amd apu

fightingfi

2[H]4U
need a onboard video apu its for a desktop that will be used for emails, word, spreadsheets light daily work. Are the new amd apu's good and would like 2-3 options to see whats ava\price\performance wise. Tankies in Advance :D Or do you think a aftermarket would be better in this case

It's an awkward time to buy an APU unfortunately... 5000-series Zen3 models aren't released yet and 4000 series Zen2 are only available via grey market and are very expensive. 3000 series Zen1 are generally available but are based on an old architecture and max out at 4 cores. Unless you really need the extra iGPU power, an i3 might make more sense right now for productivity work.

Specifically, the current 10th-Gen i3-10100, paired with a decent B460 motherboard. (Don't get the i3-10100F as that CPU requires a discrete GPU in order to even work at all.)

The 3000-series Ryzen G APUs are actually based on the older Zen+ architecture of the 2000-series Ryzen CPUs. As such, they are officially incompatible with the B550 and A520 chipsets. If you do settle for the 3000-series APU, you will have to buy an older 400 chipset motherboard or an X570 motherboard.

^ what they said. The 10100 seems like a budget champ- four cores, Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost, acceptable cache sizes. It's basically an i7 7700 but for $100-120.

I got two 4650g's from aliexpress around October. Very happy with them, but the prices have gone up, so I probably wouldn't buy them again now; at this point, I'd look towards the zen3 chips; watch for news that a UK/EU store is selling them and jump on it before AMD yells at them to only sell as part of a prebuild assuming AMD is going to have the same sales policy for 5000 series. Keep an eye out for listings on aliexpress too, but between having to call my credit card to get the transaction to authorize and slow shipping, it's not for the faint of heart.

Waiting for a bios update to agesa 1.2.0.0 to try out CTR 2.

I was looking for the AMD's APUs as well, but to me the choice is so limited... However, you would be hard pressed to find any vanilla PCI graphic cards under 60 euros, so if you don't have an old GPU laying around, then you just have to pay. However, for email, word processing and such w/o any gaming, it would seem that 4000 series APUs do the trick!!!

From Alibaba. I imagine postage is cheap to anywhere in the world. newegg is ab. USD 93 more expensive https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-0001-0...50g-_-9SIAM4SCPC7901-_-Product&quicklink=true. In Finland we have 0 % import tariffs for Chinese purchased computer parts. However, the USA has an import tariff war against China, where they increased the import tariff by 25 % on 50 billion USD chinese goods, so I guess Alibaba is out of the question, if you live in the USA.

Attachments

• kuva_2021-02-15_104020.png
    kuva_2021-02-15_104020.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like the graphics in a 4650G are about as fast as an NVidia GT 1030. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1630...pus-desktop-amd-ryzen-4750g-4650g-and-4350g/4

That's one of the few graphics cards that's still easy to find. $80-115, depending on what ports you want and whether you have a Microcenter around.

For typical office stuff I'd just get an Intel proc and use the integrated video, probably an i3-10100. My work machine just uses Intel integrated. It does everything I need. Office stuff + software development. No 3D app development though, all server stuff. Worst case you can always stuff a graphics card in there later if you decide you need it unless you're going for a small form factor. I'd spend the extra $50 or so and get an i5 if you think gaming might be added to the workload, but for most office stuff an i3 will do nicely.

If you really want to cheap out a Pentium Gold will handle basic office stuff, but dropping from 4 cores to 2 to save $20 or so and not getting the stock cooler (Intel includes one with the i3, but not with Pentiums & Celerons if Newegg's descriptions are correct) doesn't seem worth it.

Looks like the graphics in a 4650G are about as fast as an NVidia GT 1030. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1630...pus-desktop-amd-ryzen-4750g-4650g-and-4350g/4

That's one of the few graphics cards that's still easy to find. $80-115, depending on what ports you want and whether you have a Microcenter around.

For typical office stuff I'd just get an Intel proc and use the integrated video, probably an i3-10100. My work machine just uses Intel integrated. It does everything I need. Office stuff + software development. No 3D app development though, all server stuff. Worst case you can always stuff a graphics card in there later if you decide you need it unless you're going for a small form factor. I'd spend the extra $50 or so and get an i5 if you think gaming might be added to the workload, but for most office stuff an i3 will do nicely.

If you really want to cheap out a Pentium Gold will handle basic office stuff, but dropping from 4 cores to 2 to save $20 or so and not getting the stock cooler (Intel includes one with the i3, but not with Pentiums & Celerons if Newegg's descriptions are correct) doesn't seem worth it.
I would refuse to give my money to Intel b/c they are l*zy a*ses. Even the new Rocket Lakes are FOURTEEN NANOMETERS and it is TWO THOUSAND TWENTYONE, hey!!! Take away the l*zy a*ses' monies and the technology will move forward, because Intel cannot move their product anymore. According to Intel Roadmap 2015, we should start seeing 10nm products 2015+, where the "+" sign is somewhere about 6-7 years from 2015.

Attachments

• Intel Roadmap 2015.jpg
    Intel Roadmap 2015.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would refuse to give my money to Intel b/c they are l*zy a*ses. Even the new Rocket Lakes are FOURTEEN NANOMETERS and it is TWO THOUSAND TWENTYONE, hey!!! Take away the l*zy a*ses' monies and the technology will move forward, because Intel cannot move their product anymore. According to Intel Roadmap 2015, we should start seeing 10nm products 2015+, where the "+" sign is somewhere about 6-7 years from 2015.

The problem is that evidently AMD doesn't want your money either as you can't buy a comparable APU with more than 4 cores from anywhere other than a grey market source (at least in the DIY market...evidently Newegg carries virtually the whole line of 4700g HP computers).

For general e-mail and office work, why one earth would you need more than 4 cores? Especially 4 modern cores even if they're Zen+?
For OP, I would not even hesitate recommending a Ryzen 3200G for the proposed workload. Though 3400G has better graphics if you envision light gaming happening.
For my work rig, I had a Ryzen 2600X. I would typically have 2-3 remote sessions open, several excel and word files, several browsers with dozens of tabs, outlook, spotify, notepad, bunch of other small stuff. Never reached 100% utilization of the 6-core Ryzen under those conditions, which are probably several times what the OP intends to run.
I have a Ryzen 3400G in my home server that is multipurpose - NAS, HTPC, dev rig. Runs base Win10 OS (HTPC/light gaming rig hooked up to TV) + HyperV for FreeNAS, centOS, another instance of Win10 for testing purposes. Normally, it's just base HTPC OS + FreeNAS and the 4C/8T 3400G handles it like a champ. Light gaming no problem, too.

AMD 5650G for me. But not until 2022 when they’re not the latest greatest.

For general e-mail and office work, why one earth would you need more than 4 cores? Especially 4 modern cores even if they're Zen+?
For OP, I would not even hesitate recommending a Ryzen 3200G for the proposed workload. Though 3400G has better graphics if you envision light gaming happening.
For my work rig, I had a Ryzen 2600X. I would typically have 2-3 remote sessions open, several excel and word files, several browsers with dozens of tabs, outlook, spotify, notepad, bunch of other small stuff. Never reached 100% utilization of the 6-core Ryzen under those conditions, which are probably several times what the OP intends to run.
I have a Ryzen 3400G in my home server that is multipurpose - NAS, HTPC, dev rig. Runs base Win10 OS (HTPC/light gaming rig hooked up to TV) + HyperV for FreeNAS, centOS, another instance of Win10 for testing purposes. Normally, it's just base HTPC OS + FreeNAS and the 4C/8T 3400G handles it like a champ. Light gaming no problem, too.

Ryzen processors, even not that great ones are going for a premium right now. Very little reason to get an amd processor in the integrated graphics low end range.

A Ryzen 2200g is capable of 4K low settings in some games ..

Why don't you go find me some at regular retail within a reasonable price. (note I actually like the 2200/2400/3200/3400g, but not being able to find one at reasonable prices makes them a non starters). That is unless you want an oem machine.

Last edited:
Why don't you go find me some at regular retail within a reasonable price. (note I actually like the 2200/2400/3200/3400g, but not being able to find one at reasonable prices makes them a non starters). That is unless you want an oem machine.

I have one laying in my cpu pile .. got it for free really with a Visa $100 pre payed card for some tires I bought back then.

Back