After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for buying 3080.... however, I’m also trying to buy a 3090. I just don’t want to get skunked on trying to get a 3090 and then come up short and wait for stock to show up again.

If I land both, I’ll sell off the 3080 faster than you can say eBay

Waiting for the 3090. Since I am waiting for one with an AIO, there's probably a good chance I'll get to see navi's launch before I can even get one, but I am not holding my breath for AMD's offering. I hope I get proven wrong and regret I bought an overpriced 3090, but I doubt it.

Yeah I'm in for one. Don't really "need" one but I would like to upgrade my son's PC and the near 100% improvement over my 2070 should push my 240 Hz monitor nicely. I'll probably pick up a Founder's Edition from Best Buy tomorrow if they have any since I'm off.

This is where I'm at as well. Not sure what the actual price will be in Canada but if it's the equivalent of $700 USD then I'm okay with it, and my 1080 will go into my nephew's system and give him a great boost at 1080p.

I'm skeptical about availability but I guess we'll see!

Happy 4K benchmarks show I will likely be able to keep my system through another iteration of video cards! I am targeting the 3090 and am waiting for reviews! :D

Buy now and sell later ;)
(if you happen not to like the card)

Well I run at 1080p 240 Hz and play mainly CoD BR so I'm waiting for a review that addresses that although I'm not expecting 3080 to give much more performance vs my OC'd 2080 Ti. So most likely I'm just going to wait until after Big Navi launches and maybe even longer until NVIDIA releases their 3080 Ti or next refresh. The 3080 is nice and all but I don't game at 4K to justify buying one right now--I was going to get one tomorrow but decided to hold off.

I am not in a rush, I am targetting that 3080/big navi price point and am happy to wait until january to see where everything falls out. 3080 looks like a realllllyyy good card though.

I’m currently using a EVGA 1070 black on a 3440x1440 120Hz G-sync monitor. I have been waiting a long time to update that 1070. Since my monitor is G-sync, I’m kinda stuck with NVIDIA if I want variable refresh rates. I’m not willing to pay any amount for a worthwhile upgrade though and until the 3080 FE showed up, nothing seemed worth the asking price. Even though I’m in Canada, I’ll probably try to get one tomorrow directly from Nvidia at 699$ USD + conversion and shipping. But if I can’t because of supply issue, I’m not willing to pay more for an AIB card. I’ll end up waiting… hopefully not 2 more years.

The plan was to build a new system this year to upgrade my aging sandy bridge/980. I may still do so, however I have some concerns with the power and headroom on the 3080. The reviews I've seen so far say yeah sure. 3080 can run today's games at 4k@60hz, some of them even with RTX on. But whats going to happen as the next gen consoles launch? How future proof are these cards? How will Cyberpunk 2077 run?

In the same vein, these cards use a lot of juice and don't have much headroom based on early reviews. 320 watts on card, with a 370 watt limit. Overclocks maxing that out for an additional 5ish percent increased performance. It seems they're really squeezing as much as they already can out of these cards. Maybe the AIO cards will improve this, but its too early to say.

I got bit when I upgraded to the 480, and I'm getting flashbacks of a big power hungry card thats quickly replaced with something shinier. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I may just suffer through until the 3080 ti comes out, or big navi if it looks better.

I will probably buy a 3080 on the same order as a 4K monitor. I went with a high refresh 1440 27" monitor a few years ago and can't tell one bit of difference in a game between 60 and 144hz. As long as I can hit 60 fps, bring on the 32"+ 4k eye candy.

I'm still waiting for 3060, It will be over twice the speed of my 1060, and won't make me regret spending over $500 on a video card.

I'm not sure at this point. I sold my 2080 and stuck my 1080 back in my computer. I haven't had time to game much at all lately so no biggie. I am also wanting to get a new DSLR which costs around $1,700 just for the body so I may just put off getting a new graphics card for a while.

I may get a new video card this year.. maybe not. If I do get one, I am leaning towards the 3080 or 3090... and I would need new monitors as well as I am still running 1080p... and I would be severely CPU limited. Basically I need to build a whole new system.

None of the survey answers really fit so I didn't choose one.
Funny...I kind of went the opposite route. I sold my DSLR and lenses earlier this year and used some of the money to buy a Valve Index (I still need to sell of my studio strobe and equipment). I used to do a lot of photography, but fighting testicular cancer 2 years in a row kind of sucked out the joy of photography for me, carrying around a camera backpack and going on outings. That was 3 years ago and I am still in remission. Now I spend more time creating memories with my own eyes instead of being behind a camera. I do still like to take pictures and do photo editing, but I rely more on my iPhone for that and I am contemplating replacing my old Sony RX100 with a newer version so that I can have something pocketable.

If you do a lot of photo editing, I recommend maybe investing in a 4K monitor first. The extra resolution was a huge help when working in Photoshop and Lightroom, especially with high MP images.

My 1080ti is still great running 2k resolution. No need to buy anything else at this point.

That's cuz your still at 1080p man. Everything is cpu limited at that res. Get a larger panel and then things will change for you.

On topic the 3080 looks like the sweet spot for 4k, decently priced with a big uplift over the 2080ti. Win win.

buying 3080 reasonably priced AIB (like $750 max). If I can't get that then I guess I'll suck it up and take an 3090 FE (or AIB that is the FE price). I don't want to pay over the FE price for a 3090. Willing to go up a tad for a 3080.

I want a 3090. I am so damn sick of constantly tweaking just to get above min framerate of 60fps on my 4k screen. I just want something that will work for a while, cost be damned.

I'm hoping someone will come out with a water block for the FE boards.

Pretty sure I'm going to get an AIO 3080 but I'm also interested to see the 3090 results at 4K.
I may pull the trigger on a 3080 FE if I can get one to hold me over and then sell it for an AIO 3080/3090 when they're out.
I'm hoping AMD has something to show because nVidia really does have us all by the balls and this 'generous' pricing will likely not last.

Regarding power I have an ancient Corsair HX1000W supply I've been using for about 11 years...
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-hx-series-cmpsu-1000hx-1000w/p/N82E16817139007
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Professional-Series™-HX1000 –-80 PLUS®-Certified-Modular-Power-Supply/p/CMPSU-1000HX#tab-tech-specs
This does make me a bit nervous...
I have to wonder if there is a failure if it will take everything down with it or just give up the ghost (hopefully not dramatically) and I'll replace it, and life will go on.

Will be trying to pick one up tomorrow and as much as I like the FE card I will try to skip it because of the wonky PCB and the proprietary power connector, so if I can't get an AIB card tomorrow then I will settle for the FE.

I will be waiting on the 3090 to launch....I am actually thinking of trying to order both a 3080 and a 3090 FE - just in case I can't get one or the other. I would then probably sell the 3080 off if I can actually get a 3090 (again if I can even get my hands on one..).
I'm currently running a 1080 ti I picked up for $500 a bit over a year ago, as I didn't want to pay the crazy 2080 ti prices at the time, that and they were hard to find for a while.

I am really wanting to take the leap into 4k - we'll see how things go!

Personally I am waiting until AMD has their announcement but I am really leaning towards a 3070. My system still does everything i ask of it now so I have no immediate need. Just have the huge itch to build a new system, all these product announcements are not helping with the itch.

I still think a 3080 Ti is a possibility, maybe around April or May of 2021, so I'm holding off for a while. I can live with my 2080 Ti until then.

If I can get my hands on a launch 3080, I'll probably sell it for a launch navi 2 since 10gb isn't enough.

In the market to upgrade this year, but waiting to see the new Ryzen 4000 series CPUs, and since I'm waiting for that, might as well see what big Navi has to offer.

after hearing about NV attempting to simplify their product stack I am just going to go for a 3080 tomorrow. Figured if I can get one at launch and pair that with the new Ryzen down the road it will make for an awesome upgrade from a 4970k/1080ti. Prepare your F5's!

Holding off this year. The 1080Ti is still suiting me ok.. and I just spent like $30k getting my in-ground pool removed/backfilled, new fence, and over 1000sq.ft of cement work. lol

Im going to try to buy a 3080 FE, however i do not expect to get one. If I can't get an FE i'll wait till i can get one later.

I'm waiting for AMD's showing at the table. Might be nothing, might shake things up.
Realistically, I'm going to wait until the first batch goes out, see where AMD stands, watch for defects, issues, etc, then make my decision once all the players are on the field and prices stabilize outside of a pre-order frenzy.

My main rig has a 2080ti so I'm going to wait until big Navi is at least announced. Hopefully if the numbers work out, it will push the 3080 and Nvidia will have to release the 3080ti / 3080 Super to counter with 12 or 20gb VRAM.

This will be tough dcision for people who have already sold their old cards and need a new card right away. I'm hoping AMD can pull another 9700/9700 pro this go around and knock our socks off.

i admit, i'm cheap. my old maxwell 970 is chugging along just fine. i don't play most new games (although i loved control) and my monitor is an old 1920x1200. i'll overclock the 970 until it explodes or just outright won't run something. that way i'll get this kind of performance much cheaper by the time i get there. plus i have another baby on the way....won't be much gaming in my future.

Back