Abit IP35-E overclocking

Anyone had much luck with this board? I got one on the Newegg deal and an E3110 from buy.com and am looking to start overclocking this CPU.

I've looked on the Abit forums for a guide to overclocking with the IP35-E but no luck. Anyone familiar with what settings should be tweaked on this particular board for best overclocking results?

Thanks

Anyone had much luck with this board? I got one on the Newegg deal and an E3110 from buy.com and am looking to start overclocking this CPU.

I've looked on the Abit forums for a guide to overclocking with the IP35-E but no luck. Anyone familiar with what settings should be tweaked on this particular board for best overclocking results?

Thanks

It's pretty simple in terms of overclocking and tweaking, there really isn't much of a specific guide for this particular board... I have the same board and it runs at the specs in my sig.

The reason I ask is because my P5W DH Deluxe had a slew of settings that were recommended to be set to ensure the best overclock. Curious if this board is similar.

Sounds like I'll just start tweaking the FSB and VCore and see where I end up.

Just read up on some overclocking guides around the internet. Also one thing you should make sure of is that the PCIe bus speed is locked down to 100mhz. It should be by default, but you never know. I'm hoping to get that same CPU within the next couple of days if FedEx doesn't screw me over. Supposedly, the beta16 BIOS has added compatibility with the 45nm chips so if you are having problems and haven't gotten it flashed to beta16 yet, its worth a shot. Also, you may need to up the MCH voltage to get the FSB up to 400mhz, I had to.

I hope you enjoy reading :D....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147163 ...5000+ posts about the abit IP-35 pro, most suggestions should be the same for your board - I've been reading the thread from the beginning and there's some pretty helpful stuff in there if you feel like digging through all the posts.

and http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158650 ...haven't read this one but it's about your board, might be something in it. Or just search around different forums and google for your board, I'm sure you'll find something.

Here's exactly how I am doing 3.8GHz with a Q6600 G-0 + the IP35-E and because it works for me does not mean it would for you. Hardware OC = luck of the draw.

Stay on a 1:1 CPU|ram ratio to squeeze those last MHz out so, 400FSB should = DDR2 800. I am @ 423x9.

Memory-

Start relaxed, 5-5-5-15. You can tighten later when you are sure you are stable. tRFC should be 42 and no lower for the best stability. Make sure your ram is getting the proper voltage. If it supposed to have 2.0v set that, do not leave it on auto. Stay on 2T. If you want 4Gb ram go with 2 stick vs 4x 1Gb.

CPU Settings-

Vcore- 1.54v ( You best have damn good cooling, and you may want to go water. IMO 1.46v should get you 3.6GHz with a Q6600 G-0) For a Wolfdale stay between 1.36-1.40v max IMO.
*CPU VTT- 1.2375 *This is critical for quad OC
ICH- 1.60v
MCH- 1.33v(if you are only going 400x9 leave this @ stock voltage)
CPU GTLREF 67%
PCI-e 100 for best stability

Virtualization- disabled.

C1E and EIST are optional. Leave them on if they don't cause problems because they will help keep your rig cool.

Direct a small fan at your PWM heatsink area or mount a fan on it, if you care to bother.

I am using the Thermalright Ultra Extreme with Arctic silver 5 and quality 120mm fans. One is pushing air into the HS and the other pulling it out. I also lapped my HS base and the CPU for an added edge.

I have two 120mm Sharkoon Golfball Fans in push pull on my Thermalright ultra extreme. The fan facing the front of my case pushes air into the heatsink and the fan on the rear pulls air out. You may need to place something akin to silicon noise dampeners on the rear fan to stop it from brushing the HS.

HS-
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-ultra-120-extreme-cpu-cooler-p-16580.html

These are the fans I'm using-

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20832

I secured them with zipties and control them with a Sunbeam rheobus-

http://www.pcextreme.com/catalog/sku/bus-54.html

A brief detail on lapping-
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=82

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=4735

You may google "lapping your CPU" if you don't find the above links useful enough.

Also connect your components to good clean power, or that is a quality PSU. That has helped me more with overclocking than you might think.

If you're using Vista get SP1 RC, and read this-

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238

Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

I'm using a Zalman 9500-Cu for cooling. I ran Orthos overnight after I got the new CPU and RealTemp reported that neither core went over 36C during those 8 hours so my cooling should be adequate. I'm also running Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 RC. My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 650W.

Once I get some free time I'll see what I can do with this chip and report back.

I was going to say after tomorrow night or Thursday night depending on how tomorrow goes I might be able to tell you something as my IP35-e will arrive tomorrow to replace my non-overclocking P35-DS3L.

For the most part, overclocking is just messing with things to find what works. It's how I've always done it. Keep changes small and do them one at a time to find out if it works for you. If it doesn't, it's a simple matter of changing one setting back.

Also, do some searching on a specific settings for your BIOS. The same thing can be named differently on different boards.

Blacklash. I didn't realize I needed to adjust the VTT and the CPUGTL REF.

I couldn't get above 3.0 before on my Abit IP-35e and quad Q6600 GO stepping so far.

I'd like to read more on this specific motherboards overclock.

Do you have any other reference threads to draw upon?

Overclocking is indeed experimentation. People could need more or less voltage to do what I have done. Some may get a Q6600 that simply can not OC to 3.8 regardless of voltage.

I have found certain things to be best when searching for max MHz on i975x, P965, P35 and X38.

Staying on a 1:1 CPU ram ratio is advisable when seeking your limit.

Keeping your ram at very relaxed timings would be another. You can always tighten it later. You may also try something other than 1:1.

When dealing with DDR 800 and higher keep your tRFC at 42 or greater while tuning for stability.

Manually set your ram to its proper voltage. Some motherboards will default it to 1.85v. If you have high performance ram that requires 2.0v or more you may get a C1 error in this case. You could try booting with one stick and elevating your voltage where it needs to be if this happens. You could also keep a dirt cheap stick of ram around that runs on 1.85v for emergencies.

Increasing PCI-e above 100 may net some performance gains and may decrease stability when approaching your particular system max. I've never found it worth it. I'd rather raw max CPU MHz.

For Quads I've found proper CPU GTLREF and CPU VTT to be critical when pushing your FSB high. Naturally the old tried and true MCH is one to watch too. I was stuck @ 3.75GHz until I increased CPU VTT and CPU GTLREF with my Q6600 G-0.

Finally, "clean" power. If you put your gear or a PSU that pumps out power with a lot of ripple it may effect stability and your hardware's life. Also look for PSUs that don't site peak power settings measured in relatively cool conditions.

Again it depends on your particular chip and I am not addressing mild overclocks. I am speaking to pushing your chip to it's MHz limit on 1.54v.

The settings your just mentioned are what took me from 3.75GHz to 3.8GHz. Before that I had a wall @ 3.75v. I have actually booted this chip @ 4.0GHz on air and run Pi. I am unwilling to keep 1.6+v on this chip though and would only do that very briefly.

I noted in my other post all that is needed for 3.6GHz (400x9) on P35 is an increase in Vcore and proper voltage to your memory.

Most folks should be able to do 3.0GHz on stock voltage with the stock cooler.

For my chip it goes like this; 3.0GHz all stock, 3.2GHz 1.36v, 3.6GHz 1.46v, 3.8GHz 1.54v plus all I outlined in the other large post.

As far as overclocking advice goes below is the best forum on the net-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

Try the Intel section.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Here's a good basic thread for starters-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147164

A few E threads and IP35 threads-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158650

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147163

An E8400|E8500 thread-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173999

Quad core OC database-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2410961&postcount=2

What I have been talking about here I've learned by overclocking experimentation on i975x, P965, and P35.

Blacklash. I didn't realize I needed to adjust the VTT and the CPUGTL REF.

I couldn't get above 3.0 before on my Abit IP-35e and quad Q6600 GO stepping so far.

I'd like to read more on this specific motherboards overclock.

Do you have any other reference threads to draw upon?

yeah I could hit 3.0 w/ 333mhz fsb on stock everything except RAM voltage...I had to increase my RAM voltage to 2.1 to work with my 6gb (2x2GB and 2x1GB of PC6400)

I'll read up on those links you gave me and try again. I think I'm limited by heat too. I am just being cheap and using the stock intel HSF combo with some ceramique artic silver paste. It's about all it can take heat wise o/ced to 3.0ghz. But I was just curious what this chip I've got will actually do.

I'd prefer to run the chip at a 8x400mhz FSB at 3.2GHZ so I can fully utilize my ram, but as I approach 1.28 volts, the heatsink can't handle the heat and goes above 70*C....Prime 95 fails in a couple minutes on 1.28 volts, so I probably need more voltage, but can't do it for the heat. Guess I either upgrade the heatsink or stay happy with 3.0ghz /333fsb.

I have another thread where I determined that 3.0ghz with 333FSB and 1:1 is actually a wee faster than 3.0ghz with 333fsb and 400mhz ram using a non 1:1 ratio. The lack of a 1:1 seems to throw off the scores more than the minor speed increase in RAM helps. :(

I'd definitely stay @ 3.0GHz with the stock cooler. If you look @ the Quad database I linked 3.6GHz is not uncommon for a Q6600 G-0 with good cooling. Again-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2410961&postcount=2

I would not attempt that with a cheap cooler or the stock cooler.

If you were willing to get a better cooler 3.2 should not be problematic. For folks that haven't bought a quad yet I would wait on the Q9450. That will do 3.6 with even less effort and heat than the Q6600 and have a performance edge.

For people that don't give a damn about Quad, try the E8400 or E3110.

I think this board is the smartest pick until now, super cheap, stable, and can hit 5000+ fsb, the GA-P35-DS3L is good but I just love this board

Did a little overclocking last night and here are the results.

Changed some settings per Backlash's advice then got to work.

Set the CPU to 400x8 with stock volts. Ran Prime95 (dual core) test for over 2 hours with no errors. Then went to 400x9 and increased voltage. Here's the weird part. I had to set the voltage up to 1.325 in order for the system to boot without a BSOD and Prime failed in 1 hour. However, CPUz and the BIOS reports voltage at 1.179V.

What voltage should these 45nm chips run at? How accurate is the 1.179V?

Tagging so I can find this thread easier tonight. I've been having a bitch of a time getting to 3.6 with my Q6600.

Thanks to everyone who wrote in this thread. I just got my IP35-E and plan on ordering a processor early next week. Hopefully I'll get a Q6600. I do intend on overclocking.

I'm using a Zalman 9500-Cu for cooling. I ran Orthos overnight after I got the new CPU and RealTemp reported that neither core went over 36C during those 8 hours...

Holy moly!

My e3110, with the stock cooler, idles at 35C and is 60C when working. I need to find a better cooler that will fit in my tiny case. (Antec Sonata)

Holy moly!

My e3110, with the stock cooler, idles at 35C and is 60C when working. I need to find a better cooler that will fit in my tiny case. (Antec Sonata)

I was shocked, too.

However, CPUz was also reporting the Vcore at 1.088V. Another .1V and the cores idle at 32C and go up to 42C under load.

Plus, my PC is the lower level of my split foyer house so it's a bit cooler down there.

Got my IP35-e installed tonight. [email protected] with 1.38v under full load after vdroop. Temps are a bit high at around 60C with a Tuniq Tower and the stock fan at full speed. The fan doesn't seem to move much air so I might try a different one to see if I can get better temps out of it. I do know it's making good contact with the CPU, though. It actually makes me wish I had gotten another Thermalright Ultima90. It seems to get much better temps although I do need some more airflow in the case.

It was pretty simple to get up to 3.6. The only thing I had to fight with was the vcore. I was able to run 3.0 at 1.2v under full load after vdroop. With better cooling I could probably get a little more out of this CPU but it would take more voltage. That's definitely not something I'm going to do with the cooling I have on it right now as it won't handle it.

I definitely recommend this board. It's cheap and it overclocks well.

e6600 w/ zalman 9700 = 3.6 @ 1.475 (drooped way down to like 1.42 under load)

CPU lapped, 60C under load

e2160 w/ big typhoon vx = 3.4 @ 1.475 volts

CPU not lapped, 54C under load

The build quality is sort of crummy, but for the money it's a nice board.

Mine quit posting, my brothers sound went out, and another friend's sata port is barely connected.

I might recommend the gigabyte p35.. mine seems to have been perfect thus far. But I think the ip35-e is a fair board and know several others who've had good luck, and since you already have it.. I hope it works out.

Nice results, btw.

Good luck,
Josh

Vcore- 1.46v BIOS 1.38v in Everest under load
CPU VTT- 1.2375
ICH- 1.60v
MCH- 1.33v
CPU GTLREF 67%
PCI-e 100

Intel Q6700 G0 (No lapping because of warranty)
400X9
IP-35E
4X1 Crucial Ballistix 800
Scythe Ninja V2

Idle the computer runs at 50-51 degrees. Under load the BIOS will shut down the computer at 70 degrees which it hits after about 1.5-2 minutes. Is this temperature unsafe? Can I up it to 75 or 80 degrees safley? Any less Vcore and the computer BSOD under load.

I have the same board and processor with an after market cooler installed (And the thermal that came on the cooler)

I am a little afraid to OC though. If I dont know what I am doing should I stay away from OCing or should I go for it?

Its relatively simple to achieve a decent overclock without too much mucking around with things but its important to make note of what you do and what the side effects are. Right now, I'm trying to get my E3110 as stable as possible at 4GHz with the least voltage possible and I'm just messing around with settings to see what helps and what doesnt while writing down whats going on. I say, go for it but be warned, its addicting once you get where you want to be.. you'll want more.

I will just try a simple safe over clock at first

Maybe to like 3.0ghz

I am going to read up on it a lot before I attempt it though

So far I have my e3110 at 3.6GHz at 1.345V in the BIOS but CPUz reads 1.220V at idle and 1.200V at full load.

Those seems to be safe volts, right?

So far I have my e3110 at 3.6GHz at 1.345V in the BIOS but CPUz reads 1.220V at idle and 1.200V at full load.

Those seems to be safe volts, right?
They are well under the danger zone, so thats a good thing. However, have you tried reaching 3.6GHz with stock voltage? I've found that mine allows me to reach 3.6GHz on stock volts. The only thing I've had to change was the MCH voltage (0.29v) to reach 400fsb.

I don't know what voltage to trust with this thing, it seems kind of flaky to me. I set it to 1.4050v for 4GHz in the BIOS but in CPUZ it reads 1.28v on load. I'm hoping with bios16 final, it'll be "normal".

Also, have you noticed any weirdness with it such as having to use a multi of 6x and 400fsb in order to boot into Windows but have CPUZ read 3.6GHz with load? Maybe its just bios14 acting weird.

They are well under the danger zone, so thats a good thing. However, have you tried reaching 3.6GHz with stock voltage? I've found that mine allows me to reach 3.6GHz on stock volts. The only thing I've had to change was the MCH voltage (0.29v) to reach 400fsb.

I don't know what voltage to trust with this thing, it seems kind of flaky to me. I set it to 1.4050v for 4GHz in the BIOS but in CPUZ it reads 1.28v on load. I'm hoping with bios16 final, it'll be "normal".

Also, have you noticed any weirdness with it such as having to use a multi of 6x and 400fsb in order to boot into Windows but have CPUZ read 3.6GHz with load? Maybe its just bios14 acting weird.

I'm running BIOS 15 and haven't seen any issues like that. I'm assuming you have Speedstep disabled.

If I bump the voltage down one notch in the BIOS then Core #1 errors out within an hour. This seems to be the lowest voltage it can handle. So far it's been running Prime95 for over 3 hours with no errors and Realtemp says neither core has exceeded 44C.

Just ordered an E3110 and Abit IP35-E. Should have some interesting overclocking results.

Is there any reason to flash to a newer version of the bios, different from the one that comes stock with the IP35-E? Will the shipped bios on the board have the dual-boot issue fixed?

dude, you must have forgot to disable speedstep.

6x 400fsb = 2.4 Ghz
9x400fsb =3.6Ghz. That's why your seeing your 3.6Ghz under load. Disabling speedstep would prevent it from jumping around.

Couldn't get faster than 3.0Ghz with the stock cooler cause it'd get too hot on my q6600. I bought the Artic Freezer 7 pro and it's allowed me to get to 3.6Ghz @ 1.38 volts on the cpu! It's running hot though still. 73* C is the highest I've seen it in prime 95 stressing with all four cores --- at what temp does the chip throttle Mhz back? I thought I had read 72*C one time, but at 73* C - cpu-z still showed me at 3.6Ghz with no throttling taking effect.

I errored out in Prime 95 before I went to bed at 1.38 volts on the CPU. Bumped to to 1.4 and went to bed.

Let prime 95 run on all four cores last night! No failures. Temps got to 74*c ---- too hot i know, but it's prime 95 stable! I'm going to go with it since under normal operations that CPU would never get that hot.....how often do you tax all four cores to the max for 6 or 7 hours --- and even if I do with some crazy video encoding or something it's prooved stable anyway! :D

Seems like the artic freezer 7 pro cpu cooler maybe a little light duty on this for my cooling wishes, I'd prefer to have remained in the 60*C territory under load --- but it works so thumbs up and I only paid like 17 shipped from new egg for it because it was open box! I had to install it facing up rather than exhausting back because the Northbridge heatsink on these IP-35e's is so darn big. It would help with temps i'm sure to face it back and exhaust immediately out the case fans rather than blow on my PSU - but not enough difference to worry over. I"ve got a 120mm blowhole/fan on the top of my case and 2 80mm blow hole fans on the back so the air gets moving at a pretty good clip anyway. I'm pretty excited with the overclock! Intel's fastes CPU available is a 3.0ghz quad and costs over $1000 --- mines running at 3.6ghz :D:D:D:D:D:D:D and cost me less than $240 with tax and aftermarket heatsink to do the same thing :)

Here's my specific thread on my exact settings needed to hit 3.6ghz on the Abit IP35-e

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1288060

After tons of reading I finally gave up on getting an accurate temperature and just focused on keeping my distance from tjmax, the throttling point. Realtemp is probably the closest you can get to an accurate temperature, but it and coretemp will both accurately show you the distance from tjmax. Just keep that to around 35 to be safest, 25 if you like livin' on th edge. That's based on other's recommendations.

Well my OC to 3.6GHz at 1.225V (real) has been perfectly stable. I'm going to leave it at 400x9 since my memory doesn't OC very well.

Maybe I'll get some PC1066 down the road and see if I can push it higher, but I really don't have any use for the extra speed.

Here's exactly how I am doing 3.8GHz with a Q6600 G-0 + the IP35-E and because it works for me does not mean it would for you. Hardware OC = luck of the draw.

Stay on a 1:1 CPU|ram ratio to squeeze those last MHz out so, 400FSB should = DDR2 800. I am @ 423x9.

Memory-

Start relaxed, 5-5-5-15. You can tighten later when you are sure you are stable. tRFC should be 42 and no lower for the best stability. Make sure your ram is getting the proper voltage. If it supposed to have 2.0v set that, do not leave it on auto. Stay on 2T. If you want 4Gb ram go with 2 stick vs 4x 1Gb.

CPU Settings-

Vcore- 1.54v ( You best have damn good cooling, and you may want to go water. IMO 1.46v should get you 3.6GHz with a Q6600 G-0) For a Wolfdale stay between 1.36-1.40v max IMO.
*CPU VTT- 1.2375 *This is critical for quad OC
ICH- 1.60v
MCH- 1.33v(if you are only going 400x9 leave this @ stock voltage)
CPU GTLREF 67%
PCI-e 100 for best stability

Virtualization- disabled.

C1E and EIST are optional. Leave them on if they don't cause problems because they will help keep your rig cool.

Direct a small fan at your PWM heatsink area or mount a fan on it, if you care to bother.

I am using the Thermalright Ultra Extreme with Arctic silver 5 and quality 120mm fans. One is pushing air into the HS and the other pulling it out. I also lapped my HS base and the CPU for an added edge.

I have two 120mm Sharkoon Golfball Fans in push pull on my Thermalright ultra extreme. The fan facing the front of my case pushes air into the heatsink and the fan on the rear pulls air out. You may need to place something akin to silicon noise dampeners on the rear fan to stop it from brushing the HS.

HS-
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-ultra-120-extreme-cpu-cooler-p-16580.html

These are the fans I'm using-

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20832

I secured them with zipties and control them with a Sunbeam rheobus-

http://www.pcextreme.com/catalog/sku/bus-54.html

A brief detail on lapping-
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=82

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=4735

You may google "lapping your CPU" if you don't find the above links useful enough.

Also connect your components to good clean power, or that is a quality PSU. That has helped me more with overclocking than you might think.

If you're using Vista get SP1 RC, and read this-

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238

Good luck.

What is your temp around PWM?

I've been playing around with my settings. I can get to 3.2 (9x356) stable with a mild v-core bump. When I try to increase my fsb, It won't post. I also noticed that changing any of the memory settings results in a "no post".

I decided to lower the multi & raise the fsb to see if that would work. I tried both 400x8 & 500x7. Both times the computer would post & boot at both settings. When I am in Windows (XP), CPU-Z reports my cpu at 9x266 (stock). When I re-boot, the computer is still reading 7x500. Very bizarre.

I would appreciate your help.

I've been playing around with my settings. I can get to 3.2 (9x356) stable with a mild v-core bump. When I try to increase my fsb, It won't post. I also noticed that changing any of the memory settings results in a "no post".

I decided to lower the multi & raise the fsb to see if that would work. I tried both 400x8 & 500x7. Both times the computer would post & boot at both settings. When I am in Windows (XP), CPU-Z reports my cpu at 9x266 (stock). When I re-boot, the computer is still reading 7x500. Very bizarre.

I would appreciate your help.

Did you disable speedstep? I think that can do some quirky things.

I have not disabled speedstep but I will disable it & re-try the same steps.

I have been looking into overclocking and found this thread. I have an Abit IP35-E and a Q6600. I was able to get 3.0 GHz by changing the the frequency to 333, I also changed the ram thing to be 800MHz.

So here's my 2 questions: what is a good general temperature to be under? After running p95 for a few minutes I'm in the lower 60s.

The other question is how do you disable speedstep?

Back