Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I bought an HP ZR2440w and it doesn't have VGA. It seems I can get one of these with VGA for about the same price, if not a few bucks more than the HP. I'm not too picky, I bought the HP because I have an HP PC. Basically I am wondering if this will this work fine with the VGA input at native resolution?

I bought an HP ZR2440w and it doesn't have VGA. It seems I can get one of these with VGA for about the same price, if not a few bucks more than the HP. I'm not too picky, I bought the HP because I have an HP PC. Basically I am wondering if this will this work fine with the VGA input at native resolution?

There's a reason these monitors don't have VGA. I can't tell you for sure if it'd "work", but even if you'd get a picture out, it'd look HORRIBLE.

Please, no.

While some people *Have* made these work at 1440p over VGA, from what I can tell you need a very high quality cable and a very capable signal source. Something tells me the HP you bought comes with neither, plus even if it did there really are no guarantees with tech that old. I wouldn't try it if I were you.

I saw that ebay also has a 23' Catleap monitor that does 1080p, anyone know if it's any good?

It is exactly the same idea as the 27Inch panels (A- panel, cheap construction) but you don't actually save any money with it because 23' IPS monitors in the US cost almost the same amount. So nobody bothers with it, but there isn't any big issue with it.

It is exactly the same idea as the 27Inch panels (A- panel, cheap construction) but you don't actually save any money with it because 23' IPS monitors in the US cost almost the same amount. So nobody bothers with it, but there isn't any big issue with it.

Thanks for the reply. Just have one more question: Does the 23' model use a glossy or matte coating?

just saw a new monitor coming in from overlord computer. looks to be a better panel and at a decent price. think they have a facebook as well (I think that is where i saw initial pricing). should be an interesting addition for those of us too scared to buy off ebay and take the risk on a defective panel

$320 for an A grade panel? I paid $60 more than that for my A- Crossover..
Maybe I'll just keep this until October when the 120hz ones come out, then buy one of them and put this on ebay :D.

Maybe I'll just keep this until October when the 120hz ones come out.

Can we confirm this?

Also, has anyone used a HDMI switch box with one of these screens? Im currently using a switch box to switch from one pc to the other because my Dell 2209wa only has one input. Has one tried going from PC>HDMI CABLE>HDMI SWITCH BOX> HDMI CABLE>HDMI TO DVI CONVERTER>DVI INPUT. <that mess is how im going to be using my shimian if I get one, is anyone using this setup? Would I still be able to hit 2560x1440 rez using a switch box?
Thanks.

I take it a store that offers a "perfect pixel" option means the other ones they sell are confirmed rejects. As in, when the ebay listing says it's been tested, they mean they've taken out the perfect pixel ones to sell for higher.:p

Even *some* of the "perfect pixel" ones have pixels that aren't working.
As always YMMV...

For Everyone Looking for Good Cables
http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp#132704
Scroll Down
28iss9d.jpg

eh... over-sized Monoprice 24awg DVI-D cables for me... pricing is similar, and there is a cable sale on Aug. 2nd = 30% off of included products (sales are quite limited). MAYBE they will include a DVI-D cable in the sale.

That Overlord Computer store looks promising...I hope they're reliable.

There's a reason these monitors don't have VGA. I can't tell you for sure if it'd "work", but even if you'd get a picture out, it'd look HORRIBLE.

Please, no.

I have the $400 one from Microcenter. The picture looks surprisingly good over VGA. It's not as good as HDMI at the same res... but I could live with it if I had no choice.

That Overlord Computer store looks promising...I hope they're reliable.

I can't vouch for the company, but I know they are working with one of the 120hz.net admins to be 100% certain that the OC monitors WILL overclock as claimed to 120Hz, given the right GPU/Cables etc.

But I know nothing about the actual company, so it is possible that the build quality will be crap etc. Nobody knows, but we hope to find out soon! At least the pricing looks pretty decent.

The Overlord Tempest X270OC cant be any less then the 120hz.net model. I mean why would 120hz.net work with a company that is going to undersell them at price point?

A few things.

1) 120Hz.net doesn't sell anything. They middleman (at no profit) for GreenSum, who sells stuff from Witech (The people who manufacture the Catleaps). So if 120Hz.net sold not 1 more monitor, they wouldn't mind from a business standpoint (the admins would be very disappointed, but that's different).

2) After looking at it, Overlord Computer is actually just the guys from 120Hz.net, only they are now going to make the monitors themselves, and sell them for profit in the US. So they can happily undercut themselves (which wasn't making money anyways) and use the current website as a customer base & forums.

From what I can tell, they won't beat Ebay prices for the non-OC models, but they will beat the microcenter price for those Aurias and they will be grade A panels (not A-) so thats not too bad. And in October they will be the (only) place for 120Hz 1440p IPS monitors. Hopefully with less screen issues and more availability!

just saw a new monitor coming in from overlord computer. looks to be a better panel and at a decent price. think they have a facebook as well (I think that is where i saw initial pricing). should be an interesting addition for those of us too scared to buy off ebay and take the risk on a defective panel

LOL @ "better panel", the clowns from 120hz dot net trying to set up their fake company to get a cut of the action as middlemen are getting in the exact same A- panels from korea that the sellers on ebay are peddling. and being end users these guys dont have any capital so they'll expect everyone to pre-order and then will be at the mercy of their korean source again just like they are now in trying to sell marked up monitors with the 120hz capable PCB's.

sorry but this festering trend of hobbyists trying to get in for a quick buck do crack me up.

Last edited:
A few things. 1) 120Hz.net doesn't sell anything. They middleman (at no profit) for GreenSum

No profit? Heh. Out of the kindness of their hearts, fronting their own money just to help anonymous people on the internet.

After looking at it, Overlord Computer is actually just the guys from 120Hz.net, only they are now going to make the monitors themselves, and sell them for profit in the US.

I can see it now, two guys sitting in the garage making monitors, with no particular expertise other than 6 months ago they happened to buy a Q270 and "it worked pretty good".

No offense to you but let's not kid ourselves or believe all the propaganda they're pumping out over there.

Last edited:
I can see it now, two guys sitting in the garage making monitors, with no particular expertise other than 6 months ago they happened to buy a Q270 and "it worked pretty good".

Hehe... well of course we'd wait to see what kind of product they're able to make.

It's not like they've become a trusted seller w/o actually having sold anything.

But yes, thank you for that mental image. That could very well be the case...

I can see it now, two guys sitting in the garage making monitors, with no particular expertise other than 6 months ago they happened to buy a Q270 and "it worked pretty good"..

worked out well for gates and jobs didnt it? :p

Forgive my ignorance but pretty sure no american company has any expertise they all order others to make their crap for them. Apple, Dell, HP, does not matter. There is no reason given the will and resources any idiot cannot order products custom made in Asia just like all the other useless american companies whom also just buy stuff then resell it for a profit.

I cant say how it will pan out but if they can order 120hz monitors and A+ panels we should be cheering them on for doing what no other US company with all its expertise had half a flucking brain to do on their own.

Am I willing to preorder ? No, but I will be watching it.

I cant say how it will pan out but if they can order 120hz monitors and A+ panels we should be cheering them on for doing what no other US company with all its expertise had half a flucking brain to do on their own.

But Microcenter has had these for months at $400... They're not necessarily using A+ panels, but the distinction doesn't make much difference most of the time.

Can someone show/explain the difference between the old and the new temperd glass models. Something about the new model not have the glass travel all the way to the edges or something..?....
I'm getting a temperd glass model this weekend and would really like to know what the differences are.

Forgive my ignorance but pretty sure no american company has any expertise they all order others to make their crap for them. Apple, Dell, HP, does not matter. There is no reason given the will and resources any idiot cannot order products custom made in Asia just like all the other useless american companies whom also just buy stuff then resell it for a profit.

Uhh, sorry, no, the sort of ignorance you display is, I'm afraid, unforgivable. "No expertise"? Seriously? Do you think Chinese and North Korean companies invented LCD panels? Perhaps you also think that Malaysian scientists invented the CPU, since that's where Intel's chips are made. I suppose you probably think that the Chinese, with all their "expertise", are the reason we have solar panels, as most of them are made there?

Quiz: What nation has led the world in manufacturing output every year since some time before world war two? I'll give you a hint, it isn't China.

Sheesh. Turn off "dancing with the stars" and crack a book once in a while.

Wait so what displays are made in America by American companies?

Wait so what displays are made in America by American companies?

You embarass me Rudy.. It is cost.. thats why.. Someone over there who puts his pride aside will do your job for less, they will build the factory for less, they will work 12 hours a day and not ask for overtime and just be thankful they have a job while millions are unemployed... Not better. It's the fact we demand so much money for our jobs and get mad when our raises aren't big enough. That is why outsourcing is so prevalent right now. We have plenty of intelligence over here, count up the nobel prizes.

You embarass me Rudy.. It is cost.. thats why.. Someone over there who puts his pride aside will do your job for less, they will build the factory for less, they will work 12 hours a day and not ask for overtime and just be thankful they have a job while millions are unemployed... Not better. It's the fact we demand so much money for our jobs and get mad when our raises aren't big enough. That is why outsourcing is so prevalent right now. We have plenty of intelligence over here, count up the nobel prizes.

It's hardly "pride". Due to currency differences and economic conditions $1000 per year will buy you about the same standard of living in other countries as $20000 gets you in the USA.

Am I willing to preorder ? No, but I will be watching it.[/QUOTE

Nosliw.. instead of going after me for saying there is a such thing as american pride..( I have a brother that hasn't had a job in 5 years that won't go work at K-mart and sell fishing poles because its beneath him..) which exists.. Why don't you go after Rudy which is what we should all be doing.. Anyways that was my last post that doesn't directly relate to monitors because I happened to like this thread until Rudy showed up.. And besides pride, thats exactly what I said, you just said it another way.. It's cheaper to make televisions over there period.

But Microcenter has had these for months at $400... They're not necessarily using A+ panels, but the distinction doesn't make much difference most of the time.
Microcenter has them?? under what brand name???

Can someone show/explain the difference between the old and the new temperd glass models. Something about the new model not have the glass travel all the way to the edges or something..?....
I'm getting a temperd glass model this weekend and would really like to know what the differences are.

The old ones have glass that are from edge to edge with black border under the glass. The newer ones have the plastic bezel over the glass to elimate the dusts. The older ones kinda looks like the Apple Cinema 27" LED if you want to get a good sense of what edge to edge glass is.

Post here when you get your monitor. You'll probably have a good chance of getting the newer model and I'm curious of what the new ones looks like. I have the older version and I really like it alot.

New player to the cheap 2560x1440 game it seems is coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/nixeus-27-inch-IPS-Vue-2560-1440/

Greenhorn Nixeus, perhaps better known for media streamers, has jumped headfirst into the display market with the 27-inch IPS Vue model boasting a 2,560 x 1,440 pixel WQHD resolution and priced at $430 -- around half what you'll pay for similar panels. The new model, which the company says will be released on August 21st, seems to be nicely specced with an LG S-IPS panel, true 8-bit color, 6ms refresh, DVI / DisplayPort / HDMI 1.4 connection options and full-portrait tilting. If you've been coveting more screen space and pixels, but don't want to be reduced to bread and water, it'll go up for pre-order soon.

nixius-27-inch-08-02-12-01-1343909130.jpg

New player to the cheap 2560x1440 game it seems is coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/nixeus-27-inch-IPS-Vue-2560-1440/

I saw that, but honestly at this point the Microcenter one is just a better deal IMO. Maybe if you don't have a Microcenter nearby...? Because you can get the Auria right now, and its already cheaper than this thing figures to be. The only issue with the Auria is a lot of people who *can't* get it to show a screen before the Operating System loads. The problem is these tech news sites like Engadget etc are really kinda out of the loop on some of these slightly obscure things, so now hundreds of people are gonna be like "zomg best deal ever" when they could just be buying an Auria...

And to everybody commenting on Overlord Computer: Wait, and see what happens. I'm fairly sure their monitors will be manufactured overseas, much like all the other ones, but I'm not sure all the hate is necessary. If you don't want their product, nobody is making you buy it. They are trying to provide something that you can't get anywhere else, so let them try.

The guy in the review of the new one says its not HDCP compatible. My Catleap is, and I think most of the tohers are as well. No HDCP compatibility is a bummer, especially when there are other options at a comparable price.

I saw that, but honestly at this point the Microcenter one is just a better deal IMO. Maybe if you don't have a Microcenter nearby...? Because you can get the Auria right now, and its already cheaper than this thing figures to be. The only issue with the Auria is a lot of people who *can't* get it to show a screen before the Operating System loads. The problem is these tech news sites like Engadget etc are really kinda out of the loop on some of these slightly obscure things, so now hundreds of people are gonna be like "zomg best deal ever" when they could just be buying an Auria...

And to everybody commenting on Overlord Computer: Wait, and see what happens. I'm fairly sure their monitors will be manufactured overseas, much like all the other ones, but I'm not sure all the hate is necessary. If you don't want their product, nobody is making you buy it. They are trying to provide something that you can't get anywhere else, so let them try.

I've got a MC about a 30m drive away, but I bought an Achieva Shimian off Ebay for $380 shipped a while back that is flawless and works great. Mostly posting that for others who may or may not be interested.

I'm betting we see more options in the 2560x1440 screens by X-mas, all well below the prices we're used to seeing, aka $800+

I'd definitely have to research it to be certain, but has anybody said any of the current crop of monitors aren't HDCP-friendly up to this point? Why would someone start now, so to speak?

Meanwhile, those prices just keep on creeping downward...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can anyone tell me if the Crossover will work with a mini-DP to dvi converter?
I have a 6950 with 4 displays and I'd like to have 2 of the crossovers on the mini-DP to dvi converter.

I've got a MC about a 30m drive away, but I bought an Achieva Shimian off Ebay for $380 shipped a while back that is flawless and works great. Mostly posting that for others who may or may not be interested.

I'm betting we see more options in the 2560x1440 screens by X-mas, all well below the prices we're used to seeing, aka $800+

Yeah, when I said "Maybe if you don't have a microcenter nearby" I meant a more generic "Maybe if an interested party can't get to a microcenter". W/e. Options are certainly good. Hopefully if we can get screens like this for $400 then manufacturers will be inclined to make better screens at $1000 (eg, 4K resolution or at least better than 1600p).

I'd definitely have to research it to be certain, but has anybody said any of the current crop of monitors aren't HDCP-friendly up to this point? Why would someone start now, so to speak?

Meanwhile, those prices just keep on creeping downward...

Wow. Thats quite a bit lower than I had realized.

EDIT: Crossover will work just fine with an mDP to DVI adapter provided the adapter is an ACTIVE, DUAL LINK DVI adapter. Not a passive single link one.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back