After i shut down.

DavidD

n00b
I am new to both forums and water cooling so please bear with me. I just filled my system for the first time and i noticed some things I had not thought about like the fact that the pump did not act as a barrier to back flow when the power was off. Then as I was filling I over filled the reservoir and found out the lid was not screwed on all the way and leaked. My pump and reservoir are at the bottom of my loop, so my concern is that gravity will have its way and fill my reservoir when I power down and since the lid is leaking I will over flow all over the bottom of my case? Since this is my leak test of my loop I used just distilled water and planned to drain it so at that time I will tighten the lid but I will have to power down before I do that and hence my concern. The pump/reservoir are a Neachanger 200ml, I have a 120 pass through rad for the MB mono block and a 240 rad for the gpu block with the orientation of this rad having the in and out port at the top.

Welcome to the Hardforums.

My first tip will be that you generally have an easier time getting help if you format your posts so that they are easy to read. Try breaking things into paragraphs. Images help too!

So, to your question, your reservoir really shouldn't leak. Is there no way to close it securely? In a well built system without any leaks, once you fill it completely, usually you don't have any gravity issues, as you'll have the fluid in the up tube and the down tube acting as a counterweight to itself and Generally stays up there.

Open a vent valve or have a small leak though, and it may come crashing down.

I'd be nervous about having a reservoir that doesn't seal shut though...

Yes, when the loop is fully air, and water tight, you should have fewer/no issues with backflow.

If any water volume is above the air leak, the pressure of gravity will equalize water level at the leak... So anything in the water column above the physical position of the leak, can and will be released.

Also, the more air you have in your loop, the more it pressurizes as the water heats up, water can't expand dramatically when hot like air can... So, fill that res up 95% of the way, get your water hot as possible (say operating temp), remove the last few ml of air from the res (by top filling it) and cap it, hot. This creates a slight vacuum that prevents busting out a tube or fitting as pressure builds, especially during a fan failure.

And I'm assuming you're not powering the entire build currently to run the pump, correct? Just jumping the PSU?

If the top of your reservoir is lower than the highest point of your loop, that by itself is okay.

However, the only way that turning your pump off would allow the res to overflow would be if there was someplace else in your loop that air is able to enter, displacing the fluid and allowing gravity to pull it downward.

I would thoroughly check the rest of your loop to make sure there are no loose fittings or other issues causing this condition.

Hello thanks for the formatting suggestion.
Loop:
Running parallel loops, cpu loop and gpu loop.
Cpu is really a mono block has a 120 rad that is a pass through in at top out at bottom.
Gpu has a 120 rad with both in and out on on end, orientation put them at the top.

Loops start directly out of pump IMG_20190110_135811717.jpg IMG_20190109_204431552.jpg
Go to their blocks then to their rads then join back up right before reservoir.

I stopped the power and low and behold the system held the water in its place with no overflow of the reservoir, now i will continue to run my test till tomorrow and then drain, screw the lid securely in place refill with EC6 and start testing and using my new system. Detail to be loaded later

Back