AMD Announce Vega Frontier Edition

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
AMD Financial Analyst Day Raja Koduri Presentation
Raja Koduri, Radeon Technologies Group Senior VP and Chief Architect, just finished up with his AMD Analyst Day presentation that was firmly focused on its upcoming Vega GPU and how it will pertain to the Machine Learning and Advanced Visualization markets by introducing the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition.

Vega 4.jpg
Information in the pictures:

Attachments

• Vega 1.png
    Vega 1.png
    243 KB · Views: 52
  • Vega 2.png
    Vega 2.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Vega 3.png
    Vega 3.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone is wondering how big a difference quadro drivers make

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-9.html

Vega (not for gamers, pro drivers) vs Titan Xp and geforce drivers.

Honestly, shameful shit.

Instead when they run a benchmark where quadro drivers don't make a big difference (deepbench) they go for the 9.6tflop P100.
.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGABjXoVsgwgiURMbgaN-VN29d1_1zEtt6hAZawPYz1V57noJz9Kb7sz9amWcS1e-oYiUetyNZAGmEP3LhmBsijYHE8ChxxS9w-R8xJxNhIfexB_Sg7r6_QEHzSLh.4CCJPSOmHgwhOmejKMrhvy_dWb0

Quadro P5000 is simply a full fat GP104 chip. It's faster than Vega.

Last edited:
Seriously, didn't take long for the haters to show up. If you really like the Nvidia cards buy those and you can even tout their glory in the Nvidia subforum with like-minded individuals. But here it is not at all productive or warranted.

Really this info came from an investors meeting and you guys act surprised that they gave positive info and expect it to be all inclusive with every card out there even those it wont beat competitively.

Well that chart did not want to play ball for me. So here it is in plain text.
http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

SpecViewperf 12.1 (higher is better)
Catia
Vega 135.75
Titan 107.29
PTC Creo
Vega 83.94
Titan 65.2
Solidworks
Vega 114.88
Titan 67.75

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition NVIDIA Titan Xp

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering how big a difference quadro drivers make

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-9.html

Vega (not for gamers, pro drivers) vs Titan Xp and geforce drivers.

Honestly, shameful shit.

Instead when they run a benchmark where quadro drivers don't make a big difference (deepbench) they go for the 9.6tflop P100.
.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGABjXoVsgwgiURMbgaN-VN29d1_1zEtt6hAZawPYz1V57noJz9Kb7sz9amWcS1e-oYiUetyNZAGmEP3LhmBsijYHE8ChxxS9w-R8xJxNhIfexB_Sg7r6_QEHzSLh.4CCJPSOmHgwhOmejKMrhvy_dWb0

Quadro P5000 is simply a full fat GP104 chip. It's faster than Vega.

Of course they won't show those lol, That's why AMD hasn't made much inroads in the professional market, Can't really expect that to change. Also why nV can get way with charging crazy amounts for Quardro pieces and AMD can't for their Fire GL line.

Seriously, didn't take long for the haters to show up. If you really like the Nvidia cards buy those and you can even tout their glory in the Nvidia subforum with like-minded individuals. But here it is not at all productive or warranted.

Really this info came from an investors meeting and you guys act surprised that they gave positive info and expect it to be all inclusive with every card out there even those it wont beat competitively.
I do buy Nvidia cards, but I don't share your inherent need to surround yourself by like-minded individuals. I value my freedom to expose myself to opposing views that challenge my own, you should try that sometime.

>investor meeting

>intentionally misleading investors with regards to performance of upcoming products in their target markets (pro graphics)

>ethical company

Well, everyone knows that AMD is gonna try to spin positive info. They are trying to find the truth. Theres nothing unproductive or unwarranted about figuring out whats really going on.

I stopped listening to AMD marketing once they were putting VR Ready on the 480 RX Video cards. They must of not seen Kyle's benchmarks.

Blower style coolers suck ass. Look at Nvidia's as well, throttles as well. Just AMD has even worse Blower coolers LOL.

Of course they won't show those lol, That's why AMD hasn't made much inroads in the professional market, Can't really expect that to change. Also why nV can get way with charging crazy amounts for Quardro pieces and AMD can't for their Fire GL line.

Yeah but come on this is ridiculous, who do they think they are fooling lol.

When it comes to FP32 they choose to compare it to the lowest FP32 card in the whole upper end of the Pascal lineup.
When it comes to specview they compare it Titan X with geforce drivers. Are you fucking kidding me?

I stopped listening to AMD marketing once they were putting VR Ready on the 480 RX Video cards. They must of not seen Kyle's benchmarks.

Blower style coolers suck ass. Look at Nvidia's as well, throttles as well. Just AMD has even worse Blower coolers LOL.

nothing wrong with blower style coolers always a place for em

Well comparing Tesla XP to Vega FE is BS when a more direct comparison is a Quadro. I want to like AMD but them pulling stunts like this makes it very very hard for me to like them. Do you feel like comparing Vega FE to Tesla XP a fair comparison?

Yeah but come on this is ridiculous, who do they think they are fooling lol.

When it comes to FP32 they choose to compare it to the lowest FP32 card in the whole upper end of the Pascal lineup.
When it comes to specview they compare it Titan X with geforce drivers. Are you fucking kidding me?

They can't show that to investors lol, it would be very obvious they aren't coming to compete, and this is why Raja stated, he isn't talking about beating anyone, its about getting the product out there for people to see.

True, but my experience with Nvidia and AMD blowers is not good. I would rather get an AIB cooler anyday over a blower style.

I actually like the look of Vega, hopefully it doesn't throttle or consume crazy power. Love the lighted cube on the side.

It looks like a more expensive card that Titan Xp lol.

I do buy Nvidia cards, but I don't share your inherent need to surround yourself by like-minded individuals. I value my freedom to expose myself to opposing views that challenge my own, you should try that sometime.

>investor meeting

>intentionally misleading investors with regards to performance of upcoming products in their target markets (pro graphics)

>ethical company
First you would have to prove the performance is a lie, say like posting they got 69fps when it was really 59fps. They, like nearly every company, post positives usually in absence of any direct promises. Again that precludes your last point of ethics for AMD. However Nvidia and the 970 speak volumes to who really has ethics issues.

I actually like the look of Vega, hopefully it doesn't throttle or consume crazy power.

Well it did have 2 8pin adapters.....soooooo who knows.

Personally I'll just wait for reviews. Speculation gets me in trouble. Either way I am not saying it sucks I have no idea, I just do not believe marketing from Nvidia or AMD. Founders (ripoff) Edition anyone?

First you would have to prove the performance is a lie, say like posting they got 69fps when it was really 59fps. They, like nearly every company, post positives usually in absence of any direct promises. Again that precludes your last point of ethics for AMD. However Nvidia and the 970 speak volumes to who really has ethics issues.

Or charging $50-100 more than AIB for inferior cards?

AMD and nV both have crappy ethics, they are companies lets not get into that.

What it shows is AMD is cherry picking AGAIN, what happens when we saw them do this in the past?

What ? I don't think you understand. They compared Vega Frontier Instinct Edition to Titan Xp in SpecView.

Do you know what that means? it means geforce drivers.

Vega is not faster than Gp102 in SpecViewPerf. It's slower than GP104. I can prove that.

Edit:

To be clear I never made any remarks at any point in time about nvidia being ethical or anything like that, like I give a shit. It's a company, they do what they have to do make money right?

You're the one who always talks about ethics being a reason to buy AMD. How is this ethical :)

They want to claim superior performance over Pascal but it's clearly *far* behind as far as pro graphics are concerned. That leaves HPC (deep learning is a subset).

They're offering only FP16 and DP4A which NV has offered for a full year, they don't have a DP product.

Well it did have 2 8pin adapters.....soooooo who knows.

Personally I'll just wait for reviews. Speculation gets me in trouble. Either way I am not saying it sucks I have no idea, I just do not believe marketing from Nvidia or AMD. Founders (ripoff) Edition anyone?

Well oops ninja edited my post, but yeah I don't trust em either, just by the looks alone though its an attractive card more so than a Titan Xp.

Well oops ninja edited my post, but yeah I don't trust em either, just by the looks alone though its an attractive card more so than a Titan Xp.

True, but I mean is that Vega with 16GB of memory for compute or retail gaming?....Too much speculation for me to say anything concrete.

What ? I don't think you understand. They compared Vega Frontier Instinct Edition to Titan Xp in SpecView.

Vega is not faster than Gp102 in SpecViewPerf. It's slower than GP104. I can prove that.

Its completely misleading when not using Quadro's that means nV cards are not using hardware acceleration for most of the 3d work. Might as well use the IGP.........

True, but I mean is that Vega with 16GB of memory for compute or retail gaming?....Too much speculation for me to say anything concrete.

Pretty sure its only going to be for pro markets, its going to be EXPENSIVE lol, I don't expect frontier to be less than 1k.

Is anyone else here supremely disappointed how little to no information regarding consumer Vega? I get it, they want to expand the Enterprise market, but as far as I know, consumer is still their bread and butter.

Did they claim at any point to beat 102? no so not a lie just an omission. And do you believe showing that would have been in the best interest of the company? I hope most of you never have to give presentations for investors or sell ideas ( razor that one is for you as I am sure you don't give anything but rosy pitches in your field as a production lead or whatever it is you do).

Is anyone else here supremely disappointed how little to no information regarding consumer Vega? I get it, they want to expand the Enterprise market, but as far as I know, consumer is still their bread and butter.

End of the month is likely for that info. Most of that is kept secret up until very close to release.

Pretty sure its only going to be for pro markets, its going to be EXPENSIVE lol, I don't expect frontier to be less than 1k.

So my question is (and I blame Nvidia for this as well as AMD) Which Titan X was it compared too? The first Titan X (pascal) or the second Titan X (pascal)?

Judging by the specview results consumer will remain their bread and butter, hopefully with some marketshare gains in HPC. Pro graphics is definitely out of the question

Perhaps they used the titan due to the fact they plan to sell this card for the same price, would be my guess.

There are quadros at that price at that performance too. P4000 is around that price.

So my question is (and I blame Nvidia for this as well as AMD) Which Titan X was it compared too? The first Titan X (pascal) or the second Titan X (pascal)?

Don't know they didn't show that but again, looking at 15% difference either way no big deal.

you're very close to your expiration date....choose your words carefully going forward.
And do you believe showing that would have been in the best interest of the company? I hope most of you never have to give presentations for investors or sell ideas .
What a stupid question.

If I do ever have to give a presentation or sell an idea I'll make damn sure my product isn't competing in a space in which it is outclassed so badly a card based on a three year old architecture outperforms it by a significant margin.

While your solution to this problem would be to sugarcoat and spitshine a massive turd, my solution would negate the essence of the problem. This is why the world needs more people like me, and less like you. ;)

Don't know they didn't show that but again, looking at 15% difference either way no big deal.

Second titan Xp.

They wrote TitanXp

Not that it matters, because it's being beaten by Quadro P5000 in that benchmark. That's GP104. Aka GTX 1080.

End of the month is likely for that info. Most of that is kept secret up until very close to release.

I get it since it is Computex, but to show like 10 seconds gameplay of Elite Sniper 4 and that is it is really trolling to me.

I get it since it is Computex, but to show like 10 seconds gameplay of Elite Sniper 4 and that is it is really trolling to me.

Could just be trying to cover up the fact the card is just a 14nm Fury card with HBM2 support and minimal other changes. Because really that is all it might be :eek:

Could just be trying to cover up the fact the card is just a 14nm Fury card with HBM2 support and minimal other changes. Because really that is all it might be :eek:

you could almost say, this is what Fury should of been on the 14nm node. Remember Fury was originally designed to be on 16/14nm node, and that was pushed back (from what I remember)

Back