• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Amazon on Strike starting Black Friday

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
26,434
Amazon workers in more than 20 countries, including the U.S., plan to strike during the busy pre-Christmas shopping days between Black Friday and Cyber Monday to "make Amazon pay," strike organizers said Thursday.

The "days of resistance" aim to "hold Amazon accountable for [labor] abuses, environmental degradation and threats to democracy," according to organizers UNI Global Union and Progressive International.

"No matter how much they spend to fight us, corporations like Amazon cannot break the power of workers standing together," UNI Global Union’s General Secretary Christy Hoffman said in a statement shared with FOX Business. "In Germany, ver.di has led the charge for over a decade, demanding collective bargaining rights — a fight that resonates across the globe. From India to the United States, the U.K. to Canada, workers are rising against exploitation and corporate intimidation. ‘Make Amazon Pay Day’ is a powerful testament to our unity and momentum. No company — no matter how wealthy — can silence the cause of workers demanding justice."


https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/...lack-friday-cyber-monday-several-countries-us


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/news/content/ar-AA1uW5ms?ocid=sapphireappshare

You guys are going to have to shop Best Buy for PC parts or Microcenter.

Screenshot_20241129-081337.png
 
Last edited:
I got everything i needed ready. So i'm good. I hope some things change like no more pissing in bottles.
 
If anyone has not worked at a large retailer. The huge influx of seasonal hires and people willing to desperately work overtime because it's there only way to get a little extra gives the supervisors and managers the opportunity to treat you like shit for not having the same motivation of fresh faces trying to get a full time job. You already went through it and have seen many do it so you're not going the extra miles just so the supervisor can get a cash bonus while you get a keychain leftover from a corporate event.
 
I don't mind the democratic process, Amazon isn't shipping insulin or perishable organs for transplant. Now, if we become France where every time someone gets a bad review they shut down the national infrastructure to make a point, then I get pissed, but this...ain't that.
 
I rarely buy from Amazon anymore anyway. Their free prime 2 day shipping is now often 5 day shipping for some reason so I only buy from them on harder to find items. Between Walmart, Lowes. Best Buy and Walgreens I can usually find anything I need lol....

That said, I hope Amazon fires everybody that strikes. It's not like they're skilled labor and will be hard to replace. When people like this strike, all it does is almost guarantee their jobs will be done by robots in the not to distant future.
 
Amazon seems to be hiring a lot of non-English speaking temp workers around my area because they cannot read the building numbers all of a sudden as of the last 2 weeks where we have now had issues with 4 orders being delivered to neighbors or just missing but marked delivered.

I never order Grubhub, but one guy was looking around when I was outside with the dog. I asked him which building number he was looking for and he just said "no speak English" and showed me his phone which had the address on it and I pointed him where to go.

Seeing a lot more of that recently, and so Amazon will just fill the void with migrants. And I'll finally probably cancel my Prime. Why should a service that went up in price but is degrading in quality get my money anymore.
 
Amazon seems to be hiring a lot of non-English speaking temp workers around my area because they cannot read the building numbers all of a sudden as of the last 2 weeks where we have now had issues with 4 orders being delivered to neighbors or just missing but marked delivered.

I never order Grubhub, but one guy was looking around when I was outside with the dog. I asked him which building number he was looking for and he just said "no speak English" and showed me his phone which had the address on it and I pointed him where to go.

Seeing a lot more of that recently, and so Amazon will just fill the void with migrants. And I'll finally probably cancel my Prime. Why should a service that went up in price but is degrading in quality get my money anymore.
They did this in the plague in Little Rock with ~mexicans (by arkansas standards ymmv) in leased Chrylser minivans without any markings and only hi-viz vests with no id or English. I had to stop ordering for a while because the dogs were getting a complex about delivery drivers due to this crap. I don't hire people that can't speak English at least well enough for me to understand a good majority of their speech so that there are fewer misunderstandings like when I'm in my garage with my almost 400lbs of german shepherds and my wife's doberman doing something when these goons show up with a package and aren't speaking English and approach at a fast walk and expect ______? To me this is more likely to be a suicide bomber than anything else ffs.
 
I haven't ordered anything from Amazon (yet), but if I did as a consumer I'm not going to bat an eye at getting it a day or two later than normal. If they're only striking between BF and CM, it's more to send a message, but one that largely will be ignored I think.

I recall as a teacher the union decided to have a 1 day strike for similar things, so what the dean of the school did was just cancel classes for that day, now I was planning on working that day anyways, but the dean then turned around and docked everyone a days worth of pay because there was one day less instruction and that's when I did get pissed off. That said, Amazon hires seasons workers, they have gig workers (note: these are contractors from a "different" company), I doubt this will do much of anything to disrupt Amazon.
 
"environmental degradation and threats to democracy" ?

just throwing out buzz words to get NPCs into outrage mode?
There's at least some validity to the "environmental degradation" part as it relates to a worker strike.

Amazon ships a massive amount of goods, and in spite of what it's done there's still a lot of unnecessary transportation emissions and wasteful packaging (how many times have you received an Amazon order in a box much larger than the actual goods?). That and Amazon has been half-hearted about its environmental goals at times. Electric Rivian delivery vans are fine; relying on offsets to 'cheat' on emissions and renewable energy goals, not so much.

If I were an Amazon worker, I wouldn't want to be doing things I knew were hurting the environment and could be avoided if the company rolled even a small slice of its profits into this area.
 
Should be buying PC parts from those specialized retailers anyways!

Never giving my credit card number to some small fly-by-night business I don't know and trust.

When it comes to online business I only ever use large recognized entities.
 
There's at least some validity to the "environmental degradation" part as it relates to a worker strike.

Amazon ships a massive amount of goods, and in spite of what it's done there's still a lot of unnecessary transportation emissions and wasteful packaging (how many times have you received an Amazon order in a box much larger than the actual goods?). That and Amazon has been half-hearted about its environmental goals at times. Electric Rivian delivery vans are fine; relying on offsets to 'cheat' on emissions and renewable energy goals, not so much.

If I were an Amazon worker, I wouldn't want to be doing things I knew were hurting the environment and could be avoided if the company rolled even a small slice of its profits into this area.
I think you're out of touch with the average Amazon worker just like the union global secretary
 
I think you're out of touch with the average Amazon worker just like the union global secretary

In the U.S. you are probably correct. Union workforces largely fall into either the climate denial category or the too desperate and poor (or selfish) to care category.

Worldwide (after all this is an international strike) not quite as much.
 
I think you're out of touch with the average Amazon worker just like the union global secretary
Oh, I know working conditions and pay are by far the most important issues for workers... but I wouldn't say the environment is completely out of the picture.
 
Very rare for the last few years, for me. Most of the stuff I get comes in an envelope.
Been years for me too. What I heard years ago was that changing package sizes screwed up their pre-planned box Tetris. As a result only supervisors could approve a larger package; and even they could only update size information for future shipments but not use a smaller box.
 
Never giving my credit card number to some small fly-by-night business I don't know and trust.

When it comes to online business I only ever use large recognized entities.

Don't have any evidence to back this up, but generally when credit card/passwords/other info is compromised isn't it to due a large scale hack at the company? Generally the bigger stores are targeted. PayPal is what I use for most smaller stores, though I know you may have reasons for not using them.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, I know working conditions and pay are by far the most important issues for workers... but I wouldn't say the environment is completely out of the picture.

For environmental issues I highly doubt people going to the store themselves is better for the environment than using Amazon. It for sure isn't in America.

An electric van delivering packages to hundreds of homes on one trip planned for maximum efficiency compared to every single person needing to make round trips. It's not even close.
Excessive packing is massively exaggerated. I haven't seen that in years. Many items don't even have extra packaging compared to what you would pick up at the store. I don't see the rest of the packaging making up for the massive amounts of driving. Buying at a store isn't packaging free either, you have bags and receipts.
 
"Threats to democracy"? I can't help but wonder how many of them voted in a primary that was overruled by committee. There's some irony for you. Best of luck to them though, I have no doubt Amazon is a shitty company to work for. I just don't get the obsession with democracy. It's mob rule demagoguery, as Socrates pointed out. Didn't work out well for Athens and that's why the founders of the United States created a constitutional republic.
 
There's at least some validity to the "environmental degradation" part as it relates to a worker strike.

Amazon ships a massive amount of goods, and in spite of what it's done there's still a lot of unnecessary transportation emissions and wasteful packaging (how many times have you received an Amazon order in a box much larger than the actual goods?). That and Amazon has been half-hearted about its environmental goals at times. Electric Rivian delivery vans are fine; relying on offsets to 'cheat' on emissions and renewable energy goals, not so much.

If I were an Amazon worker, I wouldn't want to be doing things I knew were hurting the environment and could be avoided if the company rolled even a small slice of its profits into this area.
I used to get enormous bubble mailers for tiny items, electronics in manufacturer packaging with a label slapped on the box, and other items barely packed. I don't know if they still do but I only order select items, and rarely, from Amazon now.

"Threats to democracy"? I can't help but wonder how many of them voted in a primary that was overruled by committee. There's some irony for you. Best of luck to them though, I have no doubt Amazon is a shitty company to work for. I just don't get the obsession with democracy. It's mob rule demagoguery, as Socrates pointed out. Didn't work out well for Athens and that's why the founders of the United States created a constitutional republic.
The whole "the democracy oh noz!!!111111" thing gets some people riled up for some reason or another that I can't fathom.
 
This whole concept is a laugh. Strike on the weekend? Lol. Okay. Way to stick it to everyone!
I've pretty much stopped shopping at amazon whenever possible anyway. Mostly use it to buy used books here and there.
I only use it to abuse their free shipping on tiny items as much as possible. Wife makes me pay for Prime so...
 
So when to family's house yesterday and saw no fewer than 3 Amazon delivery vans in various neighborhoods... guess the strike isnt everywhere?
 
Fair Point but this is where I turn to those initiating the strike to show us their real intentions......do you block everything because you're a brain-dead zelot or do you take the respectful move and say "We aren't delivering your discounted xmas light sets, but if you're ordering medications rest assured those are still going to arrive on time". Hearts and Minds and so forth......hey I can dream.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got everything i needed ready. So i'm good. I hope some things change like no more pissing in bottles.
The bottle thing has been standard truck driver practice for probably 80+ years. I get that one shocks people, you don't want to know how common that is. lol
 
I think its more you are not going to find English speaking Americans blacks whites that are going to work how they want you to work and die.
I was talking about this quote
"Amazon seems to be hiring a lot of non-English speaking temp workers around my area because they cannot read the building numbers all of a sudden as of the last 2 weeks where we have now had issues with 4 orders being delivered to neighbors or just missing but marked delivered."

Just because you can't read English you still can read the numbers on a building. 1-9 is the same in every language.
 
I have noticed their actual shipping dates are getting later than indicated. Their service does seem to be degrading with packages just dumped on the front lawn vice doorstep. Also, on toll roads where they use to do the speed limit, sometimes 10 to 20 trucks in a row, lol -> now many are speed demons and will cut you off at times. Is it a failing business model? Bringing one package, many miles at times, to one residence vice the customer going to the store in a more economical vehicle, I would think will add up in the long run. Plus that fleet is aging and will need more maintenance and replacement as time goes on. For them it is probably a race between robots, automation and workers, with robots and automation that may not work out as well as expected.
 
I was talking about this quote
"Amazon seems to be hiring a lot of non-English speaking temp workers around my area because they cannot read the building numbers all of a sudden as of the last 2 weeks where we have now had issues with 4 orders being delivered to neighbors or just missing but marked delivered."

Just because you can't read English you still can read the numbers on a building. 1-9 is the same in every language.
You sure about that?

० १ २ ३ ४ ५ ६ ७ ८ ९ १०
शून्य एक दो तीन चार पाँच छः सात आठ नौ दस
一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十

That is how about 2 billion people in the world write 1-10. Think that includes the zero in Hindi.

For what its worth I have to dispute a shipment form yesterday that obviously went somewhere else. I was home all day, package was apparently handed to resident.
 
I have noticed their actual shipping dates are getting later than indicated. Their service does seem to be degrading with packages just dumped on the front lawn vice doorstep. Also, on toll roads where they use to do the speed limit, sometimes 10 to 20 trucks in a row, lol -> now many are speed demons and will cut you off at times. Is it a failing business model? Bringing one package, many miles at times, to one residence vice the customer going to the store in a more economical vehicle, I would think will add up in the long run. Plus that fleet is aging and will need more maintenance and replacement as time goes on. For them it is probably a race between robots, automation and workers, with robots and automation that may not work out as well as expected.
Apartment complexes or similar may be something they concentrate on more; my place has a package room that usually has dozens of packages in it, mostly Amazon, on any given day. Also, they may start pushing Amazon lockers more.
 
Almost sure UPS and Fed Ex will enjoy the extra Christmas bonus to be made without Amazon at every street corner, Jeff Bozo will send a hit team to your House messing with his Super Yacht money!

Edit, I forgot to add that me buying a beauty salon sink trim out kit off Amazon for my sister about a week ago, I thought it was odd that my USPS delivered that big box for free as to be bigger than my rural area mailbox, and I guess why it got here on time.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top