Amazon Introduces "Amazon Key" In Home Delivery

Wife orders something on Amazon.

Doesn't tell me about it.

Chilling on the couch when some asshoe randomly opens my locked front door.

3 weeks filling out the police reports and dealing with all that mess.
I'm pretty sure they would knock first.

Strawman. It isn't foolproof and there probably will be misuse cases but it's quite probable that they'll be incredibly rare for the reasons I've already outlined. And regardless, the "omg they're gonna case your house" is just a retarded argument. UPS only has to open the door a foot to slide a 12" package into my house. They won't see shit. Whereas if I'm home and answer the door I pretty much open it all the way and they could see all the priceless family heirlooms I have arranged in the foyer. If they've got employees that stand in the wide open doorway for 5 minutes peering around like they're trying to evaluate a locker on storage wars I'm pretty sure those people are gonna get fired pretty rapidly.

incredibly rare is not an acceptable risk to me.. they can leave the package on my front porch or side porch

Seems like a natural progression to me. They already listen, see, and monitor everything thru our tech. Letting them physically come in thru the front door is the obvious next step-Not!

Do people really need this? No time to go shopping and put food in your own fridge, but somehow have plenty of time to binge Netflix for 30 hours. ? :meh:

The answer to your question would depend on who you ask since - people are different.

So you're saying that UPS and Fedex employ people without knowing their name or address?

I'm starting to think you have serious cogitation problems.

Yes, there are other criminals that are not the delivery guy. There could be a rapist hiding in the bushes outside your house right now. But that's not what we're talking about, are we?
I'm beginning to think you are the one with cognition problems because you still continue to over look what I write every single time and complete ignore the fact that we aren't just talking about 1 scenario. Even though I have told you about 4 time already its not just about the 1 delivery person its about the potential for abuse across the board.

1) The recording device is not going to stop dishonest people. Just like a lock on a glass door. if a guy wants to rob you he will Im just not handing him the key to do so.
2) The delivery guy can be attacked as he is delivering the package
3) Yes we are talking about ALL CASE SCENARIOS (there could be a rapist / terrorist / FBI agent / Russian mafia) what cares who it might be.
4) The delivery guy could forget to tap the button to secure your house and then its not an unlocked door.
5) You have a IoT device that is now able to be hacked by anyone on the internet (lets face it today these devices no matter what people say are not 100% secure). Its a cloud cam and a " smart lock" vulnerable to attack and will have to be patched when flaws are found.

Do you have a family? Wife and Kids? or do you really just not think about their safety?

Regardless of your personal opinions these are all things to be considered. Unless there is a clause that says in Amazon's policy that states they will be liable for ALL damages in the case of a theft and not just the stole package they delivered, I'm not going to give them the opportunity to screw up the security of my house.

You are a fool to not consider any other this items as listed above.

I guess the video camera makes it a lot easier on the conscious but still... I've NEVER had a package stolen in all my years. Then again I've never really lived in high traffic areas. So wouldn't really be a concern for me.

I guess the video camera makes it a lot easier on the conscious but still... I've NEVER had a package stolen in all my years. Then again I've never really lived in high traffic areas. So wouldn't really be a concern for me.

As i tossed my launch day ps4 inside from amazon, i remember thinking how much money one could make snatching them... Think of how many were just laying around on front porches. Thieves are pretty stupid, they just grab random stuff so it's all chance. If they were smart they would probably have jobs.

Not just "No" . but a big fuck No to you Amazon..

Amazing at the level of intrusion among people that the oblivious-minded will allow.....

This is so stupid.....why woud amazon believe this is a good idea?? I can't believe they think that anybody would be stupid enough that because they are using a 'cloud camera' it would evoke a sense of safety enough so that they would be ok with letting a stranger come in to their home without anybody there. Seriously, what's to stop that person from doing anything wrong in the house?? People do stupid crimes on camera all the time, and they know they are on camera.....this is in no way a deterrence...

You mean Amazon lockers? They're pretty good, but do have limitations.
Oh, I didn't know what exists in America. Well alright then. We have something like this in my town but there are only three of them, and you are unable to ship stuff if they're full because someone is slacking with picking his things up.
I'm actually in the UK, not the States :)

But yeah, Lockers are limited both by number (my nearest location has maybe 25 lockers) and also locker size - the largest lockers are less than two feet on a side, which means that a decent number of items don't fit. Computer keyboards are too big, for example...

Camera systems don't prevent theft. Not letting rando people into your home prevents thefts.

Cameras only provide a marginal chance you might be able to track any "invader" down.

Given that everything is recorded, and some people already have camera systems that cover more areas than the Amazon cam does, it could work for SOME people. Obviously, it's not without an element of risk. This is something you have to opt-in on, and I don't see a problem with that.

My dogs would have a huge problem with an uninvited guest making their way through my front door when I am not home.

Your dogs? No, the one having the problem would be the human being chewed up... the dogs would simply have some fun.

The mental gymnastics some of you go through is amazing...

The guy has a set amount of minutes the door is unlocked, hes 100% on camera and knows it, and every single thing about him is on file at his job.

The guy will knock, announce who he is, crack open your door and set the package down and leave. Thats it.

My dogs would have a huge problem with an uninvited guest making their way through my front door when I am not home.
There is nothing uninvited about it. You would have a huge problem in court if your dogs did anything.

The mental gymnastics some of you go through is amazing...

The guy has a set amount of minutes the door is unlocked, hes 100% on camera and knows it, and every single thing about him is on file at his job.

The guy will knock, announce who he is, crack open your door and set the package down and leave. Thats it.

You can say that all you want, but you're not changing my (or any other security-minded individual's) mind here. There is always a chance that what you describe doesn't happen, or that some negative byproduct action occurs later. Sorry, but no. They can keep this service. You're free to use it though, so go right ahead.

You can say that all you want, but you're not changing my (or any other security-minded individual's) mind here. There is always a chance that what you describe doesn't happen, or that some negative byproduct action occurs later. Sorry, but no. They can keep this service. You're free to use it though, so go right ahead.
Dont ever go outside, there is a chance a meteor could hit you.

This service is fucking madness.
No way in hell I would ever use it.

If I wanted stuff that bad my postal service offers package boxes that they and I have a key to. thats way more safe than this shit

Dont ever go outside, there is a chance a meteor could hit you.

Humans do stupid shit to each other every few minutes. That's not even REMOTELY the same thing. I'm actually a risk taker in a lot of ways. However, not when the security of my home, wife and kids are concerned. If you can't tell the difference, then you're just not bright enough to be having this conversation.

Well, I split my time between two coasts. I live in Alaska and I live in Maryland. If I have something shipped to my house in Maryland, than it's nice to know that I can have it placed into the house. Especially if it's a big item/heavy item. As, it's tricky to get FedEx, UPS, or USPS to help you carry in an item. This service allows it to happen. I don't really look at it as a pure "come into my home" as I do an assured assistance delivery. If I order gym equipment, it's hard to ask someone to put that in the house.

I also don't fear my neighbor, though I understand the apprehension. Still, I'm consenting this to happen and that's not the same as a "complete stranger" coming into my home. And, given my area, getting a cam setup for my parameter isn't a bad idea and something I was already looking into.

Well, I split my time between two coasts. I live in Alaska and I live in Maryland. If I have something shipped to my house in Maryland, than it's nice to know that I can have it placed into the house. Especially if it's a big item/heavy item. As, it's tricky to get FedEx, UPS, or USPS to help you carry in an item. This service allows it to happen. I don't really look at it as a pure "come into my home" as I do an assured assistance delivery. If I order gym equipment, it's hard to ask someone to put that in the house.

I also don't fear my neighbor, though I understand the apprehension. Still, I'm consenting this to happen and that's not the same as a "complete stranger" coming into my home. And, given my area, getting a cam setup for my parameter isn't a bad idea and something I was already looking into.

In your case, I actually think it makes sense to some degree. If you're ok with the small potential risks, I think it makes sense to mitigate the risk of stolen items outside your other house. I can see where this would work. I can also see potential for issues. In my case, my worry about packages outside my house is overshadowed by my worry for my home/family safety. Not that I even see a gigantic risk, just one that doesn't make sense in my case.

Back