AMD Continues to Push Premium VR Rhetoric

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by FrgMstr, Oct 20, 2016.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

The following statements were made by Dr. Lisa Su, CEO of AMD, during today's earning call concerning Polaris GPUs and VR.

I think she is spot on with her comments about Polaris GPUs in DirectX 12 and Vulcan titles. Our reviews have shown how strong Polaris can be in these two very narrow categories when it comes to performance. Even the RX 470 and RX 460 offer solid performance for their respective product classes as well. All three of the GPU reviews linked above have earned HardOCP Editor's Choice Awards for desktop PC gaming.

I am however still extremely confused about Su's statements about "leadership performance in VR," and "making premium experiences available" when referring to the RX 470 usage in a VR system. In no way does the Polaris GPU have any sort of "leadership performance" in terms of an actual VR gaming experience. And in now way is an RX 470 GPU going to deliver a premium VR experience. AMD's penetration into VR is in shambles at worst, and seemingly ignored by developers at best when it comes to optimizing for these Polaris GPUs. Over the past few months after reviewing GPU performance in multiple VR gaming titles, only once has a developer even mentioned AMD's LiquidVR technology approach and that was from Croteam/Revolver devs handling Serious Sam VR. A review of SSVR performance will be published by us tomorrow. I will say however that AMD's Polaris once again fails to show up in any kind of leadership or "premium" performance role.

AMD is far and away from touching on reality about its Polaris GPU performance in VR, and this delusion seems to have worked its way to the very top of AMD's hierarchy.

Leaderboard BIG.png

Factum, Shintai, razor1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

what the hell are they smoking over there?!

Shintai likes this.
  3. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Gonna make investor drink their kool-aid by saying things like that?

Shintai and EuphoricRage470 like this.
  4. Term-X

Term-X 2[H]4U

It's sad how far AMD/ATI has fallen. At this point, I think Matrox is probably more relevant than AMD.

5. pendragon1

very sad!
    half of matrox's cards are amd based though...

6. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Please review a 470 and 460 card for VR performance!

7. InquisitorDavid

InquisitorDavid [H]Lite

Perhaps they speak of their 'wins' with Oculus ASW, if you can call being 100% in reprojection a 'win'.

I mean, even if ASW is really good, there is simply no substitute for meeting the 90fps/11ms target most of the time.

8. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

It's just a typical earnings call. AMD finally has something new and shiny to show off so they're spinning it. And it's a CEO's job to do so. A CEO could literally be on the deck of the Titanic and proclaim 'We have an abundance of rushing cool water for the weary and thirsty traveler".

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Gawd

what exactly do you want them to say?

Bowman15 likes this.
  10. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Are we going to see mGPU in SSVR, which is one major benefit of Liquid VR is supposed to allow for?

11. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

I still don't understand what they were thinking with the name LiquidVR. All I think about is vomiting with a VR headset on.

Anywho... AMD is having trouble getting a single card to work. I would completely discount the possibility of mGPU.

12. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Were you expecting truth in advertising, Kyle?

Can you just picture it?

"Our shit is shitty shit, buy someone else's stuff if you want the best!"

SighTurtle likes this.
  13. pendragon1

just watched a ltt yt vid, maybe they are comparing to the the Samsung gear...

14. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

AMD is pretty much has-been to me at this point.

15. FrgMstr

Did not realize that SEC required earnings calls were advertising.

16. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Good ol' Roy wrote her speech would be my only guess.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. FrgMstr

Mmmmm, no. I have only played through the first two worlds, but it is a fairly flat experience. Nothing like Raw Data.

MavericK likes this.
  18. Jadawin

Jadawin Limp Gawd

Still bitter, Kyle? ^^

Bowman15 likes this.
  19. FrgMstr

Bitter about what?????

20. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

They have a card in the top ten. Looks like leadership performance to me.

/s

CaptNumbNutz, MavericK and FrgMstr like this.
  21. FrgMstr

OK. Still does ZERO to change my stance. No others are doing the work to properly evaluate current GPU's performance, and I that is one reason that AMD keeps with its rhetoric. I am not going to shut up just because some of you think it is advertising and apparently think it is OK to lie to consumers.

Factum, jbc029, MavericK and 6 others like this.
  22. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

Look their numbers beat the street, what AMD has done was actually advertised why they beat the street, and Telling ya right now Polaris and VR is NOT why their numbers beat the street. AMD's dealings, they got extra cash flow coming in by other means then selling product this is what caused the increase in profits. This is not about product sales, and yet, they have done this time and time again, every quarter of the past 3 or 4 quarters lol, there is only one way this will end up when shit hits the fan so to speak.

If they are trying drive stock price up, they want a buyout, and if and when that buyout happens, and they still don't have products to drive their companies worth, yikes, look for what happened to AMD's buyout of ATi to happen again. Of course the buyout company if they are smart will totally change directions with AMD IP's so might be better than that......

Keep this in mind Lisa Su is an excellent strategist, the position AMD is in right now, is make it or break it, Zen has to be great for them, Polaris, is a yeah we got something but we are still getting our ass punted. Well they can't talk about Zen right now, cause they showed the best they had just last quarter, so they need to fuel the pipeline with their other major market space.

PS we already know where this cash flow came from, they talked about it last quarter, if I'm not mistaken (consoles) its still a 400 million dollar loss to boot which is quite large.

This is exactly why the stock price dipped, my shorts of AMD is getting pretty close, actually might hit before the Q numbers come in..... I'm about 10 cents away.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  23. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

A company maintaining/building selling options open is prudent. Also options on not selling if more beneficial to the company is also an option. If AMD can do better selling off RTG then it is in order for them to do so - also it can be much more prudent to keep RTG as well for the HTC market and servers AMD is hoping to get back into - big money thhere. Also consoles are paying off, maybe not enough to make the whole company profitable but does push them in that direction. Getting rid of that can also break them. In other words keep as many viable options open as possible and go with the best one. RTG I think is most likely more valuable staying with AMD then not. Does not mean talks are not happening between like Intel and others (those in my opinion will most likely not pan out since AMD I think would push to sell RTG at a price point close to their purchase price if not more, but then a China company may step up to the plate).

24. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

I'm hearing that AMD's VR performance is the best, tremendous.

25. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

That's what happens when the RTG runs on R&D fumes for 4 years in a row. While the powerpoint slide crew gets more money.

26. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

AMD's rhetoric is obviously pretty far removed from reality. Now, if only nVidia supported Freesync...

noko and Poseur like this.
  27. TAP

TAP Limp Gawd

It doesn't matter what Su is saying. The analysts that follow this company read the same reviews we do. Lisa can talk all she wants, it's not going to suddenly make one of the big boy analysts suddenly upgrade their rating to outperform.

28. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

I think we know the answer to that one.

29. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

So now you are a mind reader?

30. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

And we definitely recognise AMD apologists when we see them.

MavericK and Algrim like this.
  31. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

I love AMD but it takes conflict and constructive feedback to keep being innovative. AMD needs people like Kyle and Steve or you end up being a leader at a company that only knows that their butt is shiny from everyone kissing it all day. AMD needed a wake up call and I'm hoping 2017 is it!

32. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

Exactly what am I apologizing for?

33. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

34. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Kyle might be bitter, as I'm sure many people would likely be given the same experience.

That being said, he is calling marketing BS on legitimate BS. [H] Has run fair testing on all cards, and the data is in.

I will never understand fanboys, nor people that feel the need to say 'still bitter?' when facts back up the position. It is only a valid comment if [H] was decrying AMD's cards in spite of them delivering, but they don't deliver so the criticism is valid and fair.

oROEchimaru and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  35. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz [H]ard as it Gets

The only people that are still bitter are the pathetic blind fanboys that think Kyle and [H]ardOCP crew are anti-AMD biased. Kyle and the crew have always been Pro-consumer and Anti-Bullshit biased. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know [H]'s storied history with just about every tech company that has been reviewed on this site. Kyle has on many occasions called out Intel and Nvidia on their bullshit too.

Shotglass01, pendragon1 and Factum like this.
  36. aokman

aokman Gawd

The only thing relevant about ATI anymore is how dillusional they are...oh and how freakin slow they are.