Alienware m11x

I don't get why they can't put a faster CPU in the m11x.
Simple : Cost.
The M11X already costs close to double the price of the other 11.6" CULV machines.
The Sony Vaio Z has a thinner chassis, 330m, a regular CPU (35W) and still has a decent battery life, not to mention it's more than a pound lighter.
The Sony Vaio Z competes in a completely different market, at twice the cost of the M11X. Of course it's thinner and lighter - you'd expect nothing less at that end of the market. There's no logic in trying to compare it's specs to the M11X - with double the budget, it's quite obviously going to offer some improvements.

Simple : Cost.
The M11X already costs close to double the price of the other 11.6" CULV machines.

The Sony Vaio Z competes in a completely different market, at twice the cost of the M11X. Of course it's thinner and lighter - you'd expect nothing less at that end of the market. There's no logic in trying to compare it's specs to the M11X - with double the budget, it's quite obviously going to offer some improvements.

I understand that and I'm not trying to compare the m11x to the Z. Of course, they're in different markets, I'm simply using the Z to illustrate that there's no hardware issue with the m11x running a faster CPU.

As for the price: sure, a faster CPU would be more expensive but what's wrong with having a choice? Besides, faster CPUs don't cost too much more.
Bulk prices:
i7-620UM - $278
i7-620LM - $300
i7-620M - $332

By the way, it seems that the i5 ULV actually costs more than the regular version. i5-520UM ($241) and i5-520M ($225).

I understand that and I'm not trying to compare the m11x to the Z. Of course, they're in different markets, I'm simply using the Z to illustrate that there's no hardware issue with the m11x running a faster CPU.

As for the price: sure, a faster CPU would be more expensive but what's wrong with having a choice? Besides, faster CPUs don't cost too much more.
Bulk prices:
i7-620UM - $278
i7-620LM - $300
i7-620M - $332

By the way, it seems that the i5 ULV actually costs more than the regular version. i5-520UM ($241) and i5-520M ($225).

Most of the time the ULV proc cost more than their standard counterparts. They're essentially the same CPU just binned for lower voltage. Personally, I'd prefer the 620LM in the next generation m11x, with it's 2.0Ghz dual core, rather than 1.07Ghz of the 620-UM. The difference is only 7W.

My point was that they probably had been developing this laptop on something proven to be stable and low watt and cheap. They basically got their feet wet with the M11x.

Bulk prices:
i7-620UM - $278
i7-620LM - $300
i7-620M - $332
But the M11X is Core2Duo-based - none of those CPUs are even remotely compatible.

They'd need to design a whole new Motherboard, supply DDR3 Memory, etc. etc.

It's a none-starter until the next-generation M11X arrives :D

If you really want more CPU power, then just wait ... the M11X has had a great reception, and I have absolutely no doubt there'll be another version in time :D

Just looked at the m11x at best buy today. What a machine!

Definitely the one im getting for college... ill wait till around late july for a possible refresh and buy it early august if none come out. college gaming will be sweet with that hooked up to a dell 2209wa :)

Yeah, as it is, it's a great little side machine. Great battery life for normal tasks and note taking for classes and great on the go performance for gaming.

Whenever the refresh happens, I will totally buy it if it has both an ix cpu and optimus ability.

Just a recommendation for those thinking of getting it for college: I would seriously think about pairing this with a desktop, or at least an external monitor/keyboard/mouse/speaker setup. While I love mine for law school, the screen and keyboard size would drive me nuts after a while if it is all I had to work on.

Just a recommendation for those thinking of getting it for college: I would seriously think about pairing this with a desktop, or at least an external monitor/keyboard/mouse/speaker setup. While I love mine for law school, the screen and keyboard size would drive me nuts after a while if it is all I had to work on.

Yea, Well I currently have the Asus g50 with me at home right now, and thats what i was gonna pair it with :D

If those are your only problems and the laptop is fast enough for everything, you could just purchase an external monitor and a usb keyboard to hook up to it for dorm/apt/home life.

If those are your only problems and the laptop is fast enough for everything, you could just purchase an external monitor and a usb keyboard to hook up to it for dorm/apt/home life.

Agreed... assuming a decent backup solution. ;)

Oh, yeah, I will for sure get myself a dell 2209wa monitor, logitech g15 keyboard, razer mamba, an ikea jerker, and a wacom pad (I plan to take all note digitally on my m11x. Key word is plan here - don't exactly know how this will work out, but hey, wacom pad is only $100... worth the risk if it means getting rid of most of my paper notes imho)

then i'll eventually upgrade to two more 2209wa monitors when i start work, and plan to get a desktop (probably amd x4/x6(cheaper than i7 and plenty powerful for games/schoolwork - I dont do video encoding or anything like that), 5870, and eyefinity with 3x2209wa) in my sophomore year when I get an apartment/single dorm.

Wouldn't wanna have a ~$1000 gaming rig and ~$900 of monitors around any room mate.

Thats the plan anyway. :cool:

Until then, from what I've read the m11x should handle any amount of TF2, L4D2, ME2/Dragon Age, Eve Online, and Medal of Honor and Star Wars: Old Republic when they come out.

Oh yeah, and that schoolwork too ;)

speaking of which, what kind of luck have you guys had while hooking up your m11x to a monitor, and playing on 1650x1050 resolution? or anything higher?

wondering if it would be a large difference between playing at 720p, as I'd much rather play on 22 in versus 11.6 in while in my dorm.

Any thoughts?

Some games are unplayable on a 22inch screen for me. Around 20-30 and its not too fun, makes me mad.

hmmm... i really wouldn't want to get a 19 inch 720p monitor just for games on this thing.

granted, they're only $100.

hoes does the m11x's native resolution upscale to 1650x1050 or 1920x1080?

If a playstation 3 or HD cable box can upscale 720p to a 1080p tv or monitor pretty nicely, the m11x, through HDMI, should do pretty well also, im thinking. Anyone tried this?

With the M11x, I would not play games at a resolution higher than 1366 x 768 as your games would suffer. Maybe get a TV and play at 720p (ie 1280 x 720 res ouput to TV) which should run terrific.

I have a Intel x25-m 160GB G2 in mine also as of this past weekend and it is fast. My benchmarks though have been kinda bad, although I filled up the drive 55% before I ran any benchmarks. Regardless, it still is faster tons fast then the HDD that was in.

What are yours with CrystalDiskMark, AS SSD, Atto, HD Tune, or similar?

I hook my m11x up via HDMI to my 40" 720p LCD tv and it works great. It displays at 1366x768 and looks really good, the laptop has no problems running it. I have not tried to use a higher resolution just because it seems unnecessary, as it already looks/runs great.

*Side note, at home, I am gaming on my sig rig @ 1920x1200 and my guest uses the laptop/tv.

i just noticed information about the envy 14 spiraling around the net.

if it starts at a $1000, how do you guys see it competing against an m11x?

It's great to see competition. Makes the companies push each other even more for better features though it may drive up prices sometimes. So long as the prices aren't like the Sony Vaio Z then I will be happy. There is also the new Acer 3820TG.

Here are some size comparison's that someone one Notebookreview put up.

M11X: 11.25 x 9.19 x 1.29
Acer 3820TG: 12.75 x 9.25 x 1.14
HP Envy 14: 14.01 x 9.33 x 1.09
M15X: 14.88 x 12.15 x 1.92

If you are trying to keep the size down as much as possible, you would stick with the M11x or Acer. But for people who want it a little bigger the Envy 14 should be great.

I am just curious to how the heat management will be in the Envy 14 and Acer since the M11x's is damn good in that department.

Yeah, im kind of hoping that Alienware refreshes this summer. Otherwise I might go with the better hardware (the envy 14), so long as the good stuff starts at the $999 price. I guess I'm waiting until at least June 27 to find out though.

I definitelly prefer the larger screen, no matter how much I prefer the Alienware's looks.

I just really wish that screen didn't have a huge bezel....they could easily put a larger screen in there.

good to know that darkhan had a decent estimate on a refresh

i've been holding off this long, I guess I'll have to live with my lenovo a bit longer

Btw one of you above posters that has a Intel 160 SSD in the m11x, what does your windows experience rating show it as?

Hey dont worry about it too much man.

From what I've read, it might not be much of a performance upgrade, as this will be the ulv model, not the regular model. I'd still remain happy about your m11x order, unless of course they haven't ordered it yet. And I believe you can return the ordered one without a restocking fee if you do it right away.

Yea, I'll ba happy either way, but I'll take all the extra I can get. Hopefully they didn't order it yet. Oh why, do gifts have to be secrets? :(

I've been reading, and even the asus refresh that happened before didn't show too much increase in performance.

No doubt it will give some people better peace of mind that they have "more up to date" tech though

I know someone asked how fast my intel x25 160gb SSD was on my m11x so here it is.

Intel_X25_160_SSD.png

Has anyone tried outputing to a 30" monitor? I'm thinking of getting one after the refresh, but I would like to know if it'll work with my Dell 3007 WFP-HC.

Well, the refresh info has not mentioned what GPU will be in the new machine. If it's the same 335, then i don't think there will be much of a difference.

man slickdeals has this laptop for $704. better hurry before it sells out. i paid $1000 for mine just last month. =(

The M11x R2 is up now at Dell Malaysia with i3, i5, and i7 cpu options. What is confusing is that it now has Optimus support but it states it is only for the i3 and i5 (which I think is a typo).

Anyways, a Dell rep says he will announce more tomorrow on Notebookreview forums

I know someone asked how fast my intel x25 160gb SSD was on my m11x so here it is.

Whats weird is that my SSD does 270mb/s read 195mb/s write and only shows as 7.2! I'm guessing it must include burst speed or other ratings too???

Last edited:
Back