Activision Blizzard CEO Says AI Will Have "Profound Impact" On Games

erek

[H]F Junkie
Nice

"The executive went on to say that AI could help make some of Activision's more involved games, like Call of Duty, become easier for people to pick up and get comfortable with.

"If you look at games like Call of Duty we have people playing a fraction of what they can play because there's a lot there and it's complex to learn," Kotick said.

In the next 5-7 years, AI will have an "extraordinary" impact on gaming, Kotick said. He did not, however, discuss any potential impact on teams or personnel. Many are wondering if the rise of AI could lead to layoffs.

Kotick is not the only gaming executive who believes AI could have a major impact on the video game business. EA CEO Andrew Wilson recently spoke enthusiastically about the potential for AI to play a major role in the world of video games going forward, while also admitting that some jobs might be lost or displaced.

Activision Blizzard is currently trying to sell itself to Microsoft for $68.7 billion. The UK's Competition & Markets Authority recently blocked the sale, but Activision Blizzard and Microsoft are both filing appeals... with the help of the Queen's lawyer."

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...d-impact-on-games-and-heres-how/1100-6514114/

I have seen some awesome tech demos for AI-generated zones, open area population, quest, activity generation, and enemy/bot AI.
It was some very cool stuff if you are looking at games as a service.
I have also seen some very interesting takes on using AI for debugging because you can train them to play your game, and they will do the same boring shit day in and day out for weeks and months 24/7 and give you a breakdown of areas with FPS dips, textures not loading correctly, clipping issues, broken quests/activities/events/dialog the works.

So they watched the modded Skyrim video too?
Blizzard and Activision staff have been very open in sharing the project flowcharts of what they can and can’t finish as critical staff quit or retire. Besides AI doesn’t file harassment complaints (yet…) so managers can get their rocks off to chat bots while the rest of the staff gets their work done un-harassed.

Larian studios has been doing some good work with AI test systems and what I have seen there has been interesting and that demo was 2 years ago I imagine it has advanced significantly since then.

Besides AI doesn’t file harassment complaints (yet…)
That doesn't matter, there will be some self righteous sjws who say allowing bad behavior in games promotes it in real life.
Funny how in 15 years we went from conservatives wanting to ban games, to now ultra left wing maniacs wanting to do the same.

That doesn't matter, there will be some self righteous sjws who say allowing bad behavior in games promotes it in real life.
Funny how in 15 years we went from conservatives wanting to ban games, to now ultra left wing maniacs wanting to do the same.
Not sure the point you are trying to make but I believe that workers should be able to go to work and do their jobs regardless of what it is with out fear of a random dick being draped down their shoulder.

Not sure the point you are trying to make but I believe that workers should be able to go to work and do their jobs regardless of what it is with out fear of a random dick being draped down their shoulder.
Unless it is an AI dick I made a completely unrelated point to your post.

Unless it is an AI dick I made a completely unrelated point to your post.
Part of the lawsuit claimed Blizz managers were flopping dicks on staff on the work floor as a “joke”. So literally teabagging people in the middle of their work day.

Part of the lawsuit claimed Blizz managers were flopping dicks on staff on the work floor as a “joke”. So literally teabagging people in the middle of their work day.
That still has nothing to do with what M76 said...

Games written by AI, play tested by AI, and finally - "played" with frames generated by AI.
What a future.

I play EA FIFA game now and then. I really hoped AI would make the game more fun like the teammates can make better off-ball run. But instead, EA uses AI to script the game to an unbearable level and push people to spend more money to buy better cards.

So in the end of the day, it all depends on how the big companies use the technology. Based on what we have seen, most likely AI will make games more addictive instead of more fun.

So they watched the modded Skyrim video too?
Underrated comment. I've spent time in the interior of game developers and seen how bandwagon-ey things often are. Some new hype game concept comes out and makes headlines and game directors start getting emails from C-level management: "we should add that to our games". It's cringe inducing.

And AI is peak bandwagon and corporate FOMO now, so expect a lot of "AI super-enemy technology" marketing while not even necessarily innovating anything.

The greatest invention of our time and Activison wants to use it to dumb down games...

AI, right up until it figures out how lazy and easy humans are and it will program games like in the old days; slow, hitches/glitches, need more power.

Back