Airbus Ditches Microsoft Office, Flies Off to Google’s G Suite

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Aeronautical giant Airbus is permanently grounding its relationship with Microsoft Office and taking off with G Suite, Google’s line of web-based computing and productivity tools. According to the company’s chief information officer, Google’s option is a better fit for collaboration.

The shift to Google is clearly a massive blow to Microsoft, which warned resellers some nearly five years back not to compete with its nemesis on price because they would always lose. In Google’s calendar Q4, Google Cloud - comprising Google Cloud Platform and G Suite - turned over $1bn but the firm didn’t break down the sales by line.

Hm, interesting. I work for a company that was a part of Airbus until just recently. We got sold to Motorola a few weeks ago and we're also migrating to G Suite under Motorola. We've been a Microsoft house ever since I signed on so this transition should be interesting.

More and more companies are going to do this.

It uses less rescources, more stable and cheaper.

And Microsoft is out of touch with what it's customers want.

We did this a few years ago, then promptly went back to MS. True, it has been a few years so things on the google side may have gotten better but I doubt we'll ever do that again.

Not that I have a lot of experience in this department as it was never my full time job, but Excel is usually the program that gives companies the most issues. Excel is (arguably) the best/most complex product ever acquired/developed by Microsoft. The other spreadsheet software out there isn't 100% compatible with it - and more people seem to know how to use it than the alternatives.
Word and PowerPoint seem pretty vanilla and work with the other software suites. (At least based on my small sample set of data.)

We did this a few years ago, then promptly went back to MS. True, it has been a few years so things on the google side may have gotten better but I doubt we'll ever do that again.
We recently migrated to office365. There were a couple of people involved in the decision making process that kept stamping their feet and demanding g suite, we found out one employee had been putting a gsuite subscription on expense reports so we spoke to the rest of the people in his department, found out they kept having problems opening spreadsheets he was making because they wouldn't export and then open in excel properly. Now you might think that it'd be fine so long as everyone switched, the problem lies when you need to send that spreadsheet to a vendor or contractor and they can't get the thing to work properly either... people get pissed managers start looking at labor rates, contractors start re-examining bids, and it becomes a mess.

Now if my employer were a company like say... airbus who can dictate how their business partners interact with them like that, and has the resources to retrain their employees... gsuite would have been a serious option.

the latest version of Stand a lone Office is very good... not going to Sub to a yearly fee version

Companies that do shit like this to save a buck always end up losing more in the long run. Not that gsuite is nearly as bad, but a prior company forced us to use Lotus Notes instead of Outlook. It sounds petty, but it was so annoying. The company is now out of business, coincidentally. This was a spin-off of Zodiac Aerospace, btw. Not some mom and pop shop.

Will this end up anything like KFC in England changing chicken suppliers?

More and more companies are going to do this.

It uses less rescources, more stable and cheaper.

And Microsoft is out of touch with what it's customers want.

Doubt it. My guess is that what has come to higher ed is coming to all enterprise customers, which is basically the end of enterprise licensing. Oh you can have all the apps, OSes, and licenses to run in house, but the licensing will be via the cloud, and will come with Office 365 included for all your users you have to license anyway. The reality will be that the price increase of the licenses will be less than migration costs away from their OS and office suite. On top of it, You will now have 365, which is decent sitting there essentially for free vs your g suite bill or keeping stuff in house.

I can tell you from our experience, 365 beats the shit out of G suite for administrative controls. Google is also late to the game on BAAs and other important regulatory stuff. REally the only thing going for it is the customer base is familliar with teh google interface, and some of the collaboration stuff is more refined and less weird.

Also in the land of serious spreadsheet usage, excel is usually a killer app. Like literally. It's math is the most vetted, and there's the least chance of shitty math killing someone.

Also in the land of serious spreadsheet usage, excel is usually a killer app. Like literally. It's math is the most vetted, and there's the least chance of shitty math killing someone.
=77.1*850
=0^0

do those and tell me what Excel returns

=77.1*850
=0^0

do those and tell me what Excel returns

Edit oh there was another one that didn't show up in the post, only in the quote. That returns #NUM! which is basically Excel's interpretation of "not a number". You were probably expecting 1 but that isn't technically correct, technically it in undefined, hence not a number.

As for the first one, you know it is 2018, not 2007, right? That was a bug in Excel... 11 years ago.

Back