A3 -Bigadv is being shutdown

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
3,522
Kasson has just posted over at FF, A3 -bigadv is being shutdown within a day or so, if you want to continue running -bigadv you need to upgrade to v6.34 and core A5 now.

Its upgrade time
 
can you do it in the middle of a wu? has anyone done this?

some people have - sometimes you keep the WU, sometimes you lose it. Since i have a 6900 and am making up for being offline for the last few days i'm leaving well alone.
 
I might loose a day... oh well... I can't wait for them all to finish...
 
Thanks a lot for mentioning this ... [H] is generally the only forum I check for new posts so I wouldn't have caught this at foldingforum as I only browse there occasionally. The last time an upgrade took place, I didn't upgrade my client for about a week and lost out on bigadv processing for several WUs.

As for upgrading, I stopped my FAH service, dropped in the new binary, then started it back up again and according to FAHlog, things seem to be progressing as they were before.
 
holy cow. nothing like forcing us out of the nest. I guess this means I will not have to deal with the 2684 anymore like my SR2 is currently finishing.
 
holy cow. nothing like forcing us out of the nest. I guess this means I will not have to deal with the 2684 anymore like my SR2 is currently finishing.

lol... yeah unfortunately I had to kill off a few 2684s that were at like 5%... oh darn...
 
I have a 6900 running on the A5 core right now, so the old units will not be re-numbered it seems.
 
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will be -oneunit'ing my current work units so I can make the switch to that new client. Thanks to you early birds who jumped on it asap for beta testing for people like me who wait :)
 
Just pulled a 6701 on my SR-2 rig. Upgraded the core to A5 mid unit and it picked up where it left off just fine.
 
I switched mid unit too, and had 0 issues.
I did that on one system and it has completed 2 frames so far, but backed up the WU just in case. /crosses fingers
 
Just switched to tonight, everything is working as I expected it would...
 
jesus wtf happened to a4!? ty for the heads up. updated one boxen I'll update the other one later.
 
a4 was a beta off shoot... they tried something... it didn't work...
Can you tell us a little of what was attempted with A4? Curious to know what they were trying.
 
Can you tell us a little of what was attempted with A4? Curious to know what they were trying.

I have not a clue... when they announced a5 they said it has improvements over both a3 and a4 and that in uses less ram than both...

and a4 and a5 were both available to test at the same time...
 
I have not a clue... when they announced a5 they said it has improvements over both a3 and a4 and that in uses less ram than both...

and a4 and a5 were both available to test at the same time...

Wow, less RAM?

I remember -bigadv on A2. Now that needed some RAM!

You don't even need 2GB sticks in a i7920 rig. 3GB total for the system keeps the A3 -bigadv happy and enough room for Win 7.

Well that makes up my mind on how much RAM to buy for the next bit of "D".
 
Wow, less RAM?

I remember -bigadv on A2. Now that needed some RAM!

You don't even need 2GB sticks in a i7920 rig. 3GB total for the system keeps the A3 -bigadv happy and enough room for Win 7.

Well that makes up my mind on how much RAM to buy for the next bit of "D".

but you want to have the bandwidth...
 
Is there a drop in binary for 6.34? I'm only seeing a link for the 6.30 drop in.
 
Well, I have 12 to 24GB in my rigs, so I am ready and waiting for -honkingbigadv.
 
Can you tell us a little of what was attempted with A4? Curious to know what they were trying.

Core A4 is the new released uniprocessor core, it is an offshoot of A3 SMP, in the near future it will enable the bonus scheme to be applied to uniprocessor machines as well.
 
Core A4 is the new released uniprocessor core, it is an offshoot of A3 SMP, in the near future it will enable the bonus scheme to be applied to uniprocessor machines as well.

lol... the release notes for a5 made it sound like they had killed a4... I love how they suck at wording things...
 
lol... the release notes for a5 made it sound like they had killed a4... I love how they suck at wording things...
Yeah, I actually remember now when the A4 core was released for uni-processor and it was some time ago. For some reason I didn't make the association because of the context of the post, LOL.
 
if im using f@h gpu tracker do i jsut click download clients again to update?
 
Both SR-2s had started pulling standard SMP, so I used the drop-in binary to upgrade. One just pulled an A5 P6901 when the standard WU finished, but the other pulled an A3 P2692. So, it looks like A3 bigadv WUs are not gone, they're just no longer being assigned to the old clients.
 
I changed mine mid unit. It'll finish the A3 P6900 that it is on and then?

Will it know to download the A5 core and a corresponding WU?
 
My biadv machines have both pulled some SMP units mixed in with the bigadv units. For the first few days they got nothing but 6901's.
 
if im using f@h gpu tracker do i jsut click download clients again to update?
Probably not, since the download link and the file name of the new client .exe are different. You'll have to change manually, unless the GPU Tracker software has been updated to work with it.
I changed mine mid unit. It'll finish the A3 P6900 that it is on and then?

Will it know to download the A5 core and a corresponding WU?
Yes, it'll be assigned a new unit and automatically download the new core.
 
Back
Top