AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

Looks like MSRP is $189 USD for 6850 and $249 USD for 6870 according to Guru.

Looks like MSRP is $189 USD for 6850 and $249 USD for 6870 according to Guru.
sounds about fair to me for the performance.too bad the 6870 cant oc worth a poop in that review though. that means a gtx460 would nearly match it if both gtx460 and 6870 are overclocked to their max.

maybe but oc-ing adds heat and power draw. I'd rather have matching performance on stock rather-quiet settings.

Looks like the 6870 beats the 470 pretty much across the board, and comes pretty darn close to the 5870 a few times... sounds pretty dang good to me, especially for $250.

maybe but oc-ing adds heat and power draw. I'd rather have matching performance on stock rather-quiet settings.
lol um okay. that may be your personal preference but most enthusiasts want some overclocking head room. by that i mean being able to oc at least around 15% or better with no voltage would be nice. this card could only do 5% which means that pushed the clocks to the limit straight from the factory. using your logic you better go for the 6850 since the 6870 has higher clocks and uses more power. lol

Looks like the 6870 beats the 470 pretty much across the board, and comes pretty darn close to the 5870 a few times... sounds pretty dang good to me, especially for $250.

Even in crossfire. Looking good so far for a midrange card :) :

crossfire.png

lol um okay. that may be your personal preference but most enthusiasts want some overclocking head room. by that i mean being able to oc at least around 15% or better with no voltage would be nice. this card could only do 5% which means that pushed the clocks to the limit straight from the factory. using your logic you better go for the 6850 since the 6870 has higher clocks and uses more power. lol
You're forgetting one factor though: Price.

If the 460 1gb underperforms a 6850 for the same price, but can match it with an overclock, why not just get a 6850 in the first place? That's my argument.

And yes, I am looking at 6850/GTX460 1GB price range. I want to limit myself to a ~200$ card.

You're forgetting one factor though: Price.

If the 460 1gb underperforms a 6850 for the same price, but can match it with an overclock, why not just get a 6850 in the first place? That's my argument.

And yes, I am looking at 6850/GTX460 1GB price range. I want to limit myself to a ~200$ card.
well I would certainly choose the 6850 over the 6870 for 60 bucks less. between the gtx460 and 6850 at the same price it would be a little tougher call though. I usually prefer Nvidia and the gtx460 and 6850 would be neck and neck when both oced.

well I would certainly choose the 6850 over the 6870 for 60 bucks less. between the gtx460 and 6850 at the same price it would be a little tougher call though. I usually prefer Nvidia and the gtx460 and 6850 would be neck and neck when both oced.

I don't know about that. Guru got near 900 MHz when OC the 6850 and considering it was faster at base clock rate, I don't know that the 460 can catch up.

For me it would be a no brainer though since I don't overclock graphics cards as I prefer stability. At base clock rates 6850 seems like the winner.

I don't know about that. Guru got near 900 MHz when OC the 6850 and considering it was faster at base clock rate, I don't know that the 460 can catch up.

For me it would be a no brainer though since I don't overclock graphics cards as I prefer stability. At base clock rates 6850 seems like the winner.
light overclocking gives you more value and use out of your product though. cards don't become unstable if you know what you ares doing. I personally don't like to mess with voltage but a simple overclock is silly not to do. my gtx260 can easily run at 715/2350 with no stability issues but I compromise and clock it a bit lower. still at nearly 100mhz above stock gtx260 it has allowed me to increase settings and playable framerates in all the latest games. ;)

I'd prefer ATI made a little more money before Nvidia really steps up their game again. Would be pretty horrible if they went bankrupt and we got stuck with only one company.

I can smell that new fresh heated up PCI interface cooking.

I keep telling myself my HD5770s in CF are plenty of power.

I'd prefer ATI made a little more money before Nvidia really steps up their game again. Would be pretty horrible if they went bankrupt and we got stuck with only one company.

AMD bankrupt? I don't foresee that happening, since they still have their processors to fall back on; plus their profit margins are higher than Nvidia's.

That's what I'm thinking.....But Nvidia needs to get back on its A-Game.

Even tho I prefer NVidia, this is the greatest thing to happen in along time. Just like I prefer Intel to AMD.... I hope bulldozer rocks Intel's socks.

Just because competition is great for us. It drives innovation for future products, and lowers prices for us consumers.

I can smell that new fresh heated up PCI interface cooking.

I keep telling myself my HD5770s in CF are plenty of power.

HA! I keep telling myself these 4850's are enough power...seeing a few benchmarks of what the 6870 Crossfire has to offer - my 4850's are starting to feel aged. They score almost 17k in vantage, and according to some other sites (I can't read Japanese) the 6870 Crossfire is hitting almost 28k!

Speaking of smells - I just installed fresh yate loons into my case, replacing all the old ones - gotta love the smell of fresh hardware :D

Yep AMD is in poor financial shape, they need some wins.

Even tho I prefer NVidia, this is the greatest thing to happen in along time. Just like I prefer Intel to AMD.... I hope bulldozer rocks Intel's socks.

Just because competition is great for us. It drives innovation for future products, and lowers prices for us consumers.

I wish everyone was that optimistic and focused on getting the best product. I hadn't bought an ATI card in almost 10 years before the 5000 series. I typically support Nvidia, but felt I needed to try something different.

I'll keep dreaming of the day when people don't defend corporations that are wholly concerned about market share and profit. Now, if AMD/Nvidia is paying your mortgage and car note, I can rationalize such behavior....But, I never understood such silliness.

Yep AMD is in poor financial shape, they need some wins.

Huh?

I just ordered an ASUS 6870 from NewEgg, go go early adopter for me.. oh boy.

I am proud to be wrong as it appears no price gouging as of yet.

Any price gouging will happen if the initial batch of Barts is not enough to keep up with demand. Hopefully AMD learned their lesson with Cypress and built up an adequate supply.

Any price gouging will happen if the initial batch of Barts is not enough to keep up with demand. Hopefully AMD learned their lesson with Cypress and built up an adequate supply.

Thats why I threw in the word yet. :D I want to stay wrong of course.

Now I need only wait for the [H] Review to make my pick of 6850 or 6870. Those 6850's are definitely priced to move though.

No price gouging yet but still a little higher than what my budget can handle right now.

When the HD5000 series cards launched the prices seemed high but after a few weeks the prices really did get crazy high.

When to buy????? :confused:

The launch date was the 21st ;)

Actually, it might have been the 22nd at first, but they moved it up a bit, (well i guess its the 22nd in other parts of the world)

Never was the 18th or sooner!! yikes

Would a Q9550 be able to run crossfire 6850's fairly well without too much of a bottleneck? I would be gaming at 5040x1020. Don't want to invest too much into these cards if I would be holding them back too much.

Back