• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Adobe Lightroom 3 Perfomance Issues

notsane

Gawd
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
583
Hi,

I am having sluggish performace in Adobe Lightroom 3. When I am exporting or rendering previews, the computer will lag very badly (2-3 second hangs) if I surf while it renders. It also lags pertty hard with the "loading" message every 10-15 photos when I am sorting even though I have standard size previews built at 25x16. I am working with 21Mpx RAW files from a 5D Mark II and am using the machine in my sig. I run the OS and LR cache on my SSD (which I keep less than 80% full by deleting the cache often). The photos live on my 640GB WD (which is half empty). You can see my CPU spikes to 100 quite often during render.

DO I need to upgrade something?

Ram?
SSD?
2nd SSD?
Disk Array?
Hexacore?

d956d810.jpg

85e21722.jpg
 
Run the LR cache on a different drive, not the SSD, and see what happens.
 
what speed is your 640GB drive?

I notice a tremendous difference when working in LR3 on files on the SSD vs on the HDD prior to going with a raptor.

Previously I was running a 150gb raptor and a 500gb WD caviar. both slow by SSD and velociraptor standards.

LR doesn't work like photoshop with the cache. it's not a scratch disk so it can reside on teh same drive.

Is your 640gb internal or external?
 
what speed is your 640GB drive?

I notice a tremendous difference when working in LR3 on files on the SSD vs on the HDD prior to going with a raptor.

Previously I was running a 150gb raptor and a 500gb WD caviar. both slow by SSD and velociraptor standards.

LR doesn't work like photoshop with the cache. it's not a scratch disk so it can reside on teh same drive.

Is your 640gb internal or external?

The drive is a western digital 7200 rpm 2 platter 640GB design that is pretty darn fast. I may get a new SSD boot drive and move my LR cache to my intel SSD. Thanks for the tip about the cache!
 
Back
Top