Alienware M11x...Opinions?

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
I'll be going to college next year (OSU :D). Unfortunately I'll be commuting, which is around a 45 minute drive. So I might be hanging out for awhile for my next class.

I was looking at the M11x...

-Processor SU4100 (2M Cache, 1.30 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
-1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
-250GG HDD
-4GB RAM
-8 Cell Battery
-11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) LCD
-Illuminated keyboard too. :D
~~$899.99

The major draw back is the 1.3ghz processor. :( It would probably be worth it to get the 3M cache processor, but that's an extra $100. For a 12inch laptop, I can't find anything that competes. 8.5 hour battery life too, or so it says.

I was originally looking at the Asus G72GX-RBBX05, or the Asus G60VX-RBBX05. Mainly because of the 260m video, but the battery life is horrible, around an hour and 30mins.

I have a HP nc4400, which is a 12in laptop. Very portable and durable. Battery life is around 3 hours, and the best it can play is UT04. :mad:

So the whole point is, what does the [H] think of the new Alienware laptop? I'm also open to suggestions on a laptop that has a half way decent graphics card, with good battery life, and under $1000. :D No Toshiba's though! ;)

Thanks,

KI

There is a huge thread on this laptop in the Alienware section at Notebookreview's forums. They have discussed the 1.3ghz processor situation paired with the GT335 extensively.

I would love to have that laptop. looks like a great performer for the size and looks like it would be good for commuters. I wish this was out 2 years ago and then I would have got one

Yea. Maybe by the time I'm ready to get one (summer) there will be a revision to it. Hopefully in the cpu area. ;) 1.6-1.7 oc is nice, but I expect better out of Alienware. :p

Didn't realize there was another thread...:eek:

At first I thought it was an overpriced netbook

I still do to an extent, but the key thing with it is the fact you can OC that processor to make it a little more powerful and it's simple to do so. It has no optical drive, which can suck when you actually do need to use DVD's or CD's for any reason.

what I like about it is the fact that it can play games decently and that it's LIGHT

i tote a Gateway 7811-FX, it's basically a desktop replacement. It + power brick = heavy :(

that thing, you could stick it in a backpack, a courier's bag, or one of those really nice Wenger bags they sell at Best Buy or online and be done with it.

Targus makes good bags too, anyway, my general point is that for what it does and it's size/weight/battery life, that's pretty impressive.

I always have my laptop plugged in so I don't really care about battery life

My laptop doesn't have one as it is, so not to really worry about it. Already have an external DVD Drive. ;)

Honestly, I've looked at that laptop a couple of times.

The only reason I haven't ordered it, is the look of it. Don't want butt'ugly on a laptop. Probably just going to order a 13.3 MBP after the next refresh, but did kind of want something smaller. MBAir is out(overpriced, underperforming, and lacking in a lot of useful features that I want), but liked the spec's on the M11x.

If it wasn't hideous.

Oh well.

Looks far from ugly IMO.

49068.jpg

49064.jpg

Other pics,
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5474

I was pretty excited about this at first, even ordered one but the more and more I read the less and less I want it. Especially after seeing initial user opinions those not "enamored with the new toy" seem to point out alot of flaws and this thing is really starting to seem like nothing more than a giant netbook with a big gpu that cannot be taken advantage of due to the weak processor in it.

I didn't want to have to pony up the cash but it really does seem you get what you pay for so I am going to go with a Sony Z instead. It's the same size, actually smaller if you measure the volume, has a bigger screen way more horsepower and it will trounce the 11x in any task involving the processor and will be better for games as well. 7500-8000ish 3dmarks for Z vs 6000ish for 11x@ 1280x768 (default resolution for 3dmark on 1366x768 screens) in 3dmark 06 and 2800ish PCmarks vs 10,000ish PCmarks in PCmark vantage.

Last edited:
See, it's completely a personal opinion, but I think that looks like the midlife crisis that is the new Camero.

I don't want a laptop with headlights and a "grill". I don't want the backlit "Alienware" blinding me if I'm using it on a dark airplane.

I can understand why people would like it. I am just not one of them. No thank you.

The notebook looks quite good in person IMO and the build quality is excellent. Solid keyboard, very well built all around, great screen too

I was pretty excited about this at first, even ordered one but the more and more I read the less and less I want it. Especially after seeing initial user opinions those not "enamored with the new toy" seem to point out alot of flaws and this thing is really starting to seem like nothing more than a giant netbook with a big gpu that cannot be taken advantage of due to the weak processor in it.

I didn't want to have to pony up the cash but it really does seem you get what you pay for so I am going to go with a Sony Z instead. It's the same size, actually smaller if you measure the volume, has a bigger screen way more horsepower and it will trounce the 11x in any task involving the processor and will be better for games as well. 7500-8000ish 3dmarks for Z vs 6000ish for 11x@ 1280x768 (default resolution for 3dmark on 1366x768 screens) in 3dmark 06 and 2800ish PCmarks vs 10,000ish PCmarks in PCmark vantage.

Care to share those user opinions?

Oh wait, you don't really have them beyond a couple disgruntled people, including some actually mad they cant get a measly 133Mhz!!. I've been actively posting/reviewing/benching the M11x on notebookreviews, and besides a few people annoyed at the CPU issue/bugs, most people are doing just fine with it thank you very much

The notebook looks quite good in person IMO and the build quality is excellent. Solid keyboard, very well built all around, great screen too

Care to share those user opinions?

Oh wait, you don't really have them beyond a couple disgruntled people, including some actually mad they cant get a measly 133Mhz!!. I've been actively posting/reviewing/benching the M11x on notebookreviews, and besides a few people annoyed at the CPU issue/bugs, most people are doing just fine with it thank you very much

LOL? Go to notebookreview.com and look in the Alienware forum? What you wan't me to do link all the posts individually here?

There has only been one disgruntled user review. Everyone else who actually has the unit in their hands has been happy so far.

All the complaints are from people who do not actually have an M11x in hand. They are just people who are ticked off about the 1.73 ghz overclock (it currently overclocks to 1.6 ghz) that in no way was ever promised. Re-empasizing the fact they do not actually have the M11x in their hands.

Also, for those people disgruntled about the LED lighting all over the laptop, you know you can turn that off through software right?

The quality of the LCD is good, although the amount of light leakage at the bottom especially is obscene. If your looking for deep blacks - forget it.

Guys just saying check for the problem with your screen when you get it, as mine now has a 2mm gap at the top started as 1mm then is starting getting larger lol

I don't follow the thread as closely as I use too, those are just a couple of the complaints from scanning the last few pages at notebook review Not many actually have these yet though as you say. So will be interesting to see the end results once everyone recieves them. I only would have profited 100 or 2 selling it on Ebay if I was really lucky on the 11x so not worth the risk to hold onto it to me, especially if I got one of the duds and had to return it...such a headache so I didn't want to take chance and just canceled instead.

It looks pretty neat to me, almost in a class of it's own since the only other small CULV C2D based laptop out there w/a decent dedicated GPU are the ASUS UL series and those use a GT 210M instead (plus the 12" model isn't even available w/said GPU so you'd have to opt for the larger 13"). I still like the ASUS line better, but I don't game enough (if at all) on my mobile system to warrant the M11x, and if I did I'd probably want something larger anyway.

LOL? Go to notebookreview.com and look in the Alienware forum? What you wan't me to do link all the posts individually here?

No, I was calling you out on your BS blanket comment since I know there haven't been that many complaints since I'm actively posting and reviewing on the forum.

Besides homebrewer's dud CPU/Memory and screen that he refuses to take a picture of (it's likely he got a lemon anyways, since the odds of having all those things broken at once is unlikely) and BigTymer's leakage (a pic would help too... my screen has been perfect), there haven't been many complaints from the users

You sound like you've never bought a new first-release notebook... this same thing happens in notebooks, phones, cars, etc. Oh screen issues... like dead pixels, some get em, some don't. There will always be a few lemons. But hey, go on ahead and keep saying how many are

not "enamored with the new toy"

when that's simply not happening.

:rolleyes:

No, I was calling you out on your BS blanket comment since I know there haven't been that many complaints since I'm actively posting and reviewing on the forum.

Besides homebrewer's dud CPU/Memory and screen that he refuses to take a picture of (it's likely he got a lemon anyways, since the odds of having all those things broken at once is unlikely) and BigTymer's leakage (a pic would help too... my screen has been perfect), there haven't been many complaints from the users

You sound like you've never bought a new first-release notebook... this same thing happens in notebooks, phones, cars, etc. Oh screen issues... like dead pixels, some get em, some don't. There will always be a few lemons. But hey, go on ahead and keep saying how many are

when that's simply not happening.

:rolleyes:

Those we're just on the last few pages mate so it was easy to point them out but that thread is way to big and disorganized trying to actually find anything in particular there is an excersize in futility, so that is all I will provide. If anyone is interested they can go look for themselves :D

Those we're just on the last few pages mate so it was easy to point them out but that thread is way to big and disorganized trying to actually find anything in particular there is an excersize in futility, so that is all I will provide. If anyone is interested they can go look for themselves :D

And believe me, I've been actively participating and reading in it. And you're overblowing it and reaching way way too much into various issues and performance such as from the 3dMark scores

Two people (one a major issue, one a minor issue) with issues out of those who own it, plus a few disgrunted forum posters who may not have even ordered the m11x, does not constitute a large chunk of pissed off people by any means. At all.

it definitely pushes the envelope in mobile gaming...

which is great!!!

I like the 14" form factor better.

Love the idea, even with the 1.3 type of processor for battery life. I really don't like the way it looks with the stupid lights everywhere. Can you turn those off?

Love the idea, even with the 1.3 type of processor for battery life. I really don't like the way it looks with the stupid lights everywhere. Can you turn those off?

Yes you can. FN + Prnt Screen button turns it off

And believe me, I've been actively participating and reading in it. And you're overblowing it and reaching way way too much into various issues and performance such as from the 3dMark scores

Two people (one a major issue, one a minor issue) with issues out of those who own it, plus a few disgrunted forum posters who may not have even ordered the m11x, does not constitute a large chunk of pissed off people by any means. At all.

Well even if it was only 2, which I doubt but how many had actually received these at the time like 10-12 people? Last time I read those forums saying 12 people had received them would be generous...don't know anymore haven't been following the threads and I don't really care anymore since I managed to get mine canceled! So not going to argue about it anymore...

Last edited:
who here on HardF's has one of these? I have been reading that some of you ordered a while back. Anyone?

The Pre-Order date was on 2/2 and they were supposedly going to start shipping after 3/1. But they started shipping early. I originally ordered early morning 2/3 with an original Estimated Delivery Date of 3/8. Last weekend the EDD was bumped to 3/3 and as of 2/21 it is now shipped. Should be here 2/23 or 2/24.

I probably won't have time to really play around with it till next weekend however.

I'm so tempted to get this. It's in a small package, powerful for its size and overall can play HD videos. That is the problem that I have with my current laptop the Acer Timeline. I want a lappy with great battery life that can play my Top Gear Episodes in HD.

The Pre-Order date was on 2/2 and they were supposedly going to start shipping after 3/1. But they started shipping early. I originally ordered early morning 2/3 with an original Estimated Delivery Date of 3/8. Last weekend the EDD was bumped to 3/3 and as of 2/21 it is now shipped. Should be here 2/23 or 2/24.

I probably won't have time to really play around with it till next weekend however.

Put some pics up!? :D And, what was your config?

SU7300, 4 gb ram, 250 gb hd, and bluetooth module upgrade all for $830 shipped from the now expired stacked coupons.

Im really close to buying one. Im gonna wait till tommorow and if Apple doesnt update the MBP line I think im gonna jump on this.
PROCESSOR Intel® Pentium™ SU4100 1.3GHz (2MB Cache)
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
HARD DRIVE 320GB SATAII 7,200RPM
BLUETOOTH Bluetooth Module, 2.1+ Enhanced Data Rate
VIDEO CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
LCD PANEL 11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)
WIRELESS CARDS Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless
NETWORK CARD Integrated 10/100 Network Interface Card
WEBCAM 1.3MP Web Cam

just an FYI, I was also very interested in this laptop until I read that while gaming don't expect to get anymore than 2 hours battery life, so less than 25% of "max battery". That is pretty horrible. now the gpu isn't as strong on the UL30VT but people get 3:30-4 hours gaming on that! I doubt the gpu could cause that to be cut in half, meaning Dell isn't using the best battery they could, and its also non removable, so no backup if you have a long plane ride...

for anyone who has the money and is just looking for the best performing small laptop, the new Sony Z looks interesting but its $1900. i540 cpu, 330m gpu, 128 GB SSD RAID 0, DVD drive, only 3.1 pounds (50% lighter than the M11), battery life is 8 hours, but if you spend $100 more and get the extended life battery its 11 hours! now that will give you around 4 hours of gaming, and a much much strong cpu and lighting fast hard drive. Of course you could buy TWO M11 from alienware instead...

2 hours of battery life while gaming is still pretty good dude, you're lucky to even get 1 full hour with some of the full-size gaming laptops. I guess it's all about priorities... Knowing all that, like you I'd probably opt for the UL30Vt... Which gets better battery life overall anyway. That to me is a priority over being able to play the most demanding games, but that's not the case for everyone.

I didn't realize the battery was non-removable either... ASUS does use a larger battery (an 8-cell vs 6-cell, on all of the UL-series 'cept the UL20), but I'm not sure that alone accounts for the disparity, probably a combination of it, the GPU, and the extra cooling and lights on the Alienware. (beefier speakers too)

The SSD options on the Sony Z look pretty sketchy to me, what's w/all those RAID options... That not only kills TRIM support but should be totally unnecessary, 'specially for what they charge for the SSD upgrade. They're probably using Samsung SSD which pale in comparison to any Intel/Indillix drive. Unless you can't upgrade it yourself it's not worth the money at all. I've no idea why the M11x is so heavy compared to other 11.6-12" laptops either...

I'm so tempted to get this. It's in a small package, powerful for its size and overall can play HD videos. That is the problem that I have with my current laptop the Acer Timeline. I want a lappy with great battery life that can play my Top Gear Episodes in HD.

Your Timeline should be able to do that, if it's fiddly with any particular video you might have to play around w/CoreAVC but it should still manage imo.

The SSD options on the Sony Z look pretty sketchy to me, what's w/all those RAID options... That not only kills TRIM support but should be totally unnecessary, 'specially for what they charge for the SSD upgrade. They're probably using Samsung SSD which pale in comparison to any Intel/Indillix drive. Unless you can't upgrade it yourself it's not worth the money at all. I've no idea why the M11x is so heavy compared to other 11.6-12" laptops either...

They are a doublesided SSD designed for the Z, you could not fit a standard ssd in there unless you lose the dvd burner you have to see the Z in person to understand you seriously cannot make a 13" laptop any smaller and lighter than this LOL It's really amazing to see I mean it's essentially the same size only thinner, lighter and way more powerful than the 11x but it has a 13" screen while 11x has an 11.6" and they still manage to fit a DVD/Blueray drive in it LOL

Heres a vid about the SSD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOd8hbYf0E

Last edited:
Doublesided SSD? What does that even mean? If the Z can't fit a standard sized 2.5" laptop drive how the hell do people configure it with standard HDD (if they don't opt for the SSD)? That's just marketing bs... After watching the video to me it just seems like they're using multiple SSD for cost/performance reasons, nothing else. Probably more towards the cost side, otherwise they'd be advertising what actual SSD they're using (as based on the price it's definitely not a decent Intel or Indillix-based drive).

There's plenty of other thin 13" laptops out there w/burners (UL30, etc.), a difference of a quarter inch or w/e doesn't make me wet myself, sorry. I'm pretty ambivalent about the need of an optical drive either way, all it does is suck down extra juice for me... I'm sure it's nice for people who're getting a light laptop as a desktop replacement but most enthusiasts 13" laptops or smaller usually own a desktop imo.

Doublesided SSD? What does that even mean? If the Z can't fit a standard sized 2.5" laptop drive how the hell do people configure it with standard HDD (if they don't opt for the SSD)? That's just marketing bs... After watching the video to me it just seems like they're using multiple SSD for cost/performance reasons, nothing else. Probably more towards the cost side, otherwise they'd be advertising what actual SSD they're using (as based on the price it's definitely not a decent Intel or Indillix-based drive).

There's plenty of other thin 13" laptops out there w/burners (UL30, etc.), a difference of a quarter inch or w/e doesn't make me wet myself, sorry. I'm pretty ambivalent about the need of an optical drive either way, all it does is suck down extra juice for me... I'm sure it's nice for people who're getting a light laptop as a desktop replacement but most enthusiasts 13" laptops or smaller usually own a desktop imo.

Whatever you say mate...:rolleyes:

So you're not refuting the fact that Sony is using multiple SSD as a gimmick and to cut costs? 'Cuz that's all there is to it, yeah by going RIAD you increase sequential write/read speeds but that's not what matters most for an OS drive. If the drives don't even support TRIM (and no RAID controller does yet) or some form of GC you'd see a substantial and progressive degradation of performance over time.

The drives they showed in the video are standard sized 2.5" SSD, same as any other ('cept they don't have the pretty metal box most come with, irrelevant since these things don't even generate heat). You tried to argue they were using some sort of specially sized SSD because of space constraints in the design of the laptop, which is bs.

So you're not refuting the fact that Sony is using multiple SSD as a gimmick and to cut costs? 'Cuz that's all there is to it, yeah by going RIAD you increase sequential write/read speeds but that's not what matters most for an OS drive. If the drives don't even support TRIM (and no RAID controller does yet) or some form of GC you'd see a substantial and progressive degradation of performance over time.

The drives they showed in the video are standard sized 2.5" SSD, same as any other ('cept they don't have the pretty metal box most come with, irrelevant since these things don't even generate heat). You tried to argue they were using some sort of specially sized SSD because of space constraints in the design of the laptop, which is bs.

Nope i'm not gonna refute it because this is starting to feel like the special olympics, so i'm gonna take a fall and let you win :D

Cheers mate.

You cant configure a Z without a SSD btw, its standard even on the lowest end.

Back