Adobe to Kill Shockwave in April

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Mar 11, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Adobe has announced that Adobe Shockwave for Windows has been discontinued and will no longer be available for download after April 9, 2019. Companies with existing Enterprise licenses for Adobe Shockwave will continue to receive support until the end of their current contracts. Adobe discontinued Shockwave player due to interactive content moving to mobile friendly platforms such as HTML5 Canvas and Web GL.

Adobe Shockwave is a browser-based multimedia platform for interactive applications and video games. Retiring the Shockwave player for Windows is the last step in a multi-year process: Adobe Director, an authoring tool for Shockwave content, was discontinued on February 1, 2017 and the Shockwave player for macOS was discontinued on March 1, 2017. Adobe continues to offer a rich set of content creation tools through Creative Cloud, including Adobe Animate for authoring interactive content for multiple platforms, such HTML5 Canvas, WebGL, Flash/Adobe AIR, and others.

2. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Should have been put out of its misery 5 years ago but I'll take what I can get.

3. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Please make this happen.

4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Shockwave is still in use? I thought it died a long time ago.... When does flash finally die?

5. tremortj

tremortj n00b

Bye Felicia!

DrezKill likes this.
  6. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

Didn't know it still existed. Better late than never.

7. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Will Shockwave be killed by an interactive Adobe WebGL killerbot?

8. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Microsoft, 1998: "We're in our pre-development cycle for Internet Explorer 6. Let's make a version of Internet Explorer that allows people to do anything within their web browser!"

Tech Media, 2004: "Internet Explorer 6 is non-standard, buggy, unsafe, non-secure, and perhaps the greatest turd ever coded into an application. It is the greatest threat to internet users currently in existence."

Adobe, 2005.1: "We bought Macromedia because we wanted PageMaker and Dreamweaver, and because we wanted to kill off FreeHand. But we also got Macromedia's Flash and Shockwave, and we've decided we're going to develop them into products that will allow people to do anything within their web browser!"

Microsoft, 2005.2: "Adobe, don't do it."

Adobe, 2005.3: "What could go wrong?"

Apple, 2010: "We will no longer allow Flash to run on iOS products or in our Safari browser. Adobe, even Microsoft told you it was a bad idea. May God save your soul."

United States Government, 2011: "So, Adobe, you'll give us Flash and Shockwave tools for free if we convert all of our government portals to use Flash, Acrobat, and Shockwave? Sure! The American people will love it!"

9. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

10. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Took them long enough.

11. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

An elaborate April fool's joke I bet

scojer likes this.
  12. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Pretty please, can Flash be next?

Denjoy and DrezKill like this.
  13. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

14. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

15. Arcygenical

Arcygenical Will Watercool for Crack

Had to check the dates on this post...

GoldenTiger and Domingow like this.
  16. Anarchist4000

Anarchist4000 [H]ard|Gawd

They've kept it around for compatibility along with a recommendation not to use it. Can't fault them for that, but yeah it needs to go.

17. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

I uninstall it everywhere I see it along with Flash and Air.

18. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

css grid should also be credited as a big improvement in web design/layout... took long enough to get something so simple in place, ffs...

19. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

Only government uses it probably. I cannot wait for both to finally be put to rest with enough nails in the coffin that they will not be able to rise up.

20. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

As others have said...I'm surprised it still exists.I remember shockwave when i was designing websites 15 years ago

21. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Please put flash, java, and quicktime into the gas chamber while you're at it.

Youn likes this.
  22. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

^ yes to flash/java, I haven't really seen or needed quicktime in a many years, what's the problem with it that something like vlc or some random free editor can't solve?