Adaptec RAID-3085 woes

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
My RAID-3085 started beeping... said a drive was bad. Whatever. Array was online. It's a 4-drive Samsung F1 RAID-10. Anyway. Turned off the computer and turned it back on and the array is offline, even though it recognizes all 4 disks. I can tell it to force online but it tells me to pull the mirrors off and tells me it's a last resort, etc.

What the hell? I don't believe it that I have a bad drive in the first place, but why is it so against going back online?

I've never seen that (years since I played with raid 10) but you might want to think about buying a 1TB drive for like $60-70 and just let it rebuild. RMA the old one and have a hotspare.

not even sure which one it claimed to be bad because it doesn't say that anymore, just says RAID is offline, yet it can read each drive just fine

Adaptec Storage Manager just (as far as I can figure out) says logical drive failed.

what kind of temps does the controller run? a lot of people don't have adequate airflow across that heatsink, and once it gets too hot, it will start beeping and behaving strange. it's criminal that adaptec doesn't ship them with a 40mm fan attached.

the only way to know for sure "what happened" is to examine the event logs of the card, but first thing would be to back up the data if you can, maybe buy a 2Tb drive if you don't have any free space anywhere.

if it's critical data and you're uncomfortable with the idea of experimenting then open a case with ask.adaptec.com and they'll instruct you on the procedure to send then all the logs from ASM, and will analyze and tell you next steps.

I have no extra cooling on it though the case temps aren't bad... I've been running it for maybe a year now with no prior issues. The data is not super critical but it's important enough that I REALLY want to get it back.

Following arrays have missing or rebuilding or failed members and are degraded:
Array#0-RAID-0
Following arrays have missing required members and cannot be configured:
Array#0-RAID-0
Following arrays have missing or rebuilding or failed members and are degraded
Array#250-RAID-1
Following arrays have missing required members and cannot be configured:
Array#250-RAID-1
Array#252-RAID-1

Now it says all of my drives have failed. But it can still read/scan them all in the disk utilities in the controller configuration. It also lists them in the bootup but then says the RAID is offline. SMART error shows as no for all of them.

And, yeah, the heatsink is HOT.

Last edited:
case temps aren't telling us much. if you right-click on the controller card in Adaptec Storage Manager, and click Properties, there will be a status tab that shows the temperature. Running it for a year with no prior issues doesn't mean it couldn't be an issue now. Excess heat stresses components over time- a "silent killer" in some cases. I don't believe that's your issue but I've seen first hand how these Adaptec cards can behave erratically when they run too hot due to lack of airflow. I had a 5805 that dropped drives because the chip was running too hot.

the fact it says ALL the drives have failed points to an issue other than the drives, so try to get some temporary airflow on the heatsink (80mm fan next to it) so you can rule heat as an issue during troubleshooting. and if you haven't already done so turn the system off for 20 minutes and back on to see if there's any difference. i'll repeat, open a case at ask.adaptec.com or call them on the phone tomorrow, because there are more in-depth logs that Adaptec Storage Manager can generate so you can send it to them - ASM will create a ZIP file containing a bunch of low level logs and they'll instruct you how to do it. I don't have enough experience with RAID10 arrays on Adaptec cards to give advice on next things to try.

Ahh, didn't know it said that.

I had the computer off for at least half an hour and it didn't change. I had the computer ON all night and now ASM says it recognizes all 4 physical drives but the logical drive is still "failed." All 4 drives for it are "present." The physical drives say "optimal" next to them (all of them say this).

Controller temperature is a rather high 75c, but it says normal. Edit: I looked it up and Adaptec says it's good 'til 100c. Maybe I'll get an old video card or chipset heatsink/fan combo for it... if it's even any good anymore.

Pretty sure I don't have any sort of warranty on the thing. I bought it from Ebay.

Last edited:
should I try to force it online?

Edit: I did force it online without removing any drives and it seems to work so far. It even says optimal in ASM. I guess the question will be whether the card decides to play nice after I reboot next.

Last edited:
The question is whether you'll have the smarts to back up all your data right now or not. When unexplainable things start happening, that's the first thing to do. Remember RAID is about redundancy and speed, not a backup plan.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen, because I don't have enough non-RAID space for that. Though I did back up the more important stuff.

Back