AMD Catalyst™ 14.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
AMD Catalyst™ 14.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows

Hello everyone,

Click here to visit our Graphics Drivers and Software page and click on “Latest Windows Beta Driver” to download the driver.

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

· How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
· How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

AMD Catalyst™ 14.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows® - Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Assassin’s Creed® Unity Performance Driver!

This release enables peak driver performance optimization for AMD Radeon™ graphics

Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 14.11.1 Windows® Beta Driver

Performance Improvements
• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare performance optimizations
• Assassin’s Creed Unity performance optimizations

Known Issues

•Occasional stuttering in Assassin’s Creed® Unity in CrossFire mode under specific game settings
•Small chance of intermittent screen tearing or corruption in Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare on high settings 4K resolution in AMD CrossFire™ mode
•Quad CrossFire AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 may sometimes black screen when loading a game in Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare
•AMD Radeon™ R9 280X/280 may experience a crash when playing Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and a video at the same time. If you experience this issue a work around is turning off the video while playing the game.
•CrossFire users may experience intermittent flickering in Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare menus. As a work around if this issue is seen restarting the game may cause the issue to disappear.

Important Notes

AMD is currently working with Activision to resolve the following issues in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
• Users in AMD CrossFire™ mode sometimes experience texture corruption
• Negative scaling sometimes being observed at specific resolutions with AMD CrossFire™

AMD Issue Reporting Form
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form.

I totally stole your thunder on this one.. lol.

I just installed these and I'll report back in a bit after I do a few rounds of COD.

Sam, is there an actual COD:AW CrossFire profile included with this driver? I don't seem to be able to get CrossFire working unless I tick the box in CCC that says "Enable CF for games that have no associated profile". Performance seems the same, so I don't think it's truly working.

From the release notes I assume that it's somewhat buggy at the moment so just curious if the profile is available in the driver.

Edit: Okay, I did a full uninstall and reinstall with DDU and now it seems that CrossFire is working. Performance is okay, I am able to turn on SSAA now and it runs well. Still runs like complete ass unless I turn on Precache Shaders, but I think that's a problem with the game engine.

I am, however, noticing that my 2nd GPU is not entering ULPS anymore. Is this a known problem?

Last edited:
I wonder if these fix the mantle memory leak that makes BF4 unplayable.

Haha, kidding - I don't wonder that, I'm sure they don't.

I will.. pass on these since I won't be playing either game.

Not surprised at assassin's creed having issues with nvidia in the mix, but I am surprised with Activision.

The Mantle memory leak was DICE's fault and that was patched a little while ago. So... not sure where you are going with that one.

New driver, same story. No fixes for games that have been out for ages.
Rather than posting something with zero information you should probably include details on what problems you're having, and if you haven't, report them to AMD via the driver report link in the OP. What games are you having problems with?

The Mantle memory leak was DICE's fault and that was patched a little while ago. So... not sure where you are going with that one.

First of all, no, it was certainly not patched. It is still widespread - check the battlelog forums.

Second, sure - DICE blames AMD, AMD blames DICE. All I know is that it is broken, not being fixed, and only affects mantle.

Sine there is no memory leak in Theif, PVZ (uses frostbite), Sniper Elite, or Civ what does that tell you about whos responsible?

Sine there is no memory leak in Theif, PVZ (uses frostbite), Sniper Elite, or Civ what does that tell you about whos responsible?

It tells me that I don't care, I just want it fixed. And it is not getting fixed.

Note that I can just as easily flip this around - since there is no memory leak in BF4 using nvidia cards, what does that tell you about who is responsible?

Look, I'm not defending DICE. But I'm certainly not defending AMD either.

Have you tried renaming the weaponchunks.sb file under the data folder in BF4. A lot of people are simply renaming this folder and the game runs like butter. It does take some of the sounds in the game away but worth it to make it run so smooth...

Have you tried renaming the weaponchunks.sb file under the data folder in BF4. A lot of people are simply renaming this folder and the game runs like butter. It does take some of the sounds in the game away but worth it to make it run so smooth...

Yep - it works. But it removes some sounds from the game that are pretty key, so it is a highly ineffective "fix."

Rather than posting something with zero information you should probably include details on what problems you're having, and if you haven't, report them to AMD via the driver report link in the OP. What games are you having problems with?

Can't be bothered anymore, I've done it every driver release for the past 10 releases or so.

Well, apparently a rushed / hacked driver job. It broke my Tri-Fire setup .... not that Tri-Fire is actually worth a damn. I get better frames when I disable the whole mess.

Don't EVER ... EVER .... invest in a tri-fire / quad fire mother board or a 3rd / 4th video card.

I'm actually in a jam video card wise as to what to update to. Clearly the hotness right now is Nvidia, a pair of 970's would rock for what I do. BUT ... AMD is coming out with 20nm .... and with all the driver / performance issues I've decided once and for all to go to Nvidia but .... 20nm ..... damn, what to do what to do.

I'm selling my current rig ( sig ) for a very cheap price so I can upgrade to 8 core / Nvidia

It tells me that I don't care, I just want it fixed. And it is not getting fixed.

Note that I can just as easily flip this around - since there is no memory leak in BF4 using nvidia cards, what does that tell you about who is responsible?

Because NVIDIA is using an entirely different rendering API :confused: DICE themselves have stated that it's a bug in the game, I'm not sure how you can pin that on AMD.

Played a few rounds of COD:AW tonight with the new driver. After I did a full uninstall and reinstall it works great. Make sure you have precache shaders on because the game runs like crap without that option enabled, but I am playing at 2560x1440, maxed out everything with 2X SSAA and I am getting >100fps.

Because NVIDIA is using an entirely different rendering API :confused: DICE themselves have stated that it's a bug in the game, I'm not sure how you can pin that on AMD.

Correct - and mantle is a rendering API developed by AMD, which is not working correctly in this game.

And where did DICE admit it was a bug in their game? Because last I saw, both sides were blaming each other.

Correct - and mantle is a rendering API developed by AMD, which is not working correctly in this game.

And where did DICE admit it was a bug in their game? Because last I saw, both sides were blaming each other.
It was introduced on July 8 IIRC when a Battlefield patch was released. Prior to this the game ran fine. There were no other driver level changes. So how is it an AMD problem?

It was introduced on July 8 IIRC when a Battlefield patch was released. Prior to this the game ran fine. There were no other driver level changes. So how is it an AMD problem?

Ok, so no DICE admitting anything?

Look, I don't know what you're arguing for here - if you've got AMD cards and no issues, great!

Look, I don't know what you're arguing for here - if you've got AMD cards and no issues, great!

So, renaming a folder/file/whatever solves the problem and you still think it's AMDs fault?

But when you flip it around to Nvidia, you're changing more than one variable. In addition to changing the video card, you're also changing the API being used. BF4 + AMD + Mantle = memory leak, that sucks. Your "flip" is BF4 + Nvidia + Direct3D = no leak. The thing is, BF4 + AMD + Direct3D = no leak as well. The problem is with "Mantle", not "AMD", more specifically the Mantle code in the game. And the bad Mantle code doesn't make BF4 unplayable. At most it makes it unplayable under Mantle. The Mantle update to BF4 is regarded as something of a cluster-f by many people. Maybe it's just because they were first, maybe it's because they rushed it, maybe it's because they just didn't do a very good job, I dunno. But no one's saying you can't play BF4 on your AMD card under Direct3D just like you did before the Mantle patch, are they? Are there credible reports of the Direct3D path in BF4 getting screwed up for AMD cards as well? I haven't seen any. If you have, by all means please provide links. I know this site did quite a bit of BF4 testing when Mantle was rolled out, and I'm fairly certain that testing included Direct3D on AMD as a baseline.

Goodness knows AMD has done plenty of things they deserve to be criticized for over the years. But that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is their fault.

I'm not going to go dig through patch notes, but there are a number of patch notes releases by DICE that state they are addressing memory leaks in the Mantle renderer. That combined with the fact that the issue arose from a Battlefield 4 patch, it doesn't take a lot of mental effort to figure out where the problem lies here.

Anyways, to move this back on topic - I' not having any issues other than my 2nd GPU won't enter the power-off state when not in use. Performance in COD is much better, installation was fine, no other problems. I'd give these a shot if you have an AMD card.

So, renaming a folder/file/whatever solves the problem and you still think it's AMDs fault?

It's clearly a combination of DICE/AMD. But nvidia + that same file = no memory leak.

I give up though - you guys are right, there is no issue, AMD is super awesome, etc.

It's clearly a combination of DICE/AMD. But nvidia + that same file = no memory leak.

I give up though - you guys are right, there is no issue, AMD is super awesome, etc.
You're missing the point. NVIDIA + same file + a different rendering engine doesn't have the same problem. But the key is the rendering engine.

There are several other games in the wild including other Frostbite 3 based games that are using Mantle without issues. Mantle is an API, it is up to the developer to implement it correctly. A memory leak in DICE's application is not automatically AMD's fault. Based on the available evidence - that other games don't experience the same problem, that the leak was introduced by a BF4 patch, and that removing a specific file from the game fixes the problem - it seems most likely it's not something that AMD can address in their drivers. That's why it's pointless to shit on the thread about this particular issue.

You're missing the point. NVIDIA + same file + a different rendering engine doesn't have the same problem. But the key is the rendering engine.

There are several other games in the wild including other Frostbite 3 based games that are using Mantle without issues. Mantle is an API, it is up to the developer to implement it correctly. A memory leak in DICE's application is not automatically AMD's fault. Based on the available evidence - that other games don't experience the same problem, that the leak was introduced by a BF4 patch, and that removing a specific file from the game fixes the problem - it seems most likely it's not something that AMD can address in their drivers. That's why it's pointless to shit on the thread about this particular issue.

It is an API *developed by AMD* and heavily promoted specifically for this game. Like I said, DICE has explicitly blamed AMD, and AMD has in turn blamed DICE. They both suck. Sorry that pointing out known issues that are not fixed has given all of you guys a sad.

Well, apparently a rushed / hacked driver job. It broke my Tri-Fire setup .... not that Tri-Fire is actually worth a damn. I get better frames when I disable the whole mess.

Don't EVER ... EVER .... invest in a tri-fire / quad fire mother board or a 3rd / 4th video card.

Yeah I wouldn't tell anyone to get a 3rd or 4th video card either. Even for 4k, 2 cards should be sufficient.

I was running a set of Titans on a 4K monitor before I went TrifireX, and they were not cutting the mustard. I got my current cards (specsin the sig line below)...no issues...except for BF4. All my other games are perfect.

Played a few hours of Far Cry 4 and finished up CoD:AW last night with these drivers. No issues and my 290x actually was running around 5-10degrees cooler than usual...

My uninstall/install procedure currently:
- Express uninstall all AMD software.
- Reboot
- Delete C:\AMD folder.
- Run DDU(let it boot into safemode) and select to uninstall and reboot.
- Run CCleaner on the registry and reboot.
- Install new AMD GPU drivers + CCC(for whatever reason I always have to adjust the display scaling after a clean driver install with CCC... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't install it).
- Reboot again.
- Done

I've done the last two driver sets like this and haven't experience any crashing issues...

Back