Abit AX8 and Dual Core

Eagle106

Limp Gawd
Ok, I screwed up. A while back I bought an Abit AX8 motherboard and thought that I had read that it will support dual core with a BIOS update. So I recently bought an Athlon X2 and updated the BIOS on my motherboard to version 14. Version 11 said that it added support for AMD rev. E processors and I assumed that it meant dual core. Well when it boots up it will recognize that it is an Athlon X2 but Windows does not seam to recognize the second core as there is only one window in the performance tab when I hit ctrl/alt/delete. I went to view and tried clicking "show one graph per cpu" and I have gone to the device manager and made sure that it said ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I've read that sometimes windows needs to be reinstalled if it was installed using a single core processor, but also that the v1.0 board could not support dual core. So my question is, has anybody gotten a dual core processor to work on a v1.0 AX8 board, or is it a lost cause?

I think you're screwed as the first revision probably just doesn't have the proper electrical requirements to run the CPU. You can try reinstalling Windows, but I don't think it'll work properly. You'll be stuck utilizing only one CPU unless you swap out the board.

The AX8 V1.0 has the original VIA K8T890 chipset where VIA screwed up & it doesn't support dual cores.
The V2.0 had the revised chipset which does.

If you have a V1.0 no BIOS or driver will enable dual core operation as it's a chipset design problem.

Back