AMD has a winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya they will be more expensive but how much so really depends on if AMD does any good.

It's the replacement for 1366 so I would imagine the mobos will be about $300 and cheapest cpu around $300 just about how 1366 was at launch. I'm sure they will raise or lower prices depending on how much of a threat AMD is.

If AMD wins and delivers a solid cpu we all win. AMD users get a strong cpu and intel uses get their cpus cheaper.

Why, 'cuz it will be such a dud that AMD will fold? :) Ok, put away the kill-the-Intel-troll flamethrowers... I repeat once again that I'd be happy to buy the first FX8150 I can lay my hands on if the benchys are good enough!

just to clarify that all the fastest folding rigs are AMD based

just to clarify that all the fastest folding rigs are AMD based

I would love to go back to folding. My main computer alone put my electric bill over and additional $300/month. And that was in winter! I had to stop before summer...

I though that the SR2 was the best consumer non server board for folding? Thats Intel if I am not too many into the weekend... Although I dont disagree, AMD server chips are sometimes crazy...

Future home of my FX-8150. It's an A05FNB that I modded and had powder coated. Working on it has made the waiting easy. I still have more to do, like putting in the side window. But all my parts are now installed. It's been a fun project.

hf01z.jpg

hf02qmk.jpg

Nice. Orange theme because of "bulldozer"?

I'm putting mine in this box. My Silverstone Raven RV03 case custom modded to fit MainGear's 180mm closed water cooler radiator.

5978233316_ee4a00e74a_b.jpg

I thought they trashed MSI board as hard as they did the gigabyte one ?

The MSI board got some negative comments with a statement that they suspected it was due to the beta BIOS.

The Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 board got a little harsher treatment:

Dan_D said:
They say everyone makes mistakes. When I think of the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 I realize that truer words were never spoken. From start to finish my time with the 990FXA-UD7 was miserable. I just wanted the experience to end but with all the problems, working with the board took far longer than it should have. It is without a doubt one of the worst motherboards I’ve ever worked with. I had more problems with this board during my review than any other before it and I’ve been doing this for some time now. I’ve certainly not seen any boards this bad in the last two years. Ordinarily I’d say that Gigabyte has some work to do and that the problems with the 990FXA-UD7 can be worked out but that would be a serious understatement. I’d recommend sending it back to the drawing board. It’s just that bad.

Zarathustra[H];1037765167 said:
The MSI board got some negative comments with a statement that they suspected it was due to the beta BIOS.

The Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 board got a little harsher treatment:

Wow, i need to read that review.:eek:

I'm currently running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, and while it's not the UD7, ive had no problems with it.

I have a UD7 and while i would not say it is my fav board ever, it has been very solid for me. Just waiting for BD now....

An X6 is faster at folding than a 2600K? I'm not asking to be facetious, I'm actually really surprised!
I think they are talking about 4 socket magny cours systems.

its not paint, its powder coat.

similar but different. Electric orange nice, to bold for me though. I'd settle for Fire engine red or Ocean blue.

It was supposed to be more of a rust color. That's how it looked on paper anyway. I'm not disappointed though. It turned out well.

I strongly believe that the benchmarks we have been seeing are with a gimped CPU, possible only using 1-2 cores or some other method of hiding the true performance of Bulldozer

That doesn't make sense. Why would they have gimped benchmarks being leaked.

But isn't the 2011 chips going to be substantially more expensive, particularly if the $260-280 price tag for 8150 holds true? I don't expect BD to be their competition, the upcoming BD Enhanced will be.

My friend recently paid 1400 euro for his graphics packet and windows 7 and was happy that he found good deal do you think he will care that SB-E costs 500 euro instead of 200 for BD when he can finish work on it for example 10-20% faster ?

I think they are talking about 4 socket magny cours systems.

Yeah there's some weird bonus points stuff going with folding where you get more points the faster you return results which makes packing something like 2 12 core cpus into rig very good choice.

In Boinc which typically has 1 task for 1 thread running (with some exceptions) AMD is much worse choice than Intel and overclocked i3 530 can give around 60-75% of points i get with overclocked X6 1055T (at something like half of the power consumption)

The 4 socket aspect for folding makes sense but that's like comparing IBM Watson to my watch. If we're talking single consumer level CPU, AMD is hopelessly outclassed as of right now. Period. However, the BD NDA was supposed to drop tomorrow... any news on whether or not that's still the active date?

Somewhere in one of these threads i think Kyle said that the 19th isnt, or something to that effect

The 4 socket aspect for folding makes sense but that's like comparing IBM Watson to my watch. If we're talking single consumer level CPU, AMD is hopelessly outclassed as of right now. Period. However, the BD NDA was supposed to drop tomorrow... any news on whether or not that's still the active date?

My friend recently paid 1400 euro for his graphics packet and windows 7 and was happy that he found good deal do you think he will care that SB-E costs 500 euro instead of 200 for BD when he can finish work on it for example 10-20% faster ?

it depends

Just keeping up with the mass of contradictory information on BD pseudobenchys is giving me a migraine. I don't think I believe anyone any longer about anything to do with BD until I see release silicon. This is crossing over into the Twilight Zone. And another 4-5 weeks? That puts it darn near into November. FX better eat SB-E for breakfast or in the immortal words of Han Solo: "It's gonna be a real short trip."

FX better eat SB-E for breakfast or in the immortal words of Han Solo: "It's gonna be a real short trip."

Bulldozer isn't supposed to fight with the the LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge chips as far as i can tell.

I think they'll be around LGA 1155 SB chips if not a little better possibility, but i think overall performance with still go to SB-E as it's looking like a monstrous platform with more memory bandwidth and what not. Intel will still be the multi-tasking king with SB-E more likely but it will also be a lot more expensive.

Bulldozer isn't supposed to fight with the the LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge chips as far as i can tell.

I think they'll be around LGA 1155 SB chips if not a little better possibility, but i think overall performance with still go to SB-E as it's looking like a monstrous platform with more memory bandwidth and what not. Intel will still be the multi-tasking king with SB-E more likely but it will also be a lot more expensive.

yeah, the "best" BD chip is 1/2 the price of the "worst" SB-E chip, i thought.

Just keeping up with the mass of contradictory information on BD pseudobenchys is giving me a migraine.

Hey man...

I heard from this guy

DerkysCam110.jpg

that bulldozer... man, its gonna look like this

porthuneneme022.jpg

the worst sb-e chip is a 4 core with ht and runs $294, where as the 8150 bulldozer is $266. it depends if you would rather have a real 8 core or a 4 core that does the same amount of work as an 8 core.

lol @ Redshirt #24 and exdriver. :) mrbigshot is right that FX8150 at that price is going to be considered to be a market competitor with both the i7-2600K (and 2700K) as well as with the i7-3820. So the benchys better be waaaaaaaaay up there or the sound you hear is AMD's hopes of ever claiming the high end again sinking deep beneath the waves...

the worst sb-e chip is a 4 core with ht and runs $294, where as the 8150 bulldozer is $266. it depends if you would rather have a real 8 core or a 4 core that does the same amount of work as an 8 core.

I have 6 real native core that makes less than 4 core - what now ?

Zarathustra[H];1037765147 said:
Nice. Orange theme because of "bulldozer"?

Nah, just chose a color and went with it. This is the color I chose. It's a little deeper than the finished product.

92px-RAL_2001_Rotorange.svg.png

Nice rig, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back