AMD Announce Vega Frontier Edition

There are quadros at that price at that performance too. P4000 is around that price.

Its around that performance in Catia unless I am missing something. Pro graphic cards are not my thing.

Its around that performance in Catia unless I am missing something. Pro graphic cards are not my thing.

Yeah looks to be around there not sure if everything is the same with settings but cursory it looks be around that.

Quadro P4000 is a GTX 1070. You're missing the joke

Like I said pro graphics are not my thing. I merely was pointing out its between a P4000 and P5000 and I am not going to pretend I know much more then that. At least we know for a fact HBM can come at 16GB on Vega.

Of course they won't show those lol, That's why AMD hasn't made much inroads in the professional market, Can't really expect that to change. Also why nV can get way with charging crazy amounts for Quardro pieces and AMD can't for their Fire GL line.

and those cards cost how much more?

p4000 costs 800 bucks. That is a gtx 1070 and that is what Vega looks to be at for the pro side.

But keeping this in mind AMD has always been behind nV in pro side when comparing Apples to Apples, so I still expect it to be at gtx 1080 level performance even based on this.

This will probably come close to the Titan but even if its a little faster its already late to the party unfortunately.

The 16GB of memory is nice though I'm not sure they have 100% confirmed its 100% HBM2. I still think there is a chance its 8GB HBM2 and 8GB something else (GDDR most likely)

PS: please stop thread crapping with Quadro comparisons. Not relevant at all unless NV is going to seriously drop Quadro prices or start de-gimping the consumer drivers (HINT: nothappening)

This will probably come close to the Titan but even if its a little faster its already late to the party unfortunately.

The 16GB of memory is nice though I'm not sure they have 100% confirmed its 100% HBM2. I still think there is a chance its 8GB HBM2 and 8GB something else (GDDR most likely)

PS: please stop thread crapping with Quadro comparisons. Not relevant at all unless NV is going to seriously drop Quadro prices or start de-gimping the consumer drivers (HINT: nothappening)

Frontier Edition is a pro card it should be compared to Quardors,

Reactions: noko
like this

The slide specifically says 16GB hbm2.

I think this will be a lot like the pro-duo as far as professional, so more like a prosumer card, less like a Quadro.

maybe, don't know, but what ever it is, its going to be an expensive card and not that impressive for pro side if its only at 1070 level performance.

maybe, don't know, but what ever it is, its going to be an expensive card and not that impressive for pro side if its only at 1070 level performance.

It was above the P4000 on the chart comparison, might be setting differences but I doubt it. It's in between a 1070 and 1080 based on numbers just cant be 100% for sure but that seems right to me for a pro card. But like anything where they price in relation to competition is what maters most, it's more fun that people were wrong about Vega having 16GB of HBM, sadly looks doubtful will see it on the consumer side, but who knows.

I just think AMD has shit load of work to do on the driver side. It seems like their hardware has the specs but they are still lacking driver support on software side. May be they will keep improving it but they got a lot of work to do. They have improved on gaming but pro driver side seems like its still lacking.

I just think AMD has shit load of work to do on the driver side. It seems like their hardware has the specs but they are still lacking driver support on software side. May be they will keep improving it but they got a lot of work to do. They have improved on gaming but pro driver side seems like its still lacking.

Nah don't expect them to do much in the pro market man, most 3d modelling renderers are based on Ogl, and that is a weak spot for AMD for years. They need to completely new driver stack to fix those things, something they just can't do right now. Shit they haven't been able to do that even when making money with their r300's back in the day.

It was above the P4000 on the chart comparison, might be setting differences but I doubt it. It's in between a 1070 and 1080 based on numbers just cant be 100% for sure but that seems right to me for a pro card. But like anything where they price in relation to competition is what maters most, it's more fun that people were wrong about Vega having 16GB of HBM, sadly looks doubtful will see it on the consumer side, but who knows.

you are right its hard to say comparing across different benchmark sites and theirs but still, I just don't expect them to do much in the pro market. It's never been AMD's or ATI's strong suite.

Seriously, didn't take long for the haters to show up. If you really like the Nvidia cards buy those and you can even tout their glory in the Nvidia subforum with like-minded individuals. But here it is not at all productive or warranted.

Really this info came from an investors meeting and you guys act surprised that they gave positive info and expect it to be all inclusive with every card out there even those it wont beat competitively.
Its sad really. I own a TXP and I couldn't be happier to see progress. It seems that these individuals are here just to be negative, yet I bet most of them don't remember the times when ATI/Radeon cards would blow NVIDIA's offering out of the water. Close competition is good and the real winners are the consumers. This was posted in the AMD sub forum, not the Video Cards forum or the NVIDIA forum.

Only an idiot would want AMD to do poorly. It would be better for everyone if AMD released a product that absolutely crushed NVIDIA. Maybe we wouldn't get $650 mid-size chips as the "high end" launch.

Nah don't expect them to do much in the pro market man, most 3d modelling renderers are based on Ogl, and that is a weak spot for AMD for years. They need to completely new driver stack to fix those things, something they just can't do right now. Shit they haven't been able to do that even when making money with their r300's back in the day.

Nvidia must have a much larger driver team. I don't think being smart is an issue here because we can't say people for AMD can't code. It probably has to do with resources may be they sell enough of these ryzen and threadripper chips to hire a team that builds shit from ground up.

it isn't that, I think its expertise, AMD/ATi rewrote their Ogl drivers twice in the past 10 years (at least that is what they stated), I think they just haven't paid enough attention to them. If they can do fine in DX, there should be no reason to do well in Ogl too. Its just an API, there is no underlying advantage or disadvantage when it comes to that. That's why all that talk about nV hardware being weak in newer API's is all BS. It has more to do with with neglect vs not being able to do it. And neglect lends to lack of expertise.

Yea but I think a lot of companies might go with Vulkan over OpenGL now.

Yea but I think a lot of companies might go with Vulkan over OpenGL now.

Hard to say, 3d renderers aren't like games, Vulkan adoption for them is not paramount unlike gaming with the Vulkan API. Vulkan is very good with cross platform and mobile, the only extras Vulkan has over OGl for 3d modellers, really is speed at specific tasks, Ogl has many more features though, and is backward compatible for many more systems and GPU's, and that is something that will be hard for 3d modellers users to get away from they need that wide base.

Hard to say, 3d renderers aren't like games, Vulkan adoption for them is not paramount unlike gaming with the Vulkan API. Vulkan is very good with cross platform and mobile, the only extras Vulkan has over OGl for 3d modellers, really is speed at specific tasks, Ogl has many more features though, and is backward compatible for many more systems and GPU's, and that is something that will be hard for 3d modellers users to get away from they need that wide base.

Hmm Good point. I was think more of game developers. Bethesda is moving to Vulkan, Hell even Star Citizen is too. Not sure what games still use OpenGL, or any future games.

Is anyone else here supremely disappointed how little to no information regarding consumer Vega? I get it, they want to expand the Enterprise market, but as far as I know, consumer is still their bread and butter.
Yes. I am very disappointed. There should have been more info.

Hmm Good point. I was think more of game developers. Bethesda is moving to Vulkan, Hell even Star Citizen is too. Not sure what games still use OpenGL, or any future games.

well most game devs use 3dsmax or maya, both maya and max have Dx too. so, why even go to vulkan at this point, the API isn't going to give them any extra features. Just creates complexities and cost.

Its not like they are using in game shaders or anything, can always use the built in shaders of Ogl or DX to emulate what will be seen in the game though.

Only an idiot would want AMD to do poorly. It would be better for everyone if AMD released a product that absolutely crushed NVIDIA. Maybe we wouldn't get $650 mid-size chips as the "high end" launch.
Completely agree with the above.

Nvidia' business plan is rolling along just fine even when AMD isn't competing.

Lol yesterday the narrative was 16Gb is impossible guys!

Today it's 'hand waving picking specific benchmarks like AMD does for investor meetings'
'60 degrees at 2Ghz guiyz!'
'GP188 is faster in obscurabench 10! AMD SUXX guys!!'

Switches to 'Lets concern troll because they didn't announce dGPU Vega a month early'

Both AMD drawing this out and the Nvidia shills are growing pretty tiresome. I might just have to pick up a matrox out of spite :/

Now its july or aug.....then it will be before Christmas.
I hate to say it but how long will you guys keep shouting AMD when they don't do anything but talk.

Ooooooooooooooooochimpanzeee.jpg

Habbenin'

Now its july or aug.....then it will be before Christmas.
I hate to say it but how long will you guys keep shouting AMD when they don't do anything but talk.
Who the hell said July or august? Amd has another event at the end of month. How do you know gaming cards won't launch in June?

Who the hell said July or august? Amd has another event at the end of month. How do you know gaming cards won't launch in June?

Considering AMD just held a Financial Analyst Day to keep investors happy, one would think AMD would want to reassure investors about Vega on the consumer side. The way their statements are aligning, starting to sound as if AMD is gonna push consumer Vega into Q3.

Btw, AMD has posted their presentations from the webcast, and roadmaps.

Considering AMD just held a Financial Analyst Day to keep investors happy, one would think AMD would want to reassure investors about Vega on the consumer side. The way their statements are aligning, starting to sound as if AMD is gonna push consumer Vega into Q3.

Btw, AMD has posted their presentations from the webcast, and roadmaps.

You think way too much. You are like making things up in your head. You fail to realize it wasn't a gaming event right? Have they ever launched gaming cards at analyst day recently? I can't think of any, computex is two weeks away and AMD is doing another event there. I don't know what part of that is so hard to understand. They will likely be launching threadripper and Vega gaming the same time for enthusiasts. Afterall they launched polaris there and that's a tech event not analyst day! Like I said you are over thinking this.

Back