Amazon Prime and Nothing Else

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Todd Haselton went all out on Amazon Prime for a week, using it as a source for everything that he needed in his life, and this is what he learned from the experience. It seems that food and drugs are not good for Amazon Prime and survival.

My plan was to order my food and clothing from Amazon and use only Amazon's TV and music services for entertainment. If something broke around the house, or if I needed anything at all, I'd first have to get it through Amazon. It turns out that living only with Amazon Prime, while possible, is way harder than I imagined.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I get almost everything from Amazon that I need, and have for years. The only things I don't get from Amazon is food and one supplement. Citrucel doesn't really qualify as a drug or medicine, so I'll just call it a supplement. It doesn't ship well, and typically arrives with half the tablets broken and a ton of dust at the bottom. So, I can't get it from Amazon. And frozen food and Arizona Tea don't work very well when bought online. Otherwise, I get it all from Amazon: clothes, vitamins, medicines, electronics, shoes, all of it. I even buy my gifts on Amazon and have them sent directly to my family members. During Christmas, I even have them pre-wrapped. Amazon can't possibly be a 100% solution, but it does work well for a 90% solution.

I absolutely hate going out in public. People are selfish, stupid jerks, for the most part, especially during the Christmas shopping season. So, I avoid it as much as I can. I buy groceries for a week or more at a time, so I have to go out as little as possible.

That means my brother in law will still be living with my in laws until this can replace them. He even works at home for amazon.

Todd.. seems lazy

" I almost always cheated " how many times was that repeated in the article?? so, you wanted to write an article about only using amazon prime.. for 1 WHOLE week, but couldn't.. because

drugs have to be gotten at a pharmacy, else almost everything else i order is from amazon, and fresh food from instacart.

Jesus.

First.World.Problem.

Suck it up.

WAAAAAAAAH.....I had to actually pump gasoline. Really???

Amazon is not a complete life service, not sure why anyone would expect it to be.

Often I buy items from all kinds of other places because amazon doesn't have it.

For the meds, if not leaving the house is important, I cant remember the company but I had my meds mailed to me, and for gasoline, probably should get an electric car so you dont have that issue, since full service gas stations arent really a thing anymore.

90% of life from amazon? I mean I enjoy a good shut in day, but the gleeful
The things that "journalists" do and write about to get attention nowadays..
Indeed, because no one has written about "living in a mall/airport/walmart/on-the-streets/etc for X hours" before.

We have the new Target grocery delivery option in our part of town. We paid $50.00 for the year and we get our groceries delivered to the house. Kind of neat!

Still can't grasp why ANY brick and mortar grocery store would provide any options that don't involve the customer entering the store. Impulse purchases are huge in the grocery biz. Do they not see what they are losing by attempting to compete with Amazon. The food I buy from Amazon is all on sub-n-save and way cheaper than the local Kroger.

The food I buy from Amazon is all on sub-n-save and way cheaper than the local Kroger.

We use instacart now for our grocery shopping. Amazon is great and all, but some things suck when it comes to shipping. Canned foods..LOL Always get a couple cans damaged. Also the prices on some things are more expensive, for us, on amazon. Plus the interface for grocery shopping just isnt there for amazon.

instacart is a few bucks more then regular grocery shopping, but with my limited time to do such, well worth it. We have found we are eating a better variety of things as well as i can shop from the comfort of home and spend time browsing. When at the store.. i dont feel the same way.

Food and Dry Goods are the worst thing you could ever possibly buy off Amazon.

Even electronics if your diligent are cheaper off of Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and or eBay.

Need a 55" 4K Samsung for 1/2 off? Good .. some idiot just bought one and now desperately needs the cash to make rent.

S9+ ... PS4 Pro ..... Games .... $150 Nintendo Switch? I've bought 3 of them recently. Stay away from Amazon for the love of god and use all that money you've saved to take a vacation.

Amazon should never be your first or only choice.

I have prime and I use Amazon a lot but it's hail mary for me for most anything.

Your freezer and the weekly sales ad are your best friend.

Meat on sale, buy for 30 - 60 days. Dollar Tree for your .99 cent body wash and house hold cleaning goods.

Everyone I know blows a ton of money. They don't even try to save.

Still can't grasp why ANY brick and mortar grocery store would provide any options that don't involve the customer entering the store. Impulse purchases are huge in the grocery biz. Do they not see what they are losing by attempting to compete with Amazon. The food I buy from Amazon is all on sub-n-save and way cheaper than the local Kroger.

Because of the new trend of that service. If they don't offer it as well then they could just be left in the dust. I do enjoy the walmar grocery pick up. Wife orders it and i stop by on the way home, easily time saved and less rude people to deal with.

Your right about impulse buys. It makes up nearly all the profits for the store. I used to be a meat cutter and they rammed that home all the time.

Get a freezer and storage self and stock it up on sale items. The grocery stores will NEVER make any profit off you and in 12 months you would have saved $1500 - $2000 for 2 people, more if you are buying for 3 or 4.

I really hope you young people do not try and buy everything from the Sofa or delivered. Jeezus .... that's a lot of money out the window

That said, has anyone else noticed amazons free 2-day is turning more into free 3-4 day?

That said, has anyone else noticed amazons free 2-day is turning more into free 3-4 day?
Has anyone noticed that the quality of shipment has gone down as well? I have repeatedly told Amazon to have my stuff delivered to the side door where there's an area where you can put stuff and not have the weather do bad things to it and yet they still don't listen.

Has anyone noticed that the quality of shipment has gone down as well? I have repeatedly told Amazon to have my stuff delivered to the side door where there's an area where you can put stuff and not have the weather do bad things to it and yet they still don't listen.

For fedex, ups (if they apply to you) you can set up free accounts with them to provide delivery instructions for each package you get from them, once set it will apply to everything you get sent to you.

I have been getting things sent to me by lasership, and that company go f**k right off.

We use instacart now for our grocery shopping. Amazon is great and all, but some things suck when it comes to shipping. Canned foods..LOL Always get a couple cans damaged. Also the prices on some things are more expensive, for us, on amazon. Plus the interface for grocery shopping just isnt there for amazon.

instacart is a few bucks more then regular grocery shopping, but with my limited time to do such, well worth it. We have found we are eating a better variety of things as well as i can shop from the comfort of home and spend time browsing. When at the store.. i dont feel the same way.

I work 120-190 hours every two weeks, and I still have time to go to the grocery store. How do you not have an hour to spend getting groceries?

I work 120-190 hours every two weeks, and I still have time to go to the grocery store. How do you not have an hour to spend getting groceries?

For me the experience of the store is enough to not deal with it. Also would rather not spend 2hours+ with grocery store (if you count drive time) and spend that with my hobbies or family instead.

It is all about what people want with the limited time we have on this rock. Some people enjoy the store, who am I to say they shouldn't, that is what I like about having choices. For me it is also a 30minute drive to the store.

Yeah it seemed kind of odd. I mean I have a fire stick - with direct TV Now - an app ON the stick - I can get all the tv I want with cloud DVR service - movies on demand, tv, sports - even games. I mean the writer COULD have gotten a used fire phone and really toughed it out. The writer could have saved a lot of time and just wrote "Prime does not offer everything."

You don't realize how much I buy on impulse from Amazon.

Because it is generally not the impulse shoppers they are losing. They are losing the shoppers that don't really want to go to the grocery store and only want certain items. If they can get those items shipped to them, they why go at all? Those are the shoppers they lose. Typically shoppers like me. I get a lot of stuff I need shipped, I typically only go to the grocery store when I need fresh produce. Also, I generally use the delivery option for the grocery store as well.

And even if those reasons don't suffice, it is still easy to impulse buy on the store's online site. They share deals and suggestions on the site. So there is still quite a bit of impulse buying involved. Hell I would bet that Amazon still makes a fair deal of sales from impulse buying because the person doesn't even have to leave their house, they can just click and buy something and have it delivered. I know I have bought way more things since I could get them delivered from Amazon because I hate going out and dealing with finding stuff in stores or waiting in line or dealing with crappy people.

Grocery stores are offering curb side pickup to combat this. You order online and then they text you when your order is ready. You park in a designated spot and someone comes out and loads up your groceries. It beats two day or even same day shipping. Retailers need to figure out how to compete or join online or be driven out of business. There will always be a need to see and touch an item but when you are dealing with consumables - charmin is charmin is charmin.

For me the experience of the store is enough to not deal with it. Also would rather not spend 2hours+ with grocery store (if you count drive time) and spend that with my hobbies or family instead.

It is all about what people want with the limited time we have on this rock. Some people enjoy the store, who am I to say they shouldn't, that is what I like about having choices. For me it is also a 30minute drive to the store.

Not sure how you spend that much time (one hour?) in a grocery store, I go on Sat am and am in and out in less than 15 min. I never go on a weekday.

Not sure how you spend that much time (one hour?) in a grocery store, I go on Sat am and am in and out in less than 15 min. I never go on a weekday.

I must be stupid or unable to shop with your level of expertise then, please teach me how you have mastered the art? Did you have something more insightful than just saying you are better than others? Maybe some tips and tricks. How many are you shopping for and about what is your bill at the end?

Gets the business of people who normally might not travel so far for groceries. Also, probably moves more near-expiration items than people who visit the store.

Nah. Sometimes processing takes a day or two, but once it's shipped it usually arrives in two days or less, for me at least.

He's doing it wrong. Amazon, Jet and Chewy. Certain foods and gas you still have to get off your ass and leave the house for.

Anybody that says they can't cook is just plain lazy. It's not rocket surgery, if you can read, brush your teeth and turn on a light switch, you can cook.

Did someone say sturgeon?

DLz9HrcUMAAfenu.jpeg

Anybody that says they can't cook is just plain lazy. It's not rocket science, if you can read, brush your teeth and turn on a light switch, you can cook.

FTFY.

I didn't cook, but that changed reeeealy quickly when i started eating my wife's cookings.

Back