H] type. AMD's current mundane line of CPUs can serve the average consumer just fine, the same as Intel does with their lower end products. Of course AMD hasn't been particularly great in the marketing department, at best they were OK around 10+ years ago when there were still tons of little OEMs everywhere producing low end to mid-tier PC builds and selling them via the mass market. These days though, putting together a CPU and then chipset to go with it for a mobile platform is something AMD doesn't seem capable of doing, and that would hurt any company trying to compete against Intel(nevermind all of the other CPUs used in smaller mobile devices like tablets and phones from other manufacturers).

Assuming AMD is capable of producing something worthy of competing with Intel for the top-end consumer market(that's where the [H] people fall into), it should be easy for them to get at least a little marketshare. But no, they haven't done much of anything for years letting Intel sit on their ass and not even having to try to compete with anyone. The next option after that is what, enterprise? LOL. Not a chance from AMD unless they make a massive turnaround and damned quick.
Yes they have products that are suitable for consumers. The problem is why would anyone buy an AMD chipset/CPU when there is an intel alternative on every tier of the market, that is more powerful in single threaded performance? Is it suitable for the purpose? Yes, but it's not as good as Intel's solutions. And at that point I become fan of bang for buck and no brad loyalty can change that.
 
*sigh* Remember back in the day though? AMD was kicking ass and taking names. They definitely kept Intel on their toes.

Their butt kicking stopped the moment they said "We are not competing in the high end segment anymore"
 
Imagine Intel without AMD.

We don't have to, AMD hasn't released a new high-end chip design in 4 years. The i3-6100 beats their top of the line in most gaming tests. That's why the i7-6700k is so much more expensive than the i7-2600k that launched when AMD was at least somewhat competitive. Intel is ripping us off across the board.

Now, Intel even has a mid-range iGPU (the 530) that compares favorably to AMD's iGPUs. AMD needs some new products, because there isn't a compelling reason to go AMD at any price point right now.
 
So turn it into a Win98 retro gaming box.. provided there are Win98 drivers for the chipset.

All 3 of my retro systems are / are going to be AMD.

DOS/Win98SE for DOS and 3dfx stuff - Athlon XP-M 2800+ Barton
Win98SE - delided Opteron 175
XP - AM3/AM3+ setup initially with an Athlon II X3 that hopefully unlocks to Phenom II X4

All are way overkill and all will be overclocked to boot, but hey, why not.

Lol nice, need more space for sure. I have an OLD dell laptop with Win98SE for DOS.... but I find that I don't really use it since GoG and the dos emulators work so well.
 
Yes they have products that are suitable for consumers. The problem is why would anyone buy an AMD chipset/CPU when there is an intel alternative on every tier of the market, that is more powerful in single threaded performance? Is it suitable for the purpose? Yes, but it's not as good as Intel's solutions. And at that point I become fan of bang for buck and no brad loyalty can change that.
price. how many GB RAM and TB HDD/SSD and the lowest price. that is the determining factor for 75% of PC purchases. as I stated in the i3 vs FX thread:
most buyers walk into Walmart, staples, best buy or where ever and pick up whichever unit is on sale with the biggest discount. that is how 75% of PCs are sold. if said unit has an i3 they get an i3, if it has an FX they get FX. its as simple as that. the average buyer does not care what is in it only about how cheap they can get it.

edit: hell even on hp's site you can compare the 550t vs 550h. both are identical except i3-4350 vs a6-8550 and the intel is $450 while amd is $350. the average consumer will take the amd for the $100 savings. they get a pc AND can party on the weekend.

[H] is NOT the average consumer.
 
Last edited:
some folks comments are just lol and typical as hell.....I just came here to say LOL FXing serious, nice one AMD :respect: :D
I have had far more stable systems using AMD, then I ever had using Intel, I myself am same as someone in here stated with a twist, I support AMD cause they do the best they can with what they have(like me) are doing as much as they can for everyone they are able to(like me) so therefore I will support them, cause they realized that properietary crap hurts the industry does not help it.

Cut to the chase, he said

OK, I'm not poor, just [C]heap.

As am I, have to make the dollars count as much as possible, and at time I bought and am still using my Phenom II TRUE quad(unlike them BS FX4 :D) the Intel comparative part was going to cost me minimum of ~$400 extra cash I did not have AND I was hoping BD would have been much better then it turned out to be(thanks for bad marketing crud in my books)

Anywho, They are not omg nasty performance, have never been, is Intel faster, most cases yes, are they less power, yes(I tweak mine run lower volts anyways while still clocked up higher) are they better value for $ spent(Intel) not always, I use what I personally can afford and believe in, AMD is that company, not Intel and their amazingly corrupt ways of business and certainly not Nvidia who can rot for all I care(burned multiple times with their products over the years) AMD, so for sure I hope Zen/Polairs/AM4 is AMD getting FXing serious :D
 
I have had far more stable systems using AMD, then I ever had using Intel,

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Are you claiming Intel systems are some unstable? If so thats pure horseshit you convince yourself to justify your purchase. Intel is not dominating the market becuase they are unstable...

I myself am same as someone in here stated with a twist, I support AMD cause they do the best they can with what they have(like me) are doing as much as they can for everyone they are able to(like me) so therefore I will support them, cause they realized that properietary crap hurts the industry does not help it.

Ill call bullshit yet again. They have tried several times to have their own proprietary crap they just fail miserably.

The level of fanboyism is amazing. What you are saying is flat out bullshit. Do you think everyone is so stupid that we would buy that bullshit?

Its amazing how fanboys justify this shit to themselves yet fail to see the idiocy of what they are doing.
 
Saying AMD doesn't do Propriety is like nVidia claiming they never do GameWorks.

AMD is JUST as guilty with the shit as nVidia is.

Intel however tends to do more to actually BETTER the industry.

As far as Intel Unstable? WTF???

intel has been dominating the market.. and you claim their systems are unstable? news flash.

I have an Core i5 760 @ 4.2GHz, never had an issue with the system being unstable.

That was when Core series JUST came out. Please provide solid proof.. that Intel is unstable.
 
Basically AMD hasn't been truly competitive since the advent of the Core architecture chips.
And once Core2 hit, they basically stopped even trying to put out enthusiast chips.

Instead of being the trailblazer that said "Fuck 32-bit! Fuck IA-64! We're going 64-bit x86 NOW!", they've gone back to being the also-rans who make shitty knockoffs to sell to barrel-bottom scrapers.

Sure, the market is grotesquely overpowered for basic office productivity nowadays, but if AMD really wants to be competitive, they need to actually be competitive!

I think the big problem is, they should never have absorbed ATI. Between the CPU and GPU groups, they've got too much competition for too few resources...
 
Wow, Intel fanboys are super sensitive here, I wonder why? :cry::eek::rolleyes: Dude said that he has had far more stable systems with AMD than Intel, not that Intel is completely unstable. (Amazing what Intel Fanboys will read into something when they are trying to defend their favorite company.) On the other hand, I am pleased to see AMD getting serious about things again, it has been a while since they had done that. No, Intel has not done things to move the industry forward, they have created things to make themselves money, just like any other company. Makes me wish I had stuck with AMD over going for that 6700k just to keep away from their fanboy shaming practices. (Have I said fanboy enough? :D)

Truly though, I have seen no real day to day difference since I game at 4k. (Not no difference, just not $800 difference but, the video card upgrade I did was a big difference.) :nailbiting: Some folks just get all bent out of shape when others consider AMD as objectively good but hey, maybe they just do not like that?
 
The guy who said about instability may have a point. Usually the errata lists (ones I was looking at in c2d days) are much larger than the equivalent AMD lists, to the point where I believe a large Millitary wing determined they were not fit for use due to this. 99% of users will not be affected but it's something to take into consideration.

That was shortly after Intel work was going to Israel. Wonder what happened..

That said, if AMD brings out something that can compete with Intels 8 core stuff for video editing and still do well in games, I'm sitting on the cash...
 
I'll believe it when actual product reviews happen, not marketing wank material.

Intel lending more to better the industry? LOL. I'll never understand why people pick sides for things like this. I go with the company that gives me the best bang for the buck, assuming the bang is big enough for me to be interested in. Intel does enough to keep their marketshare, for which the bar has been pretty low over the past few years due to lack of competition for performance and cost.
 
We don't have to, AMD hasn't released a new high-end chip design in 4 years. The i3-6100 beats their top of the line in most gaming tests. That's why the i7-6700k is so much more expensive than the i7-2600k that launched when AMD was at least somewhat competitive. Intel is ripping us off across the board.

Now, Intel even has a mid-range iGPU (the 530) that compares favorably to AMD's iGPUs. AMD needs some new products, because there isn't a compelling reason to go AMD at any price point right now.

These days it's really Intel vs ARM. ARM cranks out a design every so often, and each of their licensees deal with all the fabrication issues, with big players like Samsung and Qualcomm covering the high end and mid level players like Rockchips at the bottom performancewise and ARM just keeps rolling on. Each generation they close the gap with Intel, and they're not in a great rush. Imagine if Intel decided 15 years ago that licensing cores would be the way to the future right about the time they dumped xscale. We'd have qualcom/samsung cranking out low power chips like Atom, for mobile devices and ARM might have been delegated to the embedded market, and eventually forced out by low power x86.
 
Wow, Intel fanboys are super sensitive here, I wonder why? :cry::eek::rolleyes: Dude said that he has had far more stable systems with AMD than Intel, not that Intel is completely unstable. (Amazing what Intel Fanboys will read into something when they are trying to defend their favorite company.) On the other hand, I am pleased to see AMD getting serious about things again, it has been a while since they had done that. No, Intel has not done things to move the industry forward, they have created things to make themselves money, just like any other company. Makes me wish I had stuck with AMD over going for that 6700k just to keep away from their fanboy shaming practices. (Have I said fanboy enough? :D)

Truly though, I have seen no real day to day difference since I game at 4k. (Not no difference, just not $800 difference but, the video card upgrade I did was a big difference.) :nailbiting: Some folks just get all bent out of shape when others consider AMD as objectively good but hey, maybe they just do not like that?

It's funny how little self awareness you have. Everyone who calls that nonsensical claim for what it is just be a fanboy. Makes total sense. Couldn't possibly be your bias clouding your judgement.

With hundreds of processors in various markets between both companies anyone trying to even imply one company has more stable products than the other when neither are even remotely known first instability is incredibly stupid. Try and defend that idiocy however you like but you're just showing who you really are...
 
It's funny how little self awareness you have. Everyone who calls that nonsensical claim for what it is just be a fanboy. Makes total sense. Couldn't possibly be your bias clouding your judgement.

With hundreds of processors in various markets between both companies anyone trying to even imply one company has more stable products than the other when neither are even remotely known first instability is incredibly stupid. Try and defend that idiocy however you like but you're just showing who you really are...

Oh, I am entirely self aware and am also able to read the post the poster wrote without bias. How about you? He clearly said he has had far more stable systems with AMD than he ever had with Intel, are you calling him a liar? Do you have proof that he lied? Or are you just being sensitive as I mentioned earlier?

Ah well, believe what you want, does not matter to me one way or the other. :)
 
There will always be Ferraris and VW's, and there will be a market for both, just like there are market sectors for the not-fastest processors. I don't know a single person (the ones that don't play games) who needs an up to date k series processor. They can do everything they need to with a much cheaper AMD.
 
some folks comments are just lol and typical as hell.....I just came here to say LOL FXing serious, nice one AMD :respect: :D
I have had far more stable systems using AMD, then I ever had using Intel, I myself am same as someone in here stated with a twist, I support AMD cause they do the best they can with what they have(like me) are doing as much as they can for everyone they are able to(like me) so therefore I will support them, cause they realized that properietary crap hurts the industry does not help it.

Cut to the chase, he said



As am I, have to make the dollars count as much as possible, and at time I bought and am still using my Phenom II TRUE quad(unlike them BS FX4 :D) the Intel comparative part was going to cost me minimum of ~$400 extra cash I did not have AND I was hoping BD would have been much better then it turned out to be(thanks for bad marketing crud in my books)

Anywho, They are not omg nasty performance, have never been, is Intel faster, most cases yes, are they less power, yes(I tweak mine run lower volts anyways while still clocked up higher) are they better value for $ spent(Intel) not always, I use what I personally can afford and believe in, AMD is that company, not Intel and their amazingly corrupt ways of business and certainly not Nvidia who can rot for all I care(burned multiple times with their products over the years) AMD, so for sure I hope Zen/Polairs/AM4 is AMD getting FXing serious :D

I can fully understand what you are saying. I have had AMD CPU's for at least 16 years and not once did I have to rma on that I can recall. Then I bought a 6700k last September and low and behold, I had to rma it and get it replaced! (Bad memory controller onboard.) Now, it would probably be all that big a deal except I had to pay $25 FOR THE PRIVILEGE! Now, I do not care if others have had issues or not but, for what these processors cost, I think $25 is excessive. (Oh well, at least the new one works.)
 
Really looking forward to this launch. Man I am so hoping AMD can pull this off and be competitive again. It's been since like 2009 or 2010 that AMD was a viable alternative to Intel.
 
Yes they have products that are suitable for consumers. The problem is why would anyone buy an AMD chipset/CPU when there is an intel alternative on every tier of the market, that is more powerful in single threaded performance? Is it suitable for the purpose? Yes, but it's not as good as Intel's solutions. And at that point I become fan of bang for buck and no brad loyalty can change that.

It depends on the market segment. Their AM1 chips are very competitive performance-wise and in terms of value because they support many extensions that Atom doesn't. Usually AMD makes sense in between the areas where Intel charges more for features. Excluding AM1, their other chips don't have as much of a problem with value as they do with performance per watt. That's atrocious. For example you can build a 4 socket Opteron pretty damn cheaply (like crazy cheap). But performance per watt means that you can only pack so much performance in a 2U because of the excessive power.
 
Recently retired an old socket 939 Opteron that lasted a good long while (still works - but Win10 isn't supported on the old CPU lol) - I'd be happy with some more fxing serious from AMD :)
My 939 Opteron is still limping along as an Ubuntu fileserver, but I would love to replace that with my sig rig and build a new Zen system next year.

Pulling for AMD to release something competitive. These days I'm not so [H]ard and every box I build might be my last.
 
Back
Top