amBX is cheap as chips and looks great with Eyefinity!

Finkus

Gawd
Not viral marketing but I thought I'd mention it here as I just picked up some old stock of these amBX kits and was very impressed with the immersion/price ratio. Hadn't even heard of them until Christmas when I was looking for some kind of mood lighting for my PC room and they came up on a search.

Phillips aren't making them any more so I managed to get two Starter Kits (2 satellites and 1 wall washer each) for 25 quid each. It was so cheap that I figured it was well worth giving it a try. I think Mad Catz are making a new line of amBX peripherals this year so now is a good opportunity to pick up the old stock for next to nothing and see if you like the effect.

I was really blown away with how good this looked behind me Eyefinity setup. I went for two starter kits, which is essentially 10 lights in a row behind the three screens. It takes a bit to configure the placement in software and there is a bit of driver trickery to get them sorted on Windows 7. Once I sorted it though it was like surround sound, for lighting.

They software just picks up the colours on segments of each screen and lights up the light behind that segment. It's very subtle but adds tons to the atmosphere. A quick run through of the first level of L4D2 and I was sold. Dark staircases had most of the lights off, switching on a torch and walking towards a wall lit the centre lights brightly as if the torchlight was shining off the wall. Firing a pistol or SMG in the dark causes rapid pulses of lights as the environment is lit up by the gun flash. Walking out from the hotel corridors into the bright sun on the balcony causes all the lights to shine brightly. Escaping from the burning hotel lobby surrounds you in oranges, yellow, red. It's just brilliant.

There are some vids on YouTube with eyefinity and amBX set up at the same time. Some of the amBX vids I found were not setup correctly and just displayed random pastel colours all the time. This Crysis one is quite good I have all my lights behind the Eyefinity in a line though. I would find visible ones too annoying.

Sorry if people find this post annoying but I stumbled on these things by accident and wish I had known about them a bit sooner (not too sooner, I don't know that I would have paid top dollar for them) If Eyefinity or 3D seem out of your price range then this is a great cheap immersion effect. It works for music and movies too, although that's less cool in Eyefinity because only the centre few lights cover the width of the film.

EDIT: I'll get some photos up if people are interested in seeing. Maybe later tonight when it's darker as they lose their impact during the day.

Ok some shots going up now, as nobody seems terribly interested and I think it is very cool.

Two kits behind the Eyefinity screens, which is 4 satellite lights and 2 wall washers (each made up of 3 lights). The satellites are a bit of a cable nightmare tbh but 3 wall washers would have meant 3 mains plugs. 2 is enough already.

Gratuitous rig shot! So loving my Eyefinity.

Mood lighting whilst in the desktop. There is a program that lets you have all sorts of mood lighting combinations that animate and such. I like the cool blue static one the most though.

Team Fortress 2. Well map. If you look at right hand bezel, the sun is actually over that spot and the lighting behind the screens reflects this. If you rotate the view then the sun and the lighting all move smoothly, like listening to a surround sound noise that moves through the sound field.

Same map, but turned to the right. The sun is now over the left bezel and the light behind the screens has moved accordingly.

Red Base. TF2 does a lot of subtle things with colour schemes to orientate the player and amBX picks up on these colour queues really well. There are lots of red pieces of scenery in the red base.

Blue Base. Another extreme example.

Left4Dead2. Hotel map. It's so cool coming down in the elevator. When the lights go out, so do your lights, just before you have to force your way into the burning lobby, which surrounds you in colour.

Didnt even know what amBX was when I first read your post. Looks quite nice. Thanks for the pictures and information. I bet amBX lighting makes explosions come to life.

not to be obnoxious, but you've got those positioned so poorly

put the base units behind the LCDs, you can put the satellites around you, next to the monitors, etc

also ensure you configure their positions in the amBX software

why do you want to do this? because otherwise those are either going to display colors that aren't localized properly, or are going to display the same color across every unit, as opposed to providing the complete surround/immersion available with that setup

I put the satellites behind the screens to act like wallwashers and configured all 10 lights in the software to behave in a line behind the screens. The localisation is perfect across all 10 lights. They line up exactly with what is appearing on all 3 screens. (see the TF2 sun example).

You can test this more thoroughly with the Creator software that lets you make light-scapes and position coloured light sources wherever you like across your screens.

I think satellites to the sides of the screen, in plain view, look ugly and distracting, which is why I hid mine. If you watch that Crysis video, they just look awful like that and detract from the experience I think. Ideally I should have gone for 3 wall washer units and not plugged in any satellites.

Hadn't heard of these either, very cool though! Like behind-the-screen contrast lighting taken to an extreme :D.

Doesn't farcry2 support this sort of thing?

I think the whole SDK supports lights, fans that blow in your face and a rumble wrist pad but the support never really took off. I thought the extra stuff sounded quite gimmicky myself but the lights appealed. The lights work in any game, or with movies. They don't need to be supported by developers.

I've seen some amBX stuff on Woot before, but their description and/or my understanding of it wasn't too great. Your pics actually show quite well what it is that the product actually does. I may now consider a purchase next time I see them on a deal site.

I like the ambient effect behind the monitors, but I agree that the satellites on the side just look like stupid bling lights stuck there for no reason.

I just bought two sets from sears for $30 each. I am definitely covering the front of the satellites with black tape though.

I hate you, I just went to Sears and bought a pair for my new system -_- At 30 bucks... I guess you can't go wrong eh?

I think the whole SDK supports lights, fans that blow in your face and a rumble wrist pad but the support never really took off. I thought the extra stuff sounded quite gimmicky myself but the lights appealed. The lights work in any game, or with movies. They don't need to be supported by developers.

the whole amBX system (which is now separate from Philips) supports a lot of things, the lights are the most talked about feature, there is also a fan set and wrist pad (its like $25 from Tiger right now, btw), if the game has amBX code (just like how some games support PhysX), the fans and wrist pad can be used, they're expected to be releasing new products this year in co-operation with Mad Catz for consoles, and perhaps new PC peripherals, so far they've been pretty solid on maintaining support for the Philips hardware as well

otherwise you have to rely either on mods/profiles created by amBX (the company), or its default scheme, which both limit you to lights (for example it has a factory profile for Oblivion, which is better than the default RPG scheme, however not as good as a developer solution like Toca 3 or FarCry 2)

the effects you'll get in actual amBX games can't even begin to compare to the profile/simulated stuff (which is sort of like Ambilight on crack), FarCry 2 is one of very few FPS titles that support amBX

a full list can be found here:
http://www.ambx.com/wiki/List_of_compatible_games
that does include games that use factory profiles or modified settings, not just developer titles (it mentions whats what)

as far as the placement, good to know you've got them setup right in software, personally I wouldn't go with the line, but if you like it (from first look though it seemed like you'd just plugged it in, set it in a line, and said lol lets dance)

one note for users/potential users:
the amBX client software can sometimes cause stability issues, for example until a recent update, it would lead to a lot of crashes/freezes in Fallout 3 (its mostly worthless in that game, think about that it looks for the average color on screen, what color is almost everything in Fallout 3?), but overall its pretty much universally compatible, if theres any performance hit for the HAL/client software, I haven't noticed it

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00316141000P is the $30 kit with the wallwasher and two satellites. http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=7993 is the one I'd seen before. $100 for a wallwasher, speakers, sub, fan, and rumbler.

Looks like the lights are the most widely supported. I've already got good 5.1 speakers and people said the rumbler could be too much at times. The $30 kit seems like a much better deal for me.

By creating ambient lighting based on what's on your screen, in a way it's giving you a bigger monitor. In a lot of your screenshots, there wouldn't be much detail above the top of your monitor (more sky, a wall, etc.). The lights can do a basic extension of what's on your screen to the wall around it. Obviously it's not the same as adding a second row of monitors, but as the sun demo shows, it can actually provide additional visual information beyond the edges of your monitor. It's not Eyefinity or anything, but it's also only $30.

This Eyefinity stuff just isn't for me. I cannot stand the interrupted view from the bezels.

This Eyefinity stuff just isn't for me. I cannot stand the interrupted view from the bezels.

Have you tried it? I'm willing to bet the bezels will disappear within a few seconds of playing if you did.

Eyefinity and amBX both work in similar ways. Your attention is almost 100% focused on the crosshairs in the middle of your centre screen. It has to be, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to shoot people! The extra view from the peripheral screens and the additional lighting from amBX all provide extra information that you brain processes to make you feel like you're really there, which is the ultimate goal for a first person game.

its worse in pictures then it is in person.. when your actually playing on the system you dont notice the bezels after a couple minutes..

but damn that lighting looks sick!

I think I am going to have to order me a kit now. Thanks for putting another dent in my pocket book.

OP's pictures look pretty nice, but I think part of the reason why is because he's using 2 sets

I'd imagine the lighting to be less pronounced and effective with just 1 set

Thank you for the post Finkus.

Could detail the steps/links to get this working properly under Win. 7 64 bit?

Very cool, I didn't know this kind of thing existed! I bet a great side effect is that it would cut down on eye strain. I wonder if they make LED strips for an HDTV..

Thank you for the post Finkus.

Could detail the steps/links to get this working properly under Win. 7 64 bit?

You're welcome.

I read up about the driver situation on the amBX forum first and they recommend throwing the Phillips CD away as the driver and software is woefully out of date. Everything you need is on the amBX website and here is the link with step by step instructions on installing it on Win 7, 64bit.

http://www.ambx.com/wiki/Installation#Windows_7

I am quite intrigued by this, but I have a few questions about the $30 started kit the OP bought.

Do you have to use the speakers for the ambient lighting to work?
Can you use the wall washer separately, without using the two satellites?
And, can you physically separate the light component from the speaker component on the satellites?

Thanks

I am quite intrigued by this, but I have a few questions about the $30 started kit the OP bought.

Do you have to use the speakers for the ambient lighting to work?
Can you use the wall washer separately, without using the two satellites?
And, can you physically separate the light component from the speaker component on the satellites?

Thanks

The starter kit is just lights. The satellites have no speakers in them. Each wall washer is connected via a power lead to the mains and a USB lead to the PC and acts like a hub for all the other amBX devices to link into. So you need wallwasher units but you don't necessarily need any other amBX peripherals.

The software is configurable and just shows the environment as compass points. You can assign whatever lights you like to a compass direction by dragging and dropping. I would imagine that 3 wallwashers, one behind each screen, would be the most ideal setup for Eyefinity, assuming you can spare the plug sockets. All 3 lights in each wallwasher are individually configurable.

With my setup I have four satellites, two in West and two in East. The two outer lights in each wallwasher at North West and North East and then the two central lights of the wallwashers at North. That seems to give perfect localisation across the whole 3-panel display using all the lights.

Okay, I'm sold. I've been looking for ambient lighting for a while, and this should be perfect.

So I'm guessing you need to buy two starter kits for the fully-immersive Eyefinity experience? Four satellites + Two wallwashers?

EDIT: Wow, as soon as I was about to buy it one on eBay, someone buys it. Who's the culprit?! :eek:

ty, bought one cheap of ebay too. Even if it is eol (or very cheap anyway) looks like Philips spun off the hardware into a separate company who are still actively supporting it so new games still supported.

Anyone know if Sears still has them in stock in SoCal? The closest one is around 20 miles away and I don't want to waste gas driving there only to find out it's out of stock.

Edit: Nm, just checked... OOS. Ebay it is.

Last edited:
Pretty slick, I have to say. These units look a bit...cheap, but I'll bite.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd imagine that these will eliminate some eye strain as well, which makes $30 a pretty good investment if your setup is devoid of any kind of backlighting.

I'd never really been interested in amBX at all, untill seeing how it works and seeing it in action. I just picked up the lighting kit from the K-Mart link that was posted. Thanks for that! $41 shipped to my home. Better price than most of the eBay auctions out there. I thought about buying 2, like the OP pictures and most of the videos, but I'll start with 1 and see how I like it. Maybe I'd rather invest in the other accessories after that. I hope this continues to be supported. Seems pretty cool.

OP or anyone that can answer this, you have a wallwasher and that can control either nothing or extra lights, fans, wrist vibrator etc.

My question is about the wallwashers themselves, does the software treat each one individually or does it see the two or three wallwashers in the program and allow you to adjust them accordingly and likewise with whatever lights you have plugged in to the wallwashers. Does the software detect what is plugged in to each wallwasher?

Otherwise this would be rather cool to have behind triple screens. Thanks for the pics. :D

OP or anyone that can answer this, you have a wallwasher and that can control either nothing or extra lights, fans, wrist vibrator etc.

My question is about the wallwashers themselves, does the software treat each one individually or does it see the two or three wallwashers in the program and allow you to adjust them accordingly and likewise with whatever lights you have plugged in to the wallwashers. Does the software detect what is plugged in to each wallwasher?

Otherwise this would be rather cool to have behind triple screens. Thanks for the pics. :D

Even if you had a single wallwasher it would show up as 3 lights (it's just a bank of 3 lights that points at the wall) that you could place separately. The software just shows you every light that is plugged in, regardless of how or where. They all just show up as individual lights and you drag and drop them into different areas around the screen.

There is a video on youtube somewhere of some guy with about 20-30 kits on the same system and he's literally flanked by wallwashers. It's nuts.

Purchased one kit to see how well it works. Is there anywhere that sells the extra satellite lights?

Decided to sleep on it and now Kmart is sold out. Anywhere else to get this for 29.99?

I got mine off Ebay for 29.99.....ten bucks shipping but some have free shipping...

Back