Amazon Kindle Tablet "Confirmed"

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
It’s called simply the “Amazon Kindle”. But it’s not like any Kindle you’ve seen before. It displays content in full color. It has a 7-inch capacitive touch screen. And it runs Android.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/

$250...I think that's a pretty good price point. And if they get it out into the market within the next few months, it can generate a bit of buzz for the holiday season, too.

7" is too small, needs to be 8" or larger. :D

Well, it's official. $199 for dualcore and android. I'll probably pick one up once it's rooted, seems like it could be fun and also be a decent upgrade to my Nook Color (which is showing it's age despite not quite being a year old).

Per-ordered. Looks great and I love my current Kindle2.

Amazon page with full specs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2

I might be interested after rooting, but with only 8GB and no card slot, it seems limited. Likely best left to being a cloud based media tablet. I think Amazon chose specs wisely. Most will likely not be rooted.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I grabbed one (for the price I couldn't resist and I may cancel before it shipped).

Any decent reviews showing up on the net today?

Really disappointed with the new kindle offerings. (ebook e-ink based readers that is). The Fire is ok but I don't want a tablet - I want something that spits out what looks like a printed page - which only an e-ink based screen is capable of doing. I did own a Sony PRS505 for a while, and while it was really good, the screen was just too damn small - drove me crazy looking at/reading one or two paragraphs per page turn.

All the new Kindles announced are just re-hashes of existing tech. What I really want doesn't seem to exist yet. Simply an ereader with at least an 8" screen that can fully replicate the size and form factor of a printed paperback page, with a minimum resolution of at least 800x1200 (more would be better!)

The Kindle DX comes close - but it is a tad too big and really sucks in that it doesn't support external memory cards, doesn't really have any decent format support (just PDF and mobi/prc), and has no font size adjustment when viewing PDFs.

The iRiver Story HD that came out a few months back came awfully close... screen resolution is great (better than the comparable Kindle has), but still just too damn small at 6". Why is everyone in love with 5" and 6" ereaders?

I simply want an 8" ereader that supports a bunch of ebook formats, has a good e-ink based screen (800x1200), has external memory card support and can display the equivalent of a full page of text from a paperback. Why won't anyone make such a reader?

Last edited:
The iRiver Story HD that came out a few months back came awfully close... screen resolution is great (better than the comparable Kindle has), but still just too damn small at 6". Why is everyone in love with 5" and 6" ereaders?

For pure text (ie novels) 5" or 6" is about ideal as far as I am concerned. Nice for one handed operation, easily fits in a pocket. I have read novels on my Palm IIIx.

Now if you want something for viewing full page PDFs with drawings/tables etc...

I would like an 11"+ screen.

For pure text (ie novels) 5" or 6" is about ideal as far as I am concerned. Nice for one handed operation, easily fits in a pocket. I have read novels on my Palm IIIx.

Now if you want something for viewing full page PDFs with drawings/tables etc...

I would like an 11"+ screen.

I don't want a full page as in a sheet of paper (8.5" X 11"), I want a full page of text as found in a paperback book. (Roughly 7-8" diagonal). All the 5 or 6" ereaders can't fit that on a screen (at least not in using a legible font the same size as those found in a paperback) and they end up chunking up the pages into just a few measily short sentences per screen. I feel like I'm flipping 2-3 screens just to read the equivalent of a page in a paperback. That's what drives me nuts. I'd be willing to even go a bit larger - but I want open standard formats supported as well as memory card support and the Kindle DX is pretty much the only option out there at the larger form factor of e-ink which has neither. (At least under the $400 price point.)

they end up chunking up the pages into just a few measily short sentences per screen.

That is a huge exaggeration. I had no issue reading on a tiny 3" 160x160 resolution screen on a Palm III. 5" or 6" with 800x600+ is gravy.

It isn't like it takes a lot of effort to push a button to get more text.

You asked why people like 5" or 6" readers. That is why. It is all you need for pure text. Any more is just more weight, more expense, less portability, for little benefit (for most people).

That is a huge exaggeration. I had no issue reading on a tiny 3" 160x160 resolution screen on a Palm III. 5" or 6" with 800x600+ is gravy.

It isn't like it takes a lot of effort to push a button to get more text.

You asked why people like 5" or 6" readers. That is why. It is all you need for pure text. Any more is just more weight, more expense, less portability, for little benefit (for most people).

Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration to get my point across. Make that a measly 2-3 short paragraphs per screen. I've been reading books/novels for 35+ yrs. I'm an avid reader - go through at least a book a week. I'm used to being able to absorb a certain amount of content before having to "turn a page" I just can't get used to the fact that I have to refresh almost twice as often to get a "real" page's worth of content on a 5" or 6" reader. I don't mind pressing a button - it's just that I'm used to that brief mental break a page turn involves after absorbing so much content, and that gets totally disrupted for me with the smaller screen ereaders. Hard to describe - closest analogy would be like listening to a song at the wrong tempo or something.

I guess it doesn't bother others - just drive me nuts I guess. :)

Well, finally broke down and bought a Kindle DX graphite this morning. Was hoping the recent Amazon announcements would have something I was interested in, but since they didn't combined with the fact that the DX is on sale at Staples starting today for just $279 (best price I've ever seen them sold for), I decided to go for broke. It's a tad larger a form factor than I really wanted (would have preferred an 8" screen) but it'll easy fit an entire paperback page on the screen at once. Going to have to live with no external memory card support and I guess Calibre will ease the lack of format support by translating things for me.

Well, finally broke down and bought a Kindle DX graphite this morning. Was hoping the recent Amazon announcements would have something I was interested in, but since they didn't combined with the fact that the DX is on sale at Staples starting today for just $279 (best price I've ever seen them sold for), I decided to go for broke. It's a tad larger a form factor than I really wanted (would have preferred an 8" screen) but it'll easy fit an entire paperback page on the screen at once. Going to have to live with no external memory card support and I guess Calibre will ease the lack of format support by translating things for me.

That's one solution. Not everyone will find the perfect device for them.

Do you have in hand now? What do you think?

That's one solution. Not everyone will find the perfect device for them.

Do you have in hand now? What do you think?

Love it so far - I do most of my reading at home (typically 30 min to an hour right before going to sleep). The e-ink screen is FAR, FAR superior to anything produced by a backlit LCD screen. Absolutely zero eye strain - pretty much identical to looking at a printed page from a book, only better as the font size can be adjusted on the fly. (As a software engineer, I stare at a computer screen pretty much all day - when I read, the last thing I want to look at is another LCD, hence using a tablet is a non-starter for me.)

I wouldn't recommend the Kindle DX to someone who wants high portability (on the go reading) - the smaller Kindles/e-readers out there are much better suited for this. But when I am traveling or on the go, I would much rather listen to an audio book than use a small e-reader anyway. For what I wanted an e-reader for (use at home - bedside reading and as a repository for reference books) it is ideal. I only have a couple of nits: 1) Wish it didn't have a keyboard. (I don't need one for reading and the one it comes with pretty much sucks as it is way too small to be all that practical... They should have made it on screen or supported an external keyboard of some sort for those that really need/want one.) 2) Wish it supported multiple typefaces without having to hack it. (The DX only comes with one, but it is a pretty good one though.)

All in all I am very happy with the purchase. It's a really slick device if you want something that excels at displaying reading material. It is NOT a multipurpose tablet - but it does one thing exceedingly well - much better than a tablet, and that's display text as if you were reading it from a book.

can this import PDF file to read? I need a cheap 1 that's in color.

Yes, it can display PDF's to read. But the Kindle DX does not do color. It uses an e-ink screen that does 16 shades of gray. (No color). The plus here is that the contrast and resolution of displayed text/material is phenomenal. (Has to be seen to really be appreciated.)

I can go w/ the Kindle Fire. On their web site, they only say you can email doc. to the Kindle. But at the bottom of the spec., it says there is a USB port.

But I don't want to do any pay or free internet connection. I just want a portable book reading pad. Even a tablet on a laptop is good enough. However, the Kindle Fire seems cheaper.

All I care, is be able to import a no. of PDF file (in color) to some model of Kindle and read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-C...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321696362&pf_rd_i=507846

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can go w/ the Kindle Fire. On their web site, they only say you can email doc. to the Kindle. But at the bottom of the spec., it says there is a USB port.

Kindle makes it easy to take your documents with you. You can e-mail documents - including Word, PDF and more - directly to your Kindle so you that you can read them anytime, anywhere.

It'll be the same as a kindle reader. Photos, docs, pdfs, etc.

but I don't want to pay for an internet service to Amazon. For that matter, I don't even want any internet service from the Kindle. All I care is a PDF color book reader, the cheapest i can find, I don't care if it's Amazon, Sony, or Apple or whoever.

I heard at ebay, they have some "clone" ver. of Apple iPAD, I am hoping there is some clone/OEM ver. of Kindle fire

1 question that the amazon spec. didn't state:

can you read PDF in landscape or portrait format?

Last edited:
What the heck are you talking about?

You just email yourself: [email protected] and the documents will appear in the email client or something. It's free.

Kindle connects to your own internet via wifi or to pc to download content.

I have to be careful, as service from amazon to me thru out the years has been very poor

however, who's going to stop amazon from charging you a monthly admin. fee a year from now?

Last edited:
Tempted.it seems smaller than nook color,so could possibly fit existing case... gonna take a better look later.

I really just need a e-book color reader. Is there any of these that can boot up instantly, that once I turn on, I can use it instantly, like a calculator?

Back