A Picture I took - 2013

20130803_Mesa_Shenanigans_smaller.jpg

Some of my fav pics taken in the last month. Low res versions, resized for convinient. if for some weird reason, anyone want full res version, ask.

XPSoi19.jpg

r8clhF7.jpg

xWYqXkR.jpg

GxGMsyN.jpg

FjPm5uA.jpg

eMvC0AG.jpg

YN9O2U3.jpg

I admit - those were taken with my note 2 ;)

Just wanted to drop a quick note to you guys - I love your pictures. So many good ones. ;) Keep it up!

Just wanted to drop a quick note to you guys - I love your pictures. So many good ones. ;) Keep it up!

Yep, there's some seriously amazing talent here! Unfortunately I don't have a good eye for landscapes so I just stick with shooting people. That doesn't mean I can't be inspired though!

^Wonderful shot, dude. As always ;)

Have you considered using gold/silver reflectors? I've noticed in a lot of your portrait shots that you only use one directional light source. What about bouncing that light and having the model's back side lit up a little?

^Wonderful shot, dude. As always ;)

Have you considered using gold/silver reflectors? I've noticed in a lot of your portrait shots that you only use one directional light source. What about bouncing that light and having the model's back side lit up a little?

Thanks for the compliment. The long and the short is I simply shoot with what I have in the bag and I'm not letting the tools I don't have stop my from producing work.

I'd love to have 3x PCB Einsteins, 3x Vagabond II/Vagabond Mini Power Packs, 1x PCB White Beauty Dish, 1x 39" Elinchrome Deep Octa, 1x Impact 5n1 Collapsible Oval 42x72" Reflector, 3x 10.75' Impact Century C Stands with 42" Risers, 1x Impact Air- Cushioned Heavy Duty Lightstand w/ Impact Telescopic Collapsible Reflector Holder, Sandbags, 2x (or more) Pocket Wizard Plus III, 12' White Seamless, and a T Bar. (We could also throw in some Stripboxes for good measure... or if we just wanted to make everything cost more, Profoto Lights and Powerpacks with all Elinchrome modifiers.)

But I don't. I have 1x 580 EXII, 1x PCB White PLM 64" Umbrella (which I've had for literally 1 week... since last Tuesday), 1x Manfrotto 13' Light Stand, 1x Manfrotto Umbrella holder, and 2x Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs. I unfortunately don't have much if anything to invest in the craft (wish I did, but been broke for a while, and just starting to try and get clients). I do my best to make it happen with what I have. Most of my shots of people are happening at live venues in probably 1-3 minutes (sometimes less, rarely more).

Terrible constraints, but it's teaching me a lot about speed and consistency. I only show a fraction of what I shoot or for what I'm using to fulfill the job, but with my small kit and the constraints, I'm learning a lot every week. Probably why I quote Zack Arias around here so much. I probably like him more because I have no flashy gear and I refuse to let what I don't have in my bag stop me from getting the results I want (even if I don't have a hairlight, a reflector, nicer light modifiers, or seamless).

Hopefully sometime in the near future, I'll be able to do a test shoot with some friends (posing as models) that I'll be able to have more shooting time with. Haven't had that in a while. If said test shoot(s) happen, I'll post up a few things. I have some thoughts/concepts in mind.

Last edited:
Did you have to wipe off any blood from your camera? Sheesh, if you were any closer you'd be IN the ring. :)

Ha, no but I did have to wipe off the sweat. There weren't any cuts during these bouts. I did get in the ring though, and also, took some shots where I held the camera in the ring to take some shots and set the focus point in the middle of the frame and hopefully I got something good.

I can't wait for the next event. I shot this even pro-bono, I'm thinking next event I ask for a little moola.

That's fantastic! Congrats on the baby girl! Now give her everything she wants......NOW! :D

Back