Alldocube X Neo

Horta

n00b
Thanks!

I have installed and have a working TWRP (for the Chinese 201028 firmware) as i followed the guide.

Now i´m just missing the GSI ROM installation.

Next step is just flashing the "system_a" and "system_b" partitions, right? This can be done from the TWRP as well, i suppose, or needs to be done from the bootloader with "fastboot flash system_a ROMFILENAME.img"?

Last edited:

bazito

n00b
Hi, I was succes to unlock the bootloader.
I used the command: .\fastboot flash boot_a .\TWRP-CUBE_X_Neo-20201028.img - OK
When using the command: .\fastboot flash boot_b.\TWRP-CUBE_X_Neo-20201028.img - write:
unknown partition 'boot_b.\TWRP-CUBE_X_Neo-20201028.img'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'boot_b.\TWRP-CUBE_X_Neo-20201028.img'

Any advice?

taro4

Weaksauce
Now i´m just missing the GSI ROM installation.

Next step is just flashing the "system_a" and "system_b" partitions, right? This can be done from the TWRP as well, i suppose, or needs to be done from the bootloader with "fastboot flash system_a ROMFILENAME.img"?
This was answered last week, please see posts around #340.

Reactions: Horta
like this

Horta

n00b
GSI ROM from link in guide comes with .xz entension, this is not recognized in TWRP. Renaming to zip doesn´t help. Any clues?

taro4

Weaksauce
GSI ROM from link in guide comes with .xz entension, this is not recognized in TWRP. Renaming to zip doesn´t help. Any clues?
Extract it with 7ZIP and flash the IMG-File (in TWRP you can choose between ZIP or IMG).

bazito

n00b
So I managed it after two days :)
What rom would you recommend me. I am mainly interested in stable operation without bugs.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Side question, how often do these go on sale? I'm very curious but don't need a table for at least a few months.

Horta

n00b
I managed yesterday to boot with the crDRom R 21.04.28. (crdrom-v306-210428-arm64-bgZ.img.xz)

Noticed a couple of things on my side: camera don´t work, app hangs before launching. Initially i had a problem with Wifi as it didn´t turn on. I will re-do the full process today again to see if it was some kind of mistake during the process or not.

Someone who was the crDRom installed, can you tell which GAPPS apps are included in this ROM? After installing i saw only Play Store, might be a problem with the installation.

EDIT: after a new clean installation everything is working well for me. Camera is working, Wi-fi (2.4) is working and i guess that the GAPPS provided are very minimalist in this package.

Last edited:

sunarowicz

Weaksauce
I still run on LOS 17.1 and can confirm that 5 GHz WiFi (somehow) works. It has week signal sensitivity and transfer rates are low for 5 GHz. If you won't move your tablet too far from router, it will work. But do not expect any great WiFi performace. As far as I know this is the problem of all Android 10 based GSI ROMs that were discussed here in this thread. Because of this problem I'm still considering moving back to the original ROM. But do not want to lose the dark mode of Android 10.

emrah_tr

n00b
I still run on LOS 17.1 and can confirm that 5 GHz WiFi (somehow) works. It has week signal sensitivity and transfer rates are low for 5 GHz. If you won't move your tablet too far from router, it will work. But do not expect any great WiFi performace. As far as I know this is the problem of all Android 10 based GSI ROMs that were discussed here in this thread. Because of this problem I'm still considering moving back to the original ROM. But do not want to lose the dark mode of Android 10.
I confirm. Definitely dark mode makes far better battery performance for the tablet. Just for this reason even, it's worth to move to Android 10 or 11

bazito

n00b
Hi, I have a problem installing rom which is 3gb+ size.
When flashing in twrp, he writes "Size of image is larger than target device".
It has a solution?

taro4

Weaksauce
Hi, I have a problem installing rom which is 3gb+ size.
When flashing in twrp, he writes "Size of image is larger than target device".
It has a solution?
Afaik the size of the system partition is 3069 MB, if you want to flash bigger roms, you have to change the partition layout. Or flash a rom without gapps and a nano/pico gapps package afterwards (this normally needs a resize of the system partition file-system).

taro4

Weaksauce
I just updated crDRom to the newest version (crdrom-v307-210513-arm64-bvZ), but was not able to flash NikGapps-basic-arm64-11-20210514-signed.zip, flash always terminated with an error. The older NikGapps-basic-arm64-11-20210130-signed.zip worked without error.

CrimsonKnight13

Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress
Side question, how often do these go on sale? I'm very curious but don't need a table for at least a few months.
Not sure. You'd have to watch sites like Banggood, Gearbest, Geekbuying, & DHGate.

Side note - I think I'll update the guide to work with the 12/20 firmware since it's been tested thoroughly.

For anyone wondering about ROMs, I still prefer & recommend qiDroid (Android 10) for stability https://sourceforge.net/projects/treblerom/files/qiDroid/

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Thank you, I've got it watched in both places. I don't really need a Tablet, but I still kinda want one. Hopefully this stays popular enough for development to Android12.

CrimsonKnight13

Thank you, I've got it watched in both places. I don't really need a Tablet, but I still kinda want one. Hopefully this stays popular enough for development to Android12.
If/when you buy one, the speakers & the audio jack suck. Go with a USB-C adapter or Bluetooth for your audio needs if you can.

With GSI, you can go as far as you can take it. ALLDOCUBE won't be developing it very far, which is a bad trend with all of the Chinese manufacturers.

Personally, I prefer my new Galaxy Tab S7+ since the X Neo is severely lacking for my needs. The X Neo is now my oldest daughter's for multimedia watching.

Last edited:

taro4

Weaksauce
For anyone wondering about ROMs, I still prefer & recommend qiDroid (Android 10) for stability https://sourceforge.net/projects/treblerom/files/qiDroid/
I was about 6 month on qiDroid and now on crDRom/crDroid (Android 11), don't see a difference in stability. But crDRom has more options, I can even do without using GravityBox. And Swift Backup works with sdcards in regular mode, not experimental.

Personally, I prefer my new Galaxy Tab S7+ since the X Neo is severely lacking for my needs. The X Neo is now my oldest daughter's for multimedia watching.
Then your needs have become at least three times as expensive within a year? :)

Last edited:

taro4

Weaksauce
Another recommendation and trick for Safety NET pass :

The option(s) in phh treble settings don't work.
The only way to make it work is to flash magisk latest canary build and install MagiskHide Props Config v5 module -> edit device fingerprint - > pick certified finger print -> Samsung -> Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ Wifi SM-T970 (11) and reboot tablet.
I randomly tried this again yesterday with the newer version crdrom-v307-210513 and now it passed the safety net check (unlike the previous version). Nothing else has changed.

taro4

Weaksauce
FYI, Eremitein (developer of many GSI roms, e.g. qidroid and crdrom) wrote at XDA, that the build server he used was damaged and all his work is suspended.

CrimsonKnight13

Then your needs have become at least three times as expensive within a year? :)
More like I realized that I wanted a better tablet than what the X Neo provided. The long fight with figuring how to unlock the bootloader & headaches with GSI roms just pushed me in that direction.

I support anyone that wants to continue tinkering & using it. If there's ever a new official ROM from ALLDOCUBE, I have no problem with testing it out & making sure it works right. Honestly, I even forgot to update the guide to the most recent version but I haven't tracked if any new ones are out since then.

If anyone wants to take over updating the guide, I'll gladly hand over the original DOCX for modification with the stipulation that my work & username not be removed from it (improving it & giving me credit is fine as well). Actually, allowing more contributors to it with sharing in OneDrive would probably work best. I recommend publishing it to PDF for public access though.

More like I realized that I wanted a better tablet than what the X Neo provided. The long fight with figuring how to unlock the bootloader & headaches with GSI roms just pushed me in that direction.

I support anyone that wants to continue tinkering & using it. If there's ever a new official ROM from ALLDOCUBE, I have no problem with testing it out & making sure it works right. Honestly, I even forgot to update the guide to the most recent version but I haven't tracked if any new ones are out since then.

If anyone wants to take over updating the guide, I'll gladly hand over the original DOCX for modification with the stipulation that my work & username not be removed from it (improving it & giving me credit is fine as well). Actually, allowing more contributors to it with sharing in OneDrive would probably work best. I recommend publishing it to PDF for public access though.
Hi CrimsonKnight13,
I' m extremely happy with the X Neo. Please try to keep us informed if there are any updates.