Adult 6970 discussion Thread

They can increase the 5870's transistor count by 50% and just reach the size of the 580.

Except just about everyone knew they wouldn't and they didn't.

And on that front Nvidia doesn't have anywhere near 50% more memory bandwidth, more like 25% more than the 5870, a gap the 6970 could definitely close.

Not unless somehow only AMD can run the memory speed 50% faster. But again this isn't happening and NVidia will keep memory bandwidth advantage.

Every single shred of evidence right from the beginning, pointed out that the 580 would be faster than the 6970, and was obvious if people used logic instead of wishful thinking.

But many people didn't want to believe that so we get a lot of rationalizing why the 6970 will somehow defy logic.

Well, the original rumor was that it would have 1920 SPs. Seeing how well the 6870 did with even fewer SPs than the 5870, and the fact that the 6970 SPs would be even more efficient, it was natural to draw the conclusion that we were looking at a beast of a card that could have been 10-20% faster than the 580. Now that the 1920SPs rumor was invalidated, that's no longer the case obviously.

It confirms what most of us instantly knew since the delay. The 6970 is slightly slower than the 580. If it is within 5% though, $440.00 is a very attractive price.

The only thing it confirms is price, nothing more. Remember, we're talking about the same company that released the 4870 $100 cheaper than the slower GTX 260.

I didn't say they did, what I said is that just because it's 40nm doesn't mean that it can't be much faster. The 6970 *IS* rumored to be a larger chip, though.

Not unless somehow only AMD can run the memory speed 50% faster. But again this isn't happening and NVidia will keep memory bandwidth advantage.

AMD already has clocks its memory speeds faster than Nvidia.

And still doesn't need to be 50% faster, as the memory bandwidth gap as it stands right now has the 580 with 25% more bandwidth than the 5870. But again, memory bandwidth is something you either have enough of or you don't.

Every single shred of evidence right from the beginning, pointed out that the 580 would be faster than the 6970, and was obvious if people used logic instead of wishful thinking.

But many people didn't want to believe that so we get a lot of rationalizing why the 6970 will somehow defy logic.

There hasn't been jack shit in the way of evidence one way or the other. EVERYTHING is basically wishful thinking at this point. You wishfully think it will be slower, I wishfully think it will be faster.

I am not surprised at the performance if the card indeed ends up having 1536 sp's. I am kinda disappointed that the earlier rumours suggested 1920, which would have indeed made this card a beast. 1536 sp's make these numbers sound more realistic. If the card indeed has the lower number of shader's I think Ati should have released the specs of the card at the end of november so people that are expecting too much don't get their expectations hurt. I think it is kinda bad marketing on AMD's part. Let the specs leak so people don't expect this card to blow any other card out of water.

Really? You know why they made the design decision?

What if adding 50% more transistors increases power by 75%? What if increasing 50% more transistors only increased performance 20%? What if you need to go to a 384-bit bus just to achieve all that and your card now costs 2x to make? Would you still make that choice?

AMD doesn't have the resources/luxury to screw up like Nvidia.

I love all the armchair engineers who can second guess companies :rolleyes:

P.S. As with Barts, Cayman had many design alternatives I'm sure that AMD tested, so they know exactly what they're getting

There hasn't been jack shit in the way of evidence one way or the other. EVERYTHING is basically wishful thinking at this point. You wishfully think it will be slower, I wishfully think it will be faster.

So you are pretending all the leaks are just made up? I would call that denial.

tbh, all these benchies don't mean anything to me until the card is actually out. If its true, its true. If not, well than I get a good laugh.

The only good thing about the 69xx specs that it has 2GB of VRAM, but other than that everything looks kinda disappointing, and why the fuck did ATI decreased the shaders I do not know.

There are leaks that support both of our statements. The question is which is true. You clearly believe the leaks that support you, and I believe the ones that support me. Until the cards come out, this is all pure speculation.

There are leaks that support both of our statements. The question is which is true. You clearly believe the leaks that support you, and I believe the ones that support me. Until the cards come out, this is all pure speculation.
Then one of you ends up being right, then you nag on the other one for being wrong and not believing you.
As if one man's guess is more valuable than another right now.

It isn't like they are 50/50. It is like 90% for obviously slower than 580, and maybe 10% it might have a chance to catch it if you believe in unicorns.

All the leaks that look like official ATI slide deck, support it being a fair bit slower than 580.

All the leaks show it being 256 bus, Nearly same Z-Stencil/Rops as Cypress. None of this indicates a big boost.

About the only dispute among leaks is the SP counts. This alone wouldn't be enough to indicate a 580 beating monster given the Cypress level components of the rest of the chip.

So no the leaks don't support both.

(this is all pure speculation.)

Yep.. I havn't seen one leak using Cat 10.12

(this is all pure speculation.)

Yep.. I havn't seen one leak using Cat 10.12

Well, the guys in Germany are benching retail cards, so that's not really speculation any longer. Likewise, they are using the drivers that are packaged with the cards, so while there might be some gains to be had with the 10.12s, it's not like they are using intentionally crippled drivers or anything.

VR-ZONE has a link to one of the online stores listing the 6970 for 450 and 6950 for 350. If those prices are right then 6950 should be able to match the gtx 570/480. I have never seen ati release a slower card and priced it closer to a faster nvidia card, they just dont ask for the same amount as nvidia for slower performance. If that is indeed the case then fail for ati this time around.

Yeah, the pricing and the performance don't seem to match up very well right now.

[align=center]游戏性能平均超越GTX480 15%[/align][align=center]DX11性能大幅度提升[/align][align=center]
T2lSRwXltXXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align][align=center]6970 也是采用均热板设计,尺寸比580更大,此图可以看到均热板的抽真空嘴[/align][align=center]
T2NCdwXaNbXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align][align=center]正面写真[/align]
T2_mdwXX0bXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg

[align=center]背面写真,本大爷已经把10颗螺丝,起开了
[/align][align=center]
T20SNwXl8XXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align][align=center]风扇拆下来后的 背面细节 [/align][align=center]
T2wmNwXm0XXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
T25CJwXn0XXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
T2lSJwXXFaXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align][align=center]
T2tShwXXhbXXXXXXXX_!!639655088.jpg
[/align]

All the leaks that look like official ATI slide deck, support it being a fair bit slower than 580.

All the leaks show it being 256 bus, Nearly same Z-Stencil/Rops as Cypress. None of this indicates a big boost.

Wrong, ROPS got doubled up on performance internally. Same count, but twice the power.

And the leaks also say 15% faster than the GTX 480 for the 6970 - so that's a "fair bit" slower than the 580?

Sounds like selective reading to me

Nice try, but it would mean the dozen+ leaked benches are fakes. Incredibly unlikely. It's either that or AMD's crippled driver theory ;)

The evidence is just too overwhelming at this point. I think most of AMD's resources have been on Fusion the last year, that is their baby.

Took a look at semiaccurate - nearly nothing about the 69xx cards. That's very unusual - normally he'd have had a ton of articles about how much better they are then the nvidia equivalent.

Anyone remember the interview with Powercolor where they said the 6900 series are 30-50% faster than the cards they replace? That was exactly one month ago and drivers might be better now.

Those people A had the cards on hand because they're building custom solutions, B they aren't trying to get page views to make money like leak sites.

Relax everyone, 40% puts it equal to the 580, 30% slower, 50% faster.

So are these suckers getting released in NA today? Or are we still up in the air about that one too? I've heard everything from 13th to 15th to 13th in NA and 15th in EU.

So are these suckers getting released in NA today? Or are we still up in the air about that one too? I've heard everything from 13th to 15th to 13th in NA and 15th in EU.

Supposedly, the NDA is the 15th.

Wrong, ROPS got doubled up on performance internally. Same count, but twice the power.

And where are the tests that show that ?

ZerazaX said:
And the leaks also say 15% faster than the GTX 480 for the 6970 - so that's a "fair bit" slower than the 580?

The leaks that say "15% faster" come from supposed AMD marketing slides, which usually have best case scenarios. The actual leaked performance numbers, put it roughly in the GTX 480/GTX 570 territory.

That has to be fake, no way they would compare a brand new next generation VideoCard to something like 2 generations ago.

That would be like GM saying, hey look at our brand new 2013 C7 Corvette, it beats the fuck out of the 1985 Ford Mustang :rolleyes:

That has to be fake, no way they would compare a brand new next generation VideoCard to something like 2 generations ago.

That would be like GM saying, hey look at our brand new 2013 C7 Corvette, it beats the fuck out of the 1985 Ford Mustang :rolleyes:

So far there have been a set of black slides that look like legit AMD slides and the fake looking joker white slides. One of the early white slides for the 6970 actually had NVidia logos instead of AMD ones. :D

And where are the tests that show that ?

The leaks that say "15% faster" come from supposed AMD marketing slides, which usually have best case scenarios. The actual leaked performance numbers, put it roughly in the GTX 480/GTX 570 territory.

Which leaked performance numbers are you talking about? The PowerColor 6970?

I am seeing far better results than this Powercolor card!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17991807&postcount=327

it makes scence if your going after the owners of a 85 mustang, showing them what they are missing out on.

its just an add marketing the owners of gtx 260 and gtx 295 cards, seeing these cards were popular sellers in 2008 and knowing 2 years is about the time most people will upgrade.

Back