Adding AS5

Hades16x

2[H]4U
Sorry to create so many of these but I want them to be in the right location.

Im waiting for my new bios to come from asus(P5N32-E SLI Plus) and im getting impatient... I overnighted it, 8 hours ago, and I have about 13 hours untill i recieve it.

When my system was running, I was noticing the NB/SB coolers were blazing hott. Anybody with this mobo have any info on keeping them cool, or are they designed to run that hott?

Would it be worth replacing the thermal pad with AS5?

Thanks,
Michael

Boot it, make sure it works ok etc.

Pull the heatpipes off, replace the factory crap with AS5. Replace the pushpins (save them) with real hardware. Put a fan on the nb with hot melt glue.

What do you recommend replacing the pins with? Threaded bolts and wingnuts? :D (I did that on my BP6 to mount my waterblocks snapped some of the socket 370 clips off - guess I was overzealous back then...)

#4-40 nylon screws (inserted from underneath the board) with nylon washer (just to distribute load and make sure the head of the screw does not deform and try to pull through the hole) on top a metal #4 flat washer on top of the HS/heatpipe mounting flange/ear a small spring another #4 flat washer a #4 split lock washer a #4 nut.

you can use all metal hardware as long as you get a plastic or fiber washer under the head of the screw to make absolutely certain it cannot short any traces.

the spring is the pain, Lowe's sells an assortment but only a couple in the whole package are usable. Ace hardware or other plain hardware stores (good ones) have little drawers of specialty hardware including small springs. You want a spring about 3/4 inch long and not too awful stiff. This provides a constant clamping force and allows everything to move a bit with the thermal expansion and contraction but yet retains clamping force. Assemble the hardware and screw the nut down until you compress the spring a bit, its really a question of "feel" as to how much to run the nut down. Don't over do it, the heatpipe should be snugly held against the chips so its not flopping around but you don't want to crush any chips either.

Find the springs first they will determine the length of screw you need. spring length + 1/2 inch should work for screw length and if you get nylon its easy to snip off any extra screw length and "messing" up the end of the screw threads when you cut it off flush with the top of the nut actually will help prevent it from loosening.

hmm wingnuts or at least knurled nuts (again the specialy hardware drawer) not a bad idea at all.

Oh yeah, I never thought about nylon screws! I use them in car stereo installations sometimes - I probably even have some in my toolbox. Very cool tip. Thanks a lot.

I'll definitely take pictures when I upgrade the mounting / thermal paste on my P5K.

Better use Ceramique on the chipsets plz....also when the heatsinks are hot means the thermal pad works doesn't it, as it transers the heat from the chipset to the heatsink...

Better place a fan on the NB and see what it does for stability and temps.....SB shouldn't be soo hot normally think it's the heat of the upper PWM that heatens it extra....

I made a fan shroud for my Striker board and the heatsinks are barely warm to touch and the SB stays cool too....

newshroud%20002.jpg

after applying the new AS5, is it better to keep the cpu at stock speeds until it breaks in?

Back