AMD Increased GPU Market Share in Q4

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Q4 was a good quarter for AMD as they increased their market share by 8.1%. Jon Peddie Research attributes some of this to the cryptocurrency market and says over 3M add-in boards went to cryptocurrency miners in 2017. Overall this is a nice jump for AMD and should help them out in the short term as long as cryptomining is profitable. Also, Dr. Peddie is on the same page as Nvidia and doesn't believe GPU prices are going to start dropping anytime soon.

AMD’s overall unit shipments increased 8.08% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments decreased -1.98% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased -6.00%.

The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 134% which was down -10.06% from last quarter.

Discrete GPUs were in 36.88% of PCs, which is down -2.67%.

I still don't get how it's profitable. Most places aren't even accepting coins for anything any more and more and more exchanges are bailing?

I still don't get how it's profitable. Most places aren't even accepting coins for anything any more and more and more exchanges are bailing?

The exchanges that are bailing are usually scams. Not a lot of businesses accept it because of the fees.

It would be an easy way to move larger amounts of money around from country to country. One use case would be you live and work in France and you're moving to the US. Empty your bank account into BTC, when you get to the US, open a bank account and dump the BTC into USD rather than mess with wire transfers having multiple accounts, having to close them when you're out of the country and so on. It is a single use case. If you're lucky your money will be worth more in the few days it took you to get settled.

The exchanges that are bailing are usually scams. Not a lot of businesses accept it because of the fees.

It would be an easy way to move larger amounts of money around from country to country. One use case would be you live and work in France and you're moving to the US. Empty your bank account into BTC, when you get to the US, open a bank account and dump the BTC into USD rather than mess with wire transfers having multiple accounts, having to close them when you're out of the country and so on. It is a single use case. If you're lucky your money will be worth more in the few days it took you to get settled.

With bitcoin swings in excess of 10% somedays, I wouldn't want to work in that money market. That's too big a risk when you are talking millions.

Maybe now AMD will be able to afford to ship enough units to meet demand... wishful thinking. I can't help but think that with the amount of people I talk to in a given day about this that consoles are reaping the benefits while PC gaming numbers are getting hurt by all of this.

In a few years we'll look back on all this Cryptocurrency and laugh.
Unfortunately, no. In a few years we'll look back at all this with different currency. Chances are nobody will have physical money anymore, as even Dollars and Euros would have become 100% digital. South Korea already did this. I'm certain that banks around the globe will fall apart as they're not as needed as before. As for crytocurrencies, we'll eventually have two or three cryptos instead of the many that we have now. Eventually there's going to be a few winners out of all this.

One thing to pay attention to is that the demand for crypto money is a symptom of bank fuckery. People are getting sick of dealing with banks. This is not a short lived event in human history where we just decided to make fake money. Money is evolving into something new. In a few years our computer hardware cost problem would have been solved. The real issue is will capitalism survive the transition to 100% digital money and the banking system collapsing? Cause I see a recession occurring within the next 3-5 years.

Unfortunately, no. In a few years we'll look back at all this with different currency. Chances are nobody will have physical money anymore, as even Dollars and Euros would have become 100% digital. South Korea already did this. I'm certain that banks around the globe will fall apart as they're not as needed as before. As for crytocurrencies, we'll eventually have two or three cryptos instead of the many that we have now. Eventually there's going to be a few winners out of all this.

One thing to pay attention to is that the demand for crypto money is a symptom of bank fuckery. People are getting sick of dealing with banks. This is not a short lived event in human history where we just decided to make fake money. Money is evolving into something new. In a few years our computer hardware cost problem would have been solved. The real issue is will capitalism survive the transition to 100% digital money and the banking system collapsing? Cause I see a recession occurring within the next 3-5 years.
I think it's more likely that crypto will become regulated than that banks will become moribund. I agree that all the minor coins will probably die off, and the scam fly-by-night exchanges with them.

Glad AMD is making money though, and unloading the stock of GPUs that might not have found a market in gaming PCs. Hopefully this will fund a more competitive successor to the Raja era cards.

This guy right here amirite.

Thinks Americans are gonna go to a digital dollar.

Harty har har it is to laugh.

Cold dead hands, I think sums that up.

Aaron Russo has an interview on YouTube you should watch.

Good on AMD though

This guy right here amirite.

Thinks Americans are gonna go to a digital dollar.

Harty har har it is to laugh.

Cold dead hands, I think sums that up.

Aaron Russo has an interview on YouTube you should watch.

Good on AMD though

The problem is that America is slowly losing relevance in our modern world. It is by no means irrelevant or even less than a world leader now, but the cultural trends are showing that most of the world cares a bit less about what America does nowadays.

South korea ain't got a thing on Norway.
I have seen one bill the past two years, like an 20 dollar bill, I think we have a 50\100 one too, and the 10\5 I think.
I don't know and don't care.

Employers cannot pay by check or cash, you cannot take out large sums in cash, you cannot buy stuff with large sums of cash.
Card or mobile for everything, can send money to others with phone numbers.
In shops just tap the terminal, yeah...

But then the question is, since money is just numbers on a computer how is cryptocurrency any less of a currency?

We see countries drop 40% of value in currency over 6 months cause government drops the currency to increase competetiveness of it's workforce, or strengthen it at their will.
Large banks can do the same but my country is at a particularly good state to controlling economy as it owns apparently 1.5% of all stocks.

when it comes to finance I really really do believe in an global uncontrolled currency where you can print more or destroy money to increase it's value to either mess up economy of people or make em go into a loaning spree at their fingertips.
I've seen how banks work technically and people trust it above cryptocurrency.. yeh.. money transfer over cifs share in a textfile.. yaaay security!

Silence from the blackpill douche brigade who said this was impossible.

I don't think crypto is the future of finance. Certainly not this iteration.

It's whole makeup and the way it runs from a user perspective is way too amateurish.

This version is the glass beads and shells of digital currency.

Good for AMD, also shows how worthless the steam survey really is. Now if only the prices would go back to normal.

I'm happy for AMD as I really do want them to continue to gain ground and move ahead but I honestly feel that Q4 is when NV stock really started drying up and jumping to ridiculous prices. If it wasn't for that I doubt those numbers would've look that good but I'm hoping they can finally make a top end tier gpu that surpasses NV in the next gen of things. I'm more than happy for my next build to be with one of the CPU's at this point but not quite as ready to jump to one of their gpus.

I'd hate to be trying to predict production ramp-up for these guys right now...

Must be profitable if people keep coming in and buying my prebuilt rigs with amd 570 cards for the cards alone.

Also I thought part of amds supply issue was console deployment.

yeh because they know for a fact that 3m+ graphics cards went to miners and miners alone, what about every other sector of the market who buys them, maybe individuals all decided to upgrade at once in the 4Q, or maybe the "data" about sales came through in 4Q from massive backorders.

Easy to pick a simple "reason" because that is the word of the year "miners are screwing us all over" what about "pro users" who see these awesome performance gaming cards and convinced their bosses, financial institutions, school CAD workshops etc, nope, it is ONLY miners that bought every single one of those multi million dollars worth of inventory
(I call major BS on that theory. yes there is some massive mining farms (many of which no longer use GPU because FPGA/ASIC are far more cost effective and higher performing..not ALL coins can be mined properly with them, that is a given.

yes it is an "issue" but is also making a mountain out of a molehill IMO..awesome products throughout 2016-2017 with ram shortages, not enough flash memory available etc etc..

one problem easily stacks on another, if MSI as an example only "ordered" x thousands of units and they were selling instantly when there is only X total chips off each wafer, does not automatically mean specific corners of the market are the buyers, unless JPR has access to look at credit card bills and walk into everywhere that bought them, it is a gross assumption at best.

I call this clickbait article from JPR (like barnes, and I cannot tell you how many other usually investor sites spitting all kinds of BS just because some certain mass media do the same damn thing)

they track "sales" but JPR does not have access to ALL the selling information from AMD, Intel, Nvidia etc, very much like the "age of the universe" theorists, they take one iota of information no matter how obtuse and "play the numbers"

Years ago Intel, AMD, Nvidia to name a few of the larger tech companies announced they were STOPPING 3rd party "sales figures" because it was detrimental to their business operations, so either this "number" they are using is bloated, or they are piecing together BS figures from many places and compounding the data.

Not first time miners are blamed for this, I guess we might as well blame "business" for ludicrous things such as Windows 10 being the way that it is because "they screwed the casual user and gamer alike"

South korea ain't got a thing on Norway.
I have seen one bill the past two years, like an 20 dollar bill, I think we have a 50\100 one too, and the 10\5 I think.
I don't know and don't care.

Employers cannot pay by check or cash, you cannot take out large sums in cash, you cannot buy stuff with large sums of cash.
Card or mobile for everything, can send money to others with phone numbers.
In shops just tap the terminal, yeah...

But then the question is, since money is just numbers on a computer how is cryptocurrency any less of a currency?

We see countries drop 40% of value in currency over 6 months cause government drops the currency to increase competetiveness of it's workforce, or strengthen it at their will.
Large banks can do the same but my country is at a particularly good state to controlling economy as it owns apparently 1.5% of all stocks.

when it comes to finance I really really do believe in an global uncontrolled currency where you can print more or destroy money to increase it's value to either mess up economy of people or make em go into a loaning spree at their fingertips.
I've seen how banks work technically and people trust it above cryptocurrency.. yeh.. money transfer over cifs share in a textfile.. yaaay security!

Another nail in the coffin of privacy

I've had two customers that have recently purchased pre-bought systems with 1060/570 type cards in them that have arrived without the GPUs.

When challenged the manufacturer has said cagey "Oh yes...it was supposed to be in that system...I don't know how it got forgotten...We'll send you one in the post!"

Essentially if a system has built in graphics they are chancing their arm sending out boxes with out the separate GPU in case the customer either doesn't notice or didn't need it in the first place so they can make more money back.

The difference is that crypto is just numbers distributed over millions of computers, not just a few owned by banks.

Unlike some fiat currencies, no one can control the value of crypto (yes I get at these early stages it can be manipulated), the market does.

The problem is that America is slowly losing relevance in our modern world. It is by no means irrelevant or even less than a world leader now, but the cultural trends are showing that most of the world cares a bit less about what America does nowadays.
Good.

Back