Adult 6970 discussion Thread

l88bastard

2[H]4U
This last 6970 thread got closed because of the typical petty fanboi crap, so please people lets not have that again.

I come to the [H]ard forum for most of my computer info and do not want to have to go to other sub-par forums to discuss a new video card. This is the video card section and we should be able to talk about one of the latest and greatest cards here in a civilized manor.

I am going to get a 6970, BECAUSE I NEED to run a 5 monitor setup on one card and the 6970 SEEMS like it is going to be the most powerful single GPU option for my use. Currently, I have 3 dell U2410s & two HC3800 projectors on an eyefinity 6 5870 and I am particularly interested in if there has been any news about that display port adapter that will allow multiple display ports to be daisy chained, so I can continue to run all five displays off of one card.

Last edited:
Is this thread supposed to be ironic? I'm not down with the whole hipster thing.

I finally have a source of income and want to buy the best single GPU card out there. I hope that AMD can pull ahead of the 580, because that means more performance for me. If AMD keeps up their pricing strategy hopefully the prices on both cards will go down regardless of which performs better. I'm going to be traveling for the holidays so will probably hold off on buying until January, which will give the prices time to balance. Thinking back I almost regret not pulling the trigger on a 580 on release day, but hindsight is 20/20. Here's to a good year in gaming.

6970 is going to rape everything nvidia has for like fity years!

Nu UHH!! The GTX 580 pwns everything AMD! :p

/troll

Srsly, I was prolly going to get a 69x0, but they've taken too long to come out. I'm upgrading for Christmas and unfortunately AMD missed the boat for it :(.

Won't OP be waiting a while for a 6 DP version 6970 still?

Sad to see so many sarcastic posts already in a thread that was made to stay on target. Anyway, I am building my first pc and am waiting to see the performance of the 69x0 before I decide on going AMD or Nvidia. I'm actually quite surprised that the "release date" is only a few days from now and there aren't any reviews online yet. Is it typical for pc components to not have reviews and more in depth previews before release?

Sad to see so many sarcastic posts already in a thread that was made to stay on target. Anyway, I am building my first pc and am waiting to see the performance of the 69x0 before I decide on going AMD or Nvidia. I'm actually quite surprised that the "release date" is only a few days from now and there aren't any reviews online yet. Is it typical for pc components to not have reviews and more in depth previews before release?

Usually reviews drop on release day, timed with NDA lift, that is the norm.

But there normally performance leaks ahead of time, hasn't been the case with this launch. We don't even know the official specs, so much misinformation going around.

It depends on when the embargo / NDA dates are lifted, and how much the fab workers can scoop to toss on chip hell, leak to other sources, etc.

Isn't whining about "fanboi crap" and then saying you will blindly buy an upcoming product "no questions asked" in the same post the definition of trolling?

Edit: Nice caps, that's maturity. Where did I mention nvidia?

Kinda what I thought, but meh ....

Yes, so as I was saying. The 6970 supports up to six displays as long as there is an adapter for the display ports. Has anybody found out anymore about those adapters?

lets try and keep this one on topic....the OP asked a legitimate question....there is a lot of knowledge among the users here, put it to good use and help the man out

lets try and keep this one on topic....the OP asked a legitimate question....there is a lot of knowledge among the users here, put it to good use and help the man out

Thanks Crosshairs, I modified my original post as it seemed like it was misunderstood. Hopefully, it will be back on track now.

I haven't heard anything else about those adapters. They maybe released along with the 6970.
It remains to be seen but AMD always has something a little extra at the time of launch.

I remember seeing a 6870 running 5 to 6 monitors with that DP daisy connector.

Look closely at the green sticker :)

lowspeed6970.jpg

Note that it also says Dec 12th, 2010. I thought the NDA elapses on the 15th? I've been wondering if AMD is using gimped drivers to enforce the NDA. You can't leak benchmarks if the cards doesn't have proper software, and AMD can simultaneously release real drivers on the 12th to all reviewers (whereas they can't control shipping times).

Yeah, that would be such a devious and clever way to control leaks.

Mainly, leaks come from the reviewers, of which there are too many and have little to lose from leaking info. This might control leaks from them, but third party manufacturers building their custom boards must have real drivers. They also have much to lose in case of leaks though, but by no means are they air-tight. Has there been any revealing info or off the cuff remarks from them?

Looks to me like they are playing with the bios. Perhaps they have a bios with the 1536SP which they label slow card and the full glory of Cayman(1920SP bios) is kept behind closed doors at this point. :D I can't wait. With rumors saying it'll be positioned to compete with GTX 570 I'm assuming in price this looks like a real win win scenario here.

I hope that thing will fit in a shuttle without the use of a chainsaw! :p Kinda wanting to do a sff i7 build with this one or the 5970, depending on the prices at the time of the build.

Did anyone post any info here about the dual user selectable BIOS? If not, here you go:
BIOS selection switch. The card features a pair of BIOS chips with one BIOS designed specifically for extreme cooling that 'fixes' cold boot, cold slow and thermal shutdown bug issues

- You can adjust the power of your card in the overdrive tab by 20% up or down.
- 250W is the maximum board consumption, but the non-OC power consumption is 190/200W.
- Cayman can actually clock almost as flexible as any modern CPU, so it can run at 650 MHz or 800 MHz during benchmarking if you enable Powertune

People at xtremesystems are calling it "the clitoris" LOL
switchpdfom24.png

People at xtremesystems are calling it "the clitoris" LOL

:D

Does this mean the power numbers are confirmed at least? I wonder what kind of power connection the 6990 will have to unlock their true potential, first 3X 8pin!

Update:

It appears that our usually well informed source failed us, and forwarded a photoshopped roadmap. So, we plainly got served. We are in the process of gathering more reliable info on Cayman performance and we will write an update as soon as we get something worthwhile. It will clearly end up quite a bit faster and we apologize for the inconvenience.

So I88bastard has 3 monitors with displayport connections at 1920x1200 res and 2 projectors with HDMI ports at 1920x1080 resolution.
All this is currently working with his 5870 Eyefinity 6.

The HD 6000 series has 2 displayport 1.2 connections, 1 HDMI and 2 DVI connections.
You could run the projectors off the HDMI and DVI port, then run the DP monitors off the first DP connection and the other 2 monitors would need a hub.

The displayport 1.1 hubs only support 3x 1280x1024 resolutions.

I think the only current solution out there is the matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition for $229 on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106021

The Display port 1.2 hubs are expected to be out in 2011 for around $150.

How are you using your current setup I88bastard? I can't figure out what you would do with 2 projection screens and 3 24" monitors.

Does this mean the power numbers are confirmed at least? I wonder what kind of power connection the 6990 will have to unlock their true potential, first 3X 8pin!
Antilles (HD6990) will still consume less than 300W. You do not double power consumption when adding an extra GPU because you don't double up on the components. This should be obvious to people by now. The increase in power consumption between Cypress XT(HD5870) and Hemlock (HD5970) is ~38%.

Antilles (HD6990) will still consume less than 300W. You do not double power consumption when adding an extra GPU because you don't double up on the components. This should be obvious to people by now. The increase in power consumption between Cypress XT(HD5870) and Hemlock (HD5970) is ~38%.

I stand corrected. Is that 38% including the built in voltage increase option (to get it to run like 5870s, not 5850s)?

I apologize to the OP for slightly derailing his thread. This info might be of some help.
The HD6000 series of cards have 2 DisplayPort 1.2 connectors which allow devices to be daisy chained so they will be able to support up to 6 displays.

imageviewphpd.jpg

What is the current speculation on the 6900s?

Last I heard the release date was Dec.15 and the 6950 was:
1536 stream processors, 800 MHz core speed and 1GB of 5 GBps memory.

For the 6970 it was:
1920 stream processors, 880 MHz core speed and 2GB of 5.5GBPS memory.

I guess the dual graphics engines will give it the biggest performance boost.

Looks to me like they are playing with the bios. Perhaps they have a bios with the 1536SP which they label slow card and the full glory of Cayman(1920SP bios) is kept behind closed doors at this point. :D I can't wait. With rumors saying it'll be positioned to compete with GTX 570 I'm assuming in price this looks like a real win win scenario here.

But why would you release a slow card to reviewers, while keeping the "full" card to yourselves? Unless you plan on launching the 1920 shader part as another card (6980 or something) which seems unlikely. You might want leaks to show poor performance, but you would definitely want reviewers to have a full speed card with enough time to conduct a review.

But why would you release a slow card to reviewers, while keeping the "full" card to yourselves? Unless you plan on launching the 1920 shader part as another card (6980 or something) which seems unlikely. You might want leaks to show poor performance, but you would definitely want reviewers to have a full speed card with enough time to conduct a review.

Hint: Both 6970 and 6950 use the same PCB. They also did it to stop or identify who leaks information. Reviewers are the worst offenders when it comes to leaks. Remember how other sites jump the gun and publish reviews early ahead of every other site because they are fighting for your clicks/ad views.

Maybe they are trying to keep leaks from getting out about their true performance. There is still 5 days from launch so technically they could email the proper bios tonight or tomorrow and have you flash them before the review. Or the card shown could be the 6950. Who knows for sure at this point

OH funny..

20% faster than GTX 480 but slower than GTX 580...

This guy is either bad at math or just terribly making FUDs up..

Everything about ATi/AMD from Fud have around 99% false rate..... :p

"Update:
It appears that our usually well informed source failed us, and forwarded a photoshopped roadmap. So, we plainly got served. We are in the process of gathering more reliable info on Cayman performance and we will write an update as soon as we get something worthwhile. It will clearly end up quite a bit faster and we apologize for the inconvenience."

So everything they said was FUD. The benchmarks might even be based on the 6950 for all we know. Imagine a 6950 being that much faster than a 480/570?! :eek:

Hint: Both 6970 and 6950 use the same PCB. They also did it to stop or identify who leaks information. Reviewers are the worst offenders when it comes to leaks. Remember how other sites jump the gun and publish reviews early ahead of every other site because they are fighting for your clicks/ad views.

So they internally refer to the 6950 as the "slow" card? Nice.

I understand the attempt to fight leaks, but I find it strange that the way you do that is to knowingly give those same reviewers crippled cards. At some point you have to give them the full speed card with the full speed BIOS so they can do their review, and as soon as you do that you open the door for leaks. What does giving them a crippled card early do for you? Sure it might sow disinformation, but wouldn't a better solution be to just not send out cards until the point when you would release the full speed BIOS? Having a card 2 weeks before release doesn't do a reviewer much good if he has to wait until 3 days before release to actually do the review after he gets the real BIOS.

wouldn't a better solution be to just not send out cards until the point when you would release the full speed BIOS? Having a card 2 weeks before release doesn't do a reviewer much good if he has to wait until 3 days before release to actually do the review after he gets the real BIOS.

Reviewers are all over the world, shipping the full version would give reviewers that live geographically closer several days to over a week's advantage to do their reviews and publish them.

I want it to own. It will be my Christmas present. need to upgrade from my 1gb 5870. Eyefinity rocks.

So I88bastard has 3 monitors with displayport connections at 1920x1200 res and 2 projectors with HDMI ports at 1920x1080 resolution.
All this is currently working with his 5870 Eyefinity 6.

The HD 6000 series has 2 displayport 1.2 connections, 1 HDMI and 2 DVI connections.
You could run the projectors off the HDMI and DVI port, then run the DP monitors off the first DP connection and the other 2 monitors would need a hub.

The displayport 1.1 hubs only support 3x 1280x1024 resolutions.

I think the only current solution out there is the matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition for $229 on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106021

The Display port 1.2 hubs are expected to be out in 2011 for around $150.

How are you using your current setup I88bastard? I can't figure out what you would do with 2 projection screens and 3 24" monitors.

I am doing this with all of them :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfvK9f9eMI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWm9PtzWvko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-LNm60np9U&feature=related

Back