Adobe to Kill Shockwave in April

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Adobe has announced that Adobe Shockwave for Windows has been discontinued and will no longer be available for download after April 9, 2019. Companies with existing Enterprise licenses for Adobe Shockwave will continue to receive support until the end of their current contracts. Adobe discontinued Shockwave player due to interactive content moving to mobile friendly platforms such as HTML5 Canvas and Web GL.

Adobe Shockwave is a browser-based multimedia platform for interactive applications and video games. Retiring the Shockwave player for Windows is the last step in a multi-year process: Adobe Director, an authoring tool for Shockwave content, was discontinued on February 1, 2017 and the Shockwave player for macOS was discontinued on March 1, 2017. Adobe continues to offer a rich set of content creation tools through Creative Cloud, including Adobe Animate for authoring interactive content for multiple platforms, such HTML5 Canvas, WebGL, Flash/Adobe AIR, and others.

Microsoft, 1998: "We're in our pre-development cycle for Internet Explorer 6. Let's make a version of Internet Explorer that allows people to do anything within their web browser!"

Tech Media, 2004: "Internet Explorer 6 is non-standard, buggy, unsafe, non-secure, and perhaps the greatest turd ever coded into an application. It is the greatest threat to internet users currently in existence."

Adobe, 2005.1: "We bought Macromedia because we wanted PageMaker and Dreamweaver, and because we wanted to kill off FreeHand. But we also got Macromedia's Flash and Shockwave, and we've decided we're going to develop them into products that will allow people to do anything within their web browser!"

Microsoft, 2005.2: "Adobe, don't do it."

Adobe, 2005.3: "What could go wrong?"

Apple, 2010: "We will no longer allow Flash to run on iOS products or in our Safari browser. Adobe, even Microsoft told you it was a bad idea. May God save your soul."

United States Government, 2011: "So, Adobe, you'll give us Flash and Shockwave tools for free if we convert all of our government portals to use Flash, Acrobat, and Shockwave? Sure! The American people will love it!"

css grid should also be credited as a big improvement in web design/layout... took long enough to get something so simple in place, ffs...

Shockwave is still in use? I thought it died a long time ago.... When does flash finally die?

Only government uses it probably. I cannot wait for both to finally be put to rest with enough nails in the coffin that they will not be able to rise up.

As others have said...I'm surprised it still exists.I remember shockwave when i was designing websites 15 years ago

Please put flash, java, and quicktime into the gas chamber while you're at it.

Reactions: Youn
like this
^ yes to flash/java, I haven't really seen or needed quicktime in a many years, what's the problem with it that something like vlc or some random free editor can't solve?

Back