A Picture I took - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Nice clean wiring job! When I saw that first pic on the last page, at first glance I thought it was just an empty case.

So I finally got around to processing my photos from the last few weeks. Here are a few shots from one of the more exciting sets. Was hanging out at a friend's house while he was burning brush out of his yard. Some cool shapes in some of these.

fire-1.jpg

fire-2.jpg

fire-3.jpg

fire-4.jpg

fire-5.jpg

fire-6.jpg

With both images colour temp/contrast/saturation/sharpness were boosted to my liking. The grass image I added a GND filter to darken and saturate the sky. I then used this action for the first one http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=sundown+action#/d4rsimx

and an action called fashion mag 2 out of thus pack
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/psactions/?qh=&section=&q=50+pack#/d12tyfn

Awesome thanks. Friend of mine had engagement pictures taken and it had that type of warm feel to it like your pictures but I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it easily in lightroom. I think what you suggested will get me pretty close. Thanks.

I shoot another wedding tomorrow and another next weekend. I'll post when I get back. Been having some personal issues so I haven't really been in the mood to shoot. Hopefully my wedding photos don't come out all dark... lol

30i9owx.jpg

Got a new toy today. I've noticed zero difference between it, and my other camera body. :cool:

^Nice panos. Just be careful when you let the software do all the work for you with stitching. You don't want to end up with artifacts like the one in the second pic from the top (floating branch in the top left corner).
Congrats! I hope you got a quad core to go with that :p
I do, but I want a new one :p I'm running on a QX6800 with 8GB, but it isn't easy. I need a darktiger's rig from the few posts above :cool:

^^Massively jealous. Hurry up and post more pics from it!
Extremely busy these past few days, and I doubt I'll have a lot of free time in the near future :( However, from the little time I spent with the camera, I have noticed the following:
- My hand holding technique is pretty bad. 1/focal length isn't going to cut it for me
- The camera is amazing!

I hope to get through the manual this weekend, and then go to the zoo (animals make for awesome picture subject). I just need the weather to get above 50 degrees :p

Love the D800... If I shot Nikon I would already have one... But I guess I will just settle for the 5dmkIII ;)

It's hard to follow all those wonderful photos in this thread, especially since I'm still learning the new camera and have taken a whooping 100 photos with it so far, but here are the first few shots with my new baby (please excuse the lack of any interesting subject in the photos :D):

0001ooo.jpg

Protoss:
0002.jpg

0005.jpg

The hunt (is it just me, or does he look like a gremlin? :))

0003clc.jpg

The chase:

0002yny.jpg

The attack:

0001awa.jpg

0004ulu.jpg

I'm loving this camera :D

northrop,
how big are your files? Are you shooting in RAW? 12bit compression? I shoot weddings and I don't want to lug a storage server along with me.

northrop,
how big are your files? Are you shooting in RAW? 12bit compression? I shoot weddings and I don't want to lug a storage server along with me.
14bit compressed works our to be ~50MB. Storage isn't an issue however. The limiting factor seems to be the battery. On the first charge I managed to get <500 shots and maybe a 5minute video only. Granted, I spent a lot of time goofing around with the menus, but 800-900 shots is probably the absolute maximum this battery can handle.

A single 64GB card can hold <800 RAWs at 14bit compressed, so for the weddings, you'll end up carrying more batteries than memory cards. :eek:

Northrop, I like your dog photos. My parents have a new Standard Poodle puppy, who just turned 4 months old. I need get out with my DSLR and take a few..

Tomorrow, I'm hopefully picking up some developed photos I took with an old Brownie Hawkeye camera. I'm excited about that. If any turn out, I'll post a few.

^Thank you, and I look forward to your Brownie pics. Do you have a way of scanning them for us?

And if you guys don't mind, I will continue the animal theme for now.

Full frame:

leo2.jpg

100% crop:

leo1.jpg

...and to think I was going to buy a TC. :p

^Thank you, and I look forward to your Brownie pics. Do you have a way of scanning them for us?

And if you guys don't mind, I will continue the animal theme for now.

.....clip.....

...and to think I was going to buy a TC. :p

But a TC will get you more fur. :D As long as you keep the shutter speed up, ISO low, camera steady and sacrifice two D800s to the Gods to have enough light on your subject. :eek: Hmm maybe cropping is good enough.

Regarding the Brownie pictures, I'm keeping my expectations low. The fixed shutter of somewhere between 1/30 and 1/45, no focus control, and an aperture of around f/16 makes for a restrictive experience for a perfectionist. While I was taking them, I just went looking for sunny bright conditions. I found it nice not having to worry about all the ISO, aperture, shutter speed that goes into my normal routine.

I'm using Walmart's film send-off service. Sending in 120 film has been good in the past, with really sharp 4x4 prints. Negatives were really clean the first few times, but I did have a few scratches last time (camera or them?). Just have to wait 9-10 days to get them back.

I have an Epson V500 flatbed that I'll scan them in with.

Edit: Film didn't come back from processing today, so the next drop-off is Friday afternoon I think. Will pick it up Saturday hopefully. Something to look forward to for this weekend. :D
Edit 5/18: Got the film back from walmart. All the photos turned out OK. I see what I think is some camera movement. I thought I had good firm shutter tripping, but I guess not :) Scans to come.

Last edited:
BB Gun, I like the different layers in the bridge photo. Draws me right into the scene.

Here are two photos I've taken this week with my DSLR.

I got a chuckle out of these maple propellers getting stuck in this dirt sifting screen all pointing the same way:
Maple_Seed_Propellers_in_Sifting_Screen_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x680.jpg

I liked this lily flower. Used some flash coming from the left.
Lily_and_Gnomes_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x680.jpg

Really digging my D4, it's my first full frame camera since the Mid 80s when I upgraded <heh> from a Nikon F3 to an 8008s =) Love having the big ass viewfinder again and really dig being able to shoot 14mm wide shots and getting 14mm wide!

12-ConowingoEagles-0928 by Kadath, on Flickr

Surprised at how much I dig the 2.7x crop mode for video tho, it lets me get a lot closer than the 1.5x crop of my D300 did, tho obviously with only 2mp files:

12-ConowingoEagles-1030-2 by Kadath, on Flickr

Still getting the colors and contrast dialed in tho, so if any of that is a bit hinky it is MY fault and not the cameras....

12-70-200Test-0826 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ConowingoEagles-0846 by Kadath, on Flickr

Juvenile Bald Eagle:

12-ConowingoEagles-0984 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-D4-Test-0152 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-D4-Test-0724 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-D4-Test-0727 by Kadath, on Flickr

Quickly edited set of clips showing off the 2.7x crop in high winds:
https://vimeo.com/42384944

Last edited:
14-24 Zoom. It's my least used lens but when I reach for it it never dissapoints now that it's on Full Frame like it was born to be!

Still going through the 778 pics I took today but this one was a stand out immediately: Badass American Firepower!

7230366192_63b2fd8133_h.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/7230366192/in/photostream

Happy Armed Forces Day to the fine Men & Women of the US Army and thanks to Aberdeen Proving Ground for putting on a kickass show, the 1st Live Fire demo in 21 years!

HOLY CRAP, yes, THIS is the reason I bought a D4.... A few shots later I actually caught the sabot IN FLIGHT!!!!
7231457802_129125cf8c_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/7231457802/in/set-72157629806085244/

Also caught a tracer round in flight too:
7231456538_8ebd156a4f_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/7231456538/in/set-72157629806085244/

Full set now up at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157629806085244/with/7231457802/

Last edited:
Here are three photos that I took with an old Brownie Hawkeye box film camera. Link to snapshot of what this thing is.

These were scanned at 3200 DPI on the Epson V500 using the Vuescan software. The film I used in the camera was Fuji Pro160S. The profile I used in Vuescan was Kodak Gold 100 Gen 2. The V500 gives somewhere between 1200 and 1500 actual DPI, but one needs to scan higher than that to achieve it.

Lebanon_Hills_-_Take_with_Brownie_Hawkeye_-_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

Back_Yard_-_Taken_With_Brownie_Hawkeye_-_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

Prairie_Fire_Crab_Apple_-_Taken_with_Brownie_Hawkeye_-_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

Previous times I've dropped off 120 film at Walmart for their send-off service, and I was happy with the prints. This time I was not happy with the sharpness -- I can forgive the heavy contrast, but the softness bothers me. Comparison between the print I got back on the left, and the scan from the film on the right:
Lake_Comparison_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x512.jpg

Another comparison. Possibly not as good as the above, but does include a 100% zoomed in view. Click here.

The camera uses an approximate shutter speed of 1/30 second. That is my biggest complaint. Halfish of the scans show a small amount of camera shake -- more noticeable on the objects farther away from the camera. I set the camera down on a sturdy surface for 2 photos while trying out the bulb feature, and those are nice and sharp.

In the end, I'm going to retire this camera to the shelf. Was a fun experiment just shooting what I want and not worrying about anything, but in the end I like sharp negatives to scan in. I have a few last 120 film rolls to use up, and I'd rather do it with my Mamiya TLR camera that gives full control.

I did get two nice pictures of my parents with their 4 month old dog that turned out really nice, so I'm very happy about that. :D

eclipse1.jpg

D800 + 70-200 VRII at full crop. Didn't get to see totality in this area, but it was still quite a sight. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back