Alldocube X Neo

sunarowicz

n00b
More on flashing (or should I rather say installing?) the TWRP. I searched for some info and have found the recommended way of doing that on A/B devices, see:
https://androidmore.com/install-twrp-on-android/
https://www.droidwin.com/flash-files-a-b-partition-devices/

They both use the same way:
1. Boot to TWRP image using the fastboot boot twrp.img command.
2. Install the TWRP.zip from booted image.

Maybe our TWRP issues are not caused by the older TWRP version (please note that both instructions use the 3.3.1 version for A/B device), but the way we are flashing the twrp.img directly into both slots from fastboot. Maybe TWRP configures itself for the A/B environment when installed (not flashed) from the booted TWRP image in order to work properly. The question is where we get the right twrp.zip for NeoX?

CrimsonKnight13

Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress
More on flashing (or should I rather say installing?) the TWRP. I searched for some info and have found the recommended way of doing that on A/B devices, see:
https://androidmore.com/install-twrp-on-android/
https://www.droidwin.com/flash-files-a-b-partition-devices/

They both use the same way:
1. Boot to TWRP image using the fastboot boot twrp.img command.
2. Install the TWRP.zip from booted image.

Maybe our TWRP issues are not caused by the older TWRP version (please note that both instructions use the 3.3.1 version for A/B device), but the way we are flashing the twrp.img directly into both slots from fastboot. Maybe TWRP configures itself for the A/B environment when installed (not flashed) from the booted TWRP image in order to work properly. The question is where we get the right twrp.zip for NeoX?
Truly, I've not had issues but it seems like you're overthinking it. TWRP was installed to the new boot.img within TWRP. With the new version, it can be done just the same. I'll have to update my own & see where it goes.

kyen

n00b
Truly, I've not had issues but it seems like you're overthinking it. TWRP was installed to the new boot.img within TWRP. With the new version, it can be done just the same. I'll have to update my own & see where it goes.
HI,

So do you have 5ghz wigi on your custom rom or i misunderstand :) ?

I tried some rom with no success to have 5ghz wifi:
- losq-v224-201017-arm64-bvN
- losq-v224-201017-arm64-bgN
- RR: system-190406-arm64-ab-vanilla-nosu
- lineage-17.1-20201114-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS

I had 5ghz wifi 1 time on lineage-17.1-20201114-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS after flashing chinese rom to unlock the bootloader, but after trying some rom, i do not have 5ghz wifi on lineage-17.1 anymore

sunarowicz

n00b
I had 5ghz wifi 1 time on lineage-17.1-20201114-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS after flashing chinese rom to unlock the bootloader, but after trying some rom, i do not have 5ghz wifi on lineage-17.1 anymore
What do you mean by not having 5GHz WiFi? You do not see and/or cannot connect to any 5GHz network? Or you can connect, but the WiFi performance is bad? I have found two problems with 5GHz according to my experience so far:
NeoX doesn't work with each 5GHz channel to me. This should depend on your location (local regulations) and your router capabilities. In my case (based on my location) NeoX reports these 5GHz frequencies it can operate with in the log:
Code:
5Ghz non-DFS frequencies: 5180 5200 5220 5240
5Ghz DFS frequencies: 5260 5280 5300 5320 5500 5520 5540 5560 5580 5600 5620 5640 5660 5680 5700
Despite this I cannot connect to all these freqs/channels. I guess it is because of my router (Linksys running OpenWrt and suffering from the closed source WiFi driver). So at the end I can connect to these 5GHz channels only: 56, 60, 64, 100, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124 and 128. The thing is you should find the right channel that works for you.
When finally connected to 5GHz WiFi, I still suffer from the poor performance in terms of transfer rates and signal sensitivity. Both these are OK on stock (and Chinese) ROMs. Even on custom LOS 16.0 too. But not on any (Android 10 based) GSI ROM I have tested. It seems there is no solution for this yet. Me and taro4 (and others for sure) have been trying to resolve this, but without any success yet.

sunarowicz

n00b
My point was that it's (maybe) not good idea to flash the same (single) TWRP patched boot.img into both slots. I mean doing so we are flashing the boot.img coming from slot A to slot B too or the boot.img coming from slot B to slot A too (depends on what boot.img from these two you provide in the guide). Maybe these both images are not (bitwise) identical. I can imagine to myself that during installing the TWRP into both slots (in the right way you follow), one is configured to work well in slot A and the other to work well in slot B. It can maybe work well in the other slot for most purpose, but not for all. But my guess only.

Last edited:

CrimsonKnight13

My point was that it's (maybe) not good idea to flash the same (single) TWRP patched boot.img into both slots. I mean doing so we are flashing the boot.img coming from slot A to slot B too or the boot.img coming from slot B to slot A too (depends on what boot.img from these two you provide in the guide). Maybe these both images are not (bitwise) identical. I can imagine to myself that during installing the TWRP into both slots (in the right way you follow), one is configured to work well in slot A and the other to work well in slot B. It can maybe work well in the other slot for most purpose, but not for all. But my guess only.
With Treble, the boot images are identical for quick failover during a bad boot.

kyen

n00b
What do you mean by not having 5GHz WiFi? You do not see and/or cannot connect to any 5GHz network? Or you can connect, but the WiFi performance is bad? I have found two problems with 5GHz according to my experience so far:
NeoX doesn't work with each 5GHz channel to me. This should depend on your location (local regulations) and your router capabilities. In my case (based on my location) NeoX reports these 5GHz frequencies it can operate with in the log:
Code:
5Ghz non-DFS frequencies: 5180 5200 5220 5240
5Ghz DFS frequencies: 5260 5280 5300 5320 5500 5520 5540 5560 5580 5600 5620 5640 5660 5680 5700
Despite this I cannot connect to all these freqs/channels. I guess it is because of my router (Linksys running OpenWrt and suffering from the closed source WiFi driver). So at the end I can connect to these 5GHz channels only: 56, 60, 64, 100, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124 and 128. The thing is you should find the right channel that works for you.
When finally connected to 5GHz WiFi, I still suffer from the poor performance in terms of transfer rates and signal sensitivity. Both these are OK on stock (and Chinese) ROMs. Even on custom LOS 16.0 too. But not on any (Android 10 based) GSI ROM I have tested. It seems there is no solution for this yet. Me and taro4 (and others for sure) have been trying to resolve this, but without any success yet.
I mean I cannot see AND connect to any 5ghz wifi with a custom room.

I try Havoc in this moment, Havoc-OS-v3.1-20200111-ARM64AB-GSI.img... and I can connect to 5ghz wifi now... Don't know it's because the rom Havoc or maybe my manipulations to passing from a rom to others...

sunarowicz

n00b
With Treble, the boot images are identical for quick failover during a bad boot.
Hmm, I wonder how it knows which system partition to boot up, whether system_a or system_b, if both boot images are identical. It has to contain some logic which decides based on current active boot slot (A or B) then.

sunarowicz

n00b
I try Havoc in this moment, Havoc-OS-v3.1-20200111-ARM64AB-GSI.img... and I can connect to 5ghz wifi now... Don't know it's because the rom Havoc or maybe my manipulations to passing from a rom to others...
How compares the 5GHz WiFi performance in Havoc to 5GHz performance of other devices in your 5GHz network? I mean how compares the transfer rates and signal sensitivity? I just installed Havoc-OS-v3.8-20200821-Official-arm64-ab.img into one slot and can confirm that 5GHz WiFi works. But performs as badly as in other GSIs I tried...

But thank you for pointing at other nice GSI ROM working with NeoX!

CrimsonKnight13

sunarowicz

n00b
I tried to change data partition filesystem to f2fs in TWRP 3.3.1. The change command went well without any error. But right afterwards (still in TWRP) errors on data cannot be mounted has appeared. After restarting to recovery again, data is declared to be formatted to ext4. Any idea why changing data to f2fs doesn't work?