A Picture I Took - 2011

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
Wishing a very happy new year to all of the [H]ard Forumers out there! :)

Winter camping:
5311062148_37611d520b_z.jpg

Very nice shots :D
I just realized my last shot was still technically from 2010...

Last edited:
I technically shot and developed this in 2010, but the other thread was locked, and I printed it in 2011, so...

Technologies by Pylon757, on Flickr

Apologies about the dust.

Last edited:
Trying to get into film......got my test roll back from the RTS. Looks like I have to scan the negatives myself and to print them out from the digital files.

5322495948_0906ff0008_b.jpg

Some Winter shots at the park.

5325648300_f7021504ea_b.jpg

5328721954_7e706ef46c_b.jpg

5325648390_40e62a8293_b.jpg

5328722510_3e82d8e018_b.jpg

5325041343_68f6724252_b.jpg

Trying to get into film......got my test roll back from the RTS. Looks like I have to scan the negatives myself and to print them out from the digital files.

Some Winter shots at the park.

5325648300_f7021504ea_b.jpg

5328721954_7e706ef46c_b.jpg

Holy Halation on those outdoor color shots! What kind of film were you using? It's almost like a soft focus effect, but the details are still sharp - its just kind of 'glowing'.

Holy Halation on those outdoor color shots! What kind of film were you using? It's almost like a soft focus effect, but the details are still sharp - its just kind of 'glowing'.

Hehehehe.....no, those are taken with my 1dmarkIII and 24-70L. They are digital. I added a bit of glow effect from photoshop since the snow and the brightly white color do have that kind of effect.

Hehehehe.....no, those are taken with my 1dmarkIII and 24-70L. They are digital. I added a bit of glow effect from photoshop since the snow and the brightly white color do have that kind of effect.

Ah-ha! I knew something was up! lol.

... Wow, how geeky do I feel right now :eek: ...

Ah-ha! I knew something was up! lol.

... Wow, how geeky do I feel right now :eek: ...

However, don't be surprised if they were shot with film.....:) I am planning to get a good film scanner soon in order to scan my own negatives. Most likely I will run them through photoshop also. I found that most labs aren't worth a dime when comes to scanning your negatives. Their prints are not much desired. I may as well as get prints from my own negative scans. Cheaper and better quality.

If you want general advice on film,
-Be picky about your lab. Make sure the technicians aren't abusing your film, etc. If you have a ton of money, use pro lab services if your area has one. I've also had good luck with Costco.
-Consider shooting E-6 slide film, like Velvia. They have a narrow exposure latitude, but the colors and contrast are great. Also, they call for E-6 processing, which will usually call for a pro lab.
-If you want to shoot real black and white film (not drug store C-41 B&W like Kodak BW400 or Ilford XP2), consider developing yourself. You don't need a darkroom if you aren't making optical prints. A bathroom is fine. It's simple, you get more control over the film (e.g. you can push/pull the film to change its ISO/ASA) and much cheaper than getting a pro lab to do it for you (drugstores can't do this type). You need a bathroom, some chemicals, a changing bag a developing tank, a relatively dust free spot to dry your film, and some supplies.

If you want general advice on film,
-Be picky about your lab. Make sure the technicians aren't abusing your film, etc. If you have a ton of money, use pro lab services if your area has one. I've also had good luck with Costco.
-Consider shooting E-6 slide film, like Velvia. They have a narrow exposure latitude, but the colors and contrast are great. Also, they call for E-6 processing, which will usually call for a pro lab.
-If you want to shoot real black and white film (not drug store C-41 B&W like Kodak BW400 or Ilford XP2), consider developing yourself. You don't need a darkroom if you aren't making optical prints. A bathroom is fine. It's simple, you get more control over the film (e.g. you can push/pull the film to change its ISO/ASA) and much cheaper than getting a pro lab to do it for you (drugstores can't do this type). You need a bathroom, some chemicals, a changing bag a developing tank, a relatively dust free spot to dry your film, and some supplies.

Yeah, almost forgot about shooting slides, since I don't need to have my film printed. I can scan them and printed off the digital files. Unfortunately, I haven't found a lab that does slides other than my local place, which is about 2 blocks away. However, I didn't like the way they printed out my negatives (dusts and hair on each prints!!!!) and they don't offer digital scan larger than 1500 pixel. They do everything, 35mm negatives, slides, 120 and 220 medium format. I also found another studio lab in my local mall that does only film developing. They also do 120 and 220 medium format. Only charges $3 for the film developing. $2 to 5 for the film, and $3 for the developing. Scan my own negatives. Print only the shots I want. Shooting film is pretty cheap. Of course, I makes sure I bring my 1dmarkIII with me when out shooting with film.....:)

BTW, the nearest Costco is some 15 miles away. I don't expect to find a pro lab unless I travel to Manhattan.

Pike Place Market. First shots from the new toy I bought back in Thanksgiving. Currently in the learning phase :) (Haven't done any actual photography since high school; nine years ago).

5328980255_499db5e1fe_b.jpg

5329592586_a0f14d89bb_b.jpg

5329593872_13d7fb83a7_b.jpg

5328985193_5c4a83ab7b_b.jpg

5328986211_ff31a84e34_b.jpg

5329600138_c1ee033fef_b.jpg

5328987537_1d3be80c53_b.jpg

Last edited:
Pike Place Market. First shots from the new toy I bought back in Thanksgiving. Currently in the learning phase :) (Haven't done any actual photography since high school; nine years ago).

[/snip]

They look pretty good. I like the last one in particular.

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

I'm starting to do some HDR stuff again...it's been a WHILE, so I'm re-getting-used-to-it :p

Be warned, though - I am a fan of overdone HDR. Not crazy psycho overdone HDR, but you'll get the point. Also, it's just random shots around an auto garage. Nothing exciting in particular ;)

IMG_4213_4_5_6_8_tonemapped-1.jpg

IMG_4796_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_4799_800_801_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_4882_3_4_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg

Cool shots! What camera/setup are you using?

Cool shots! What camera/setup are you using?

Nothing special. Rolling with a Canon T2i and for lens, Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Post processing with Lightroom and Photoshop. All the shots above were from the prime, obviously :)

Not a great shot, but it was an honor to listen to these men this afternoon...

a-Buck_n_Malarkey-1538.jpg

Not a great shot, but it was an honor to listen to these men this afternoon...

a-Buck_n_Malarkey-1538.jpg

Band of Brothers FTW!
Where was this? And was it televised?

[EDIT] I just read that Dick Winters died. That's terrible. RIP. :(

Last edited:
Back