AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
We have an exclusive early look at AMD’s new ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 to be launched later this summer. We will take a look at the 4870 X2 in a CrossFireX configuration as well, and evaluate gameplay in Crysis and Age of Conan with several apples-to-apples tests. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised to see 8X AA playable at 2560x1600 and 24X CFAA playable at 1920x1200.

This preview has shown a very positive light on AMD’s ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. Usually previews can go two ways, either it is going to perform really badly, or it is going to outperform our expectations. This was the latter; the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 outperformed our initial expectations. Even in this preview state the hardware and drivers have a very solid feel to them. The CrossFireX experience was easy to setup and worked without any fuss.

Please DIGG to share!

lol page 9, power testing, shows txt as the content :p

regardless, this card is a BEAST.

hot diggity damn! looks like this card will be the final piece of the puzzle for my new rig which lacking a graphics card!

wow this is exciting, the X2 actually runs better than CF configuration.

Simply awesome. The CF scaling is excellent in AoC and not to bad in Crysis. Guess I'll have to get one or two to be cool!:cool:

I'd love to see an AoC 3x SLI benchmark. Not my kind of game just intrested.

LOL, so ATI went to having crap AA drops to god like AA.

Can't wait for the full review on the architectures.

We have an exclusive early look at AMD’s new ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 to be launched later this summer. We will take a look at the 4870 X2 in a CrossFireX configuration as well, and evaluate gameplay in Crysis and Age of Conan with several apples-to-apples tests. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised to see 8X AA playable at 2560x1600 and 24X CFAA playable at 1920x1200.

Please DIGG to share!

In the full review could [H] give a considered analysis of this whole microstuttering issue and whether it has been remedied by the 4870X2?

Statements like this "Even in this preview state the hardware and drivers have a very solid feel to them." that come from people like you, go along way in my book. Great preview regaurdless of the out come.

Im so glad ATI is making a comeback. The competition is only going to make things even better for us, the consumer. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Now I just need to start upgrading my rig hahaha.

Wow that is amazing, and with newer drivers they will be a beast!

Yeah I would also be interested in an analysis of microstuttering.

Dope.

Yeah, page 9 is pretty funny. I'm very curious about power draw and the thermal dynamics on these cards

Waiting on my registration to DIGG it. Lol, I didn't even know you had to be registered to DIGG something, but I guess it makes sense. Probably the only way to stave off the bots.

~S

Free 8X AA in Age of Conan at 2560x1600 with Radeon HD 4870 X2 CrossFireX. You heard it right here.

Wow is all I can say......

Lets hope micro-stuttering is fixed :) looks like it by the graphs

The free 8xAA on 2560x1600 implies that the CfireX 4870x2 is CPU bound:eek::eek:

Looks like i will buy this monster now , and wait for Nehalem to fully enjoy my 30":p

I think I ran out of pants to change into...
Free AA is just godly, especially upwards of 4x and 8x AA (not to mention the inclusion of Custom Filters and Adaptive AA?)
:D

i wont state the obvious about that early 280 adopters...nuff said on that lesson learned

but wow this thing chews up AOC for lunch and laughs..... must have

holyshit!!!!!!

i mainly play aoc, this is going to be a HUGE upgrade for me from my 8800GT. I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Early report that AMD has killed the Microstuttering.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3132311#post3132311

Note that Sampsa is talking about Milliseconds, not FPS.

Sampsa @xtremesystems said:
Good news! I can confirm that based on my own tests microstuttering is gone on R700!

I've tested with R700 (ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2) and R680 (ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2) in Crysis (1600x1200 and High settings). I used Fraps and enabled Frametimes logging. I recorded 2 seconds from exactly the same point in game (loaded from save game). Based on my recorded data, with ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 frames are rendered after ~21,5 and every other frame after ~49,5 ms. With ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 all framres are rendered after ~ 21,9 ms.
annihilat0r @xtremesystems said:
21.9ms doesn't mean 21.9FPS. It means 1000/21.9 = 46 FPS.

Every odd frame at 20ms and every even frame at 50ms puts the FRAPS framerate at 1000/35 = 28.5FPS; and puts the actual fluidity around 1000/50 = 20 FPS

Every frame at 20ms puts both the FRAPS framerate and the "real" framerate at 1000/20 = 50FPS. Believe it or not, the fluidity of 4870x2 in that certain scene is 2.5 times better than 3870x2

~~~~~~~~~
On a side note:
I know most of the 4870 X2's out there are engineering samples (like [H]'s), but is there any chance that production versions have their power connectors at 90 degrees? The [H] setup looks like it is about to break the PCIe slots trying to fit the power cords in there.

well, we talk about real gameplay, not bs like some of the others.

Very nice review. I'm really excited about this. Thanks for the great review guys! :cool:

i wont state the obvious about that early 280 adopters...nuff said on that lesson learned

but wow this thing chews up AOC for lunch and laughs..... must have

And once again I won't state that I already knew everything you knew and still got three 280's which happen to work in my SLI motherboard. I'll just get a couple of 4870x2 to have the best of both!:D

As fast us these things are, you better have a cool room cause if they idle at the temps that DriverHeaven had in their review the card may not break a sweat and but you will.:p

Guys did you have the flashing question marks in your inventory with the HD 4870 X2 in AoC? I had it with regular Crossfire.

And once again I won't state that I already knew everything you knew and still got three 280's which happen to work in my SLI motherboard. I'll just get a couple of 4870x2 to have the best of both!:D

dude obviously u have the free cash to buy with reckless abandon... so my price performance rants do not apply 2 u at all....

i know people with so much money they spend 6k on month on linens...

most people are not in that position and have to b more savvy about they purchases to maximize their dollar.

I must be blind because I don't see that anywhere in those test. The GTX 280 is close or above in all categories, then when you put 2 Nvidia GPU's against 4 ATI, Nvidia still wins.

:eek:

Yea, I guess I'm not seeing the 4870 X2 "crush" anything. It's very close in many benchmarks. They really need to improve their quad crossfire performance though.

Simply awesome. The CF scaling is excellent in AoC and not to bad in Crysis. Guess I'll have to get one or two to be cool!:cool:

I'd love to see an AoC 3x SLI benchmark. Not my kind of game just intrested.

And the crazy thing is, the Crysis perf isn't that bad, yet AMD told us they aren't yet seeing the scaling they want in Crysis with CrossFireX. So it can get better!?1? Sounds like yes maybe. AoC shows what good scaling can do.

SOOOOOOoooooo i should just get 2x4850's if all im doing is 1680x1050 eh?

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

dude maybe Kyles charts are a little too advanced for u... or maybe u cant read well... i dunno... but i am sure we can help u understand...we are here to help

Well first off, you fail at linking. 2nd it appears the 280 did better in Crysis barely, and the 4870 X2 did quite a bit better in AoC. However, the 280 SLI always beat the 4870 X2 crossfire. Seems close either way. Will have to see more benchmarks across more tests to really make a decision.

Well first off, you fail at linking. 2nd it appears the 280 did better in Crysis barely, and the 4870 X2 did quite a bit better in AoC. However, the 280 SLI always beat the 4870 X2 crossfire. Seems close either way. Will have to see more benchmarks across more tests to really make a decision.

Crysis at VeryHigh AP2AP was slightly faster on 4870 X2.

I would not say the 280 SLI always beat X2 CrossFire, X2 CrossFire is clearly faster in AoC which allows higher playable settings.

Back