A new NEC professional IPS? PA series

Guys, i'm confused. Is this the PA271W with a name change or is this a whole new 27" monitor? They're calling it the Multisync Reference 271.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/29065/nec-comes-27-inch-2560-x-1440-professional-monitor

same thing

they call them multisyncs in Europe unless you buy a hand-picked copy and then they call them spectraviews over there, in the US they call them spectraviews no matter what

European spectraview calibration software is totally different than US calibration software. The European one only works only spectraview labeled monitors, perhaps only European ones, not sure. Some say the US spectraview software will work on any european NEC, spectraview or not, but the details are sketchy, maybe not. Apparently they are not supposed to ship US spectraview software to Europe and European software to US. So you need to find some small place they will ship anywhere regardless (although some claim to be able to get US spectraview software easily). I don't know it's all crazy haha.

But yeah that IS the monitor you think it is, just not one of the hand-picked best copies. I think they claim they reject 2 in 3 or even 3 in 4 copies from getting spectraview name. If they let one slip then you get royally jobbed though, approaching twice as much for nothing. In the US it's a gamble as to whether you get an ideal copy or a typical copy, 1 in 3 or 4 make out like bandits though :D ($900 US for as good as it gets).

Have you the XYZ tristimulus values available?

not at the moment i can measure whatever you want and post it

Interestingly DPT94b old stock and DPT94b new production run each using iColor with generic wide gamut IPS correction and the NEC puck in spectraview and the factory settings all disagree with one another. :D
The DTP94 perform way more similarly on sRGB monitors, maybe the compensation matrix applies so much correction that it also noticeably boost the difference between the two or maybe the new production had a

I should get the chance to try someone else's NEC puck in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see which of the above it will most closely match. Hopefully not none of the above. :D

Actually did jot down a very few numbers one a piece of paper I have here:
NEC puck in SVII measuring internal sRGB primaries and white point
xyY with Y non-normalized and in cd/m^2
R .639,.325,25.11
G .301,.602,86.64
B .152,.063,9.25
W .306,.324,119.61

(the NEC puck dances around a bit on higher luminances, I believe I took sort of an average value by eye from all the numbers it would pop up)

all measurements are pretty close to sRGB standard aside from Ry (too low) and B luminance (a bit hot)

those are the only numbers I have handy here with me at the moment

actually I lied I also see I wrote down a few measured of the native gamut:
R .681,.306
G .206,.693
B .152,.055
W .306,.324

the monitor preset says they should be:
R .678,.312
G .200,.694
B .151,.054
W .3127,.3290

so a touch off on Gx and Ry and moreso on W
the others are all super close though

anyway, i don't have any of the DTP94 numbers on hand at all and nothing more from the NEC or the ones from DTP94s in colormetre using your matrix

One of the few colorimeters I would trust is this because it seems to match the CIE standard observer. But software compatibilty and price will be a problem.

Best regards

Denis

it is always scary when not a hint of price is mentioned, that is almost always a very, VERY bad sign :D

I was considering the NEC PA series, especially the 27" for my next monitor. It would be a massive investment, but I need a good monitor for PC based Blu Ray, PC Gaming, PS3 Gaming, General Use, and I am a sometimes creative type with Adobe Illustrator and other programs, someday it might be a breadmaker, but for now it's a hobby (I did some art school in the 90's before my AirForce days, but never got fully back into it yet). I am a display snob too, so it's looking like I could stretch for one of these and end up happy. I'm not a pro gamer, never will have the time to become one, but I still love games, don't want a monitor I can't game on like, as in I don't want to lose every round of Modern Warfare 2 cus of my display like. More into Uncharted 2 style games tho, where reaction times is not quite as important.

Looking at what's available in NECs PA Series, the NEC PA271W seems nice. It's big for entertainment uses, it's 16:9, so on paper, despite being of higher than 720p resolution (this is what most PS3 games are at. For Blu Ray I will need 1080p, and this screen is even higher), the aspect ratio should scale up just fine for my PS3, as long as it does in fact scale up the image to fill the screen. I can't have the image stretching in anyway, like my old Dell 2209WA does cus it's 16:10 and not 16:9 like my PS3 needs. It's a big screen, so I don't need a separate TV (I'm more into hulu on PC displays than cable on TVs, but I could use a bigger screen than 24" sometimes).

I don't like the E-IPS tech as much, but it's a nice lower cost, so I may go with the 23" PA model. Or even the NECs 23" EA model E-IPS if I need cheap and can't wait.

So my question for now are is Spectraview worth it, can you do that stuff later on with other products, can you buy spectraview separate, can you use the ps3 CORRECTLY on any of these models? How bout the 24" PA, is there a way to display the aspect ratio right with bars despite the 16:10 ratio? Will the 27" PA be an issue for being way past 1080p Resolution? Any thoughts on how good these monitors fit my needs? I do love quality, and these seem to be the best, so what do you guys think?

Last edited:
In my opinion, spectraview is worth it because I love calibrating to the L* gamma curve. Also with it you can recalibrate the colour primaries on the PA series. Spectraview can be bought separately. You can get it as just the software, or as software and puck. I cannot verify for sure the PS3 works since I don't own one. The 24" should be no different, other than that you'll either have to stretch the image, or have black bars. It will do either one at your request. The 2k resolution of the 27 shouldn't be a problem, the built in scaler is extremely high quality.

I love the NEC monitors. I have a 2690WUXi, which is their older high end monitor, and Ill get a PA301W when it comes out. They are expensive, but I love them. Best image I've ever seen.

SylarPowers: I love my 2490, especially SpectraView II and the hardware LUT functionality. From what I've read in this thread, the "factory calibration" is pretty extensive in the PA series. Even in the old 90 series as long as you have ColorComp on, you're reasonably close to an sRGB calibration.

Since you're a display snob, I'd suggest getting the SVII package. I do a bunch of photography work (also as a hobby, and I'm also a display snob) and I consider calibration a necessity and hardware LUTs to be the cat's meow.

No news on PA301W resease date yet?

Probably around September.

Reason I believe this: There's a new 30 inch Dell coming out that uses the same IPS panel that's due out around that time so popular theory suggests the NEC is going to come out right around the same time.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536630&page=3

^^ Skim the third page of that thread and you'll see where I'm getting this idea.

All I know is that it's going to be damned expensive and I say this as a happy NEC 2490wuxi owner.

It's pretty strange that I can buy a top of the line 3D TV Panasonic plasma at 50 inches for as much or even less than what top of the line 30 inch computer monitors go for.

I wish they made plasma monitors, too, at this rate. A few years ago NEC made great plasmas that were only succeeded by the Pioneer Kuros. The idea of an NEC plasma computer monitor makes my toes tingle. ;)

Does anyone know if the PA271W has the same aggressive AG coating as the DELL U2711?

The U2711 is almost PERFECT for what I want in a display, but I'm still pins and needles on the AG "sparkle" effect --- and if the NEC doesn't have this, it might just be enough to convince me to shell out the higher price.

Probably around September.

Reason I believe this: There's a new 30 inch Dell coming out that uses the same IPS panel that's due out around that time so popular theory suggests the NEC is going to come out right around the same time.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536630&page=3

^^ Skim the third page of that thread and you'll see where I'm getting this idea.

All I know is that it's going to be damned expensive and I say this as a happy NEC 2490wuxi owner.

It's pretty strange that I can buy a top of the line 3D TV Panasonic plasma at 50 inches for as much or even less than what top of the line 30 inch computer monitors go for.

I wish they made plasma monitors, too, at this rate. A few years ago NEC made great plasmas that were only succeeded by the Pioneer Kuros. The idea of an NEC plasma computer monitor makes my toes tingle. ;)
But does it have the same resolution as 30'' computer monitors?

Does anyone know if the PA271W has the same aggressive AG coating as the DELL U2711?

My PA271W just arrived this afternoon, and while it's beautiful and bright and fantastically uniform (though I haven't calibrated it yet - I ordered the SpectraView model, but my unit arrived without the calibration kit :( working at resolving this right now), the anti-glare coating is starting to drive me nuts. I've no idea how it compares to the U2711, however I've it sitting next to my old, glossy-screened, NEC 20WMGX2 and I have to admit, reading text on my old monitor is a fair bit more comfortable.

Makes me wish the PA271W came with a glossy screen with the A-TW polarizer of yore. I'll give it a few days to see if I can live with the sparkles; everything else about it is fantastic.

My PA271W just arrived this afternoon,snip

Guys this is my first post here so here goes<G>

I've been following this thread about the two new NEC monitors and ordered the 27" the other day. It arrived yesterday and after leaving it running for a couple of hours to bed down, calibrated and profiled it. These are my impressions.

It is an idea size and proportion. Big enough for width but not so tall that you are forever having to look up and down as was the case with the 3090.

Greatly increased gamut over the 3090.

Screen finish does not cause me concern.

Very disappointing colour uniformity. Very blotchy reddish/magenta areas and not suitable for critical colour work sadly. Terribly disappointed.

Cheers

Richard

Very disappointing colour uniformity. Very blotchy reddish/magenta areas and not suitable for critical colour work sadly. Terribly disappointed.

You may be able to exchange it. The replacement unit may be better or worse - it's a crapshoot - but it's worth a try if your current one is unacceptable.

My experience with large LCD monitors is that around one in six units is really good, and the others have issues which are annoying to varying degrees: brightness or color non-uniformity and bad pixels are the most common problems, but I've encountered a variety of other defects as well.

Cheers

Richard

Do you have Uniformity (the new name for ColorComp) turned on? Blotchiness would drive me crazy, especially in such a market segment, but I know a lot of people turn CC off to maximize contrast (or whatever their reasons were) which brings on the blotchies.

Thanks for the two replies guys. Yes uniformity as it is now called is at 5 which is the max. setting. Today it is looking far less blotchy but the upper part of the screen and over to the right side is red/magenta by about 7 points or so. Still not great but the improvement is encouraging, but this is a selected grade screen so pretty poor and not cheap!

Cheers

Richard

If your panel is very young, I'd give it more time.... I seem to recall reading stories about the pressure exerted by the bezel taking a while to even out and "snap" into place (although no snap might be heard).

You could consider purposely turning up the backlight to put more heat into the display too, and leaving it on for several hours or overnight and then evaluate again in the morning. In the grand scheme of things the extra "wear" won't amount to much over the lifetime of the panel but it may help you decide more quickly whether you need to exchange it or not.

If your panel is very young, I'd give it more time.... I seem to recall reading stories about the pressure exerted by the bezel taking a while to even out and "snap" into place (although no snap might be heard).

You could consider purposely turning up the backlight to put more heat into the display too, and leaving it on for several hours or overnight and then evaluate again in the morning. snip.

Good idea as I'm running at only 100. Popped it up to 400 for a few hours.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks.

Richard, what is the situation with your screen now? I wanted to get a copy, but your post made me hesitate a bit. Are you saying, that you bought PA271W Spectraview Reference, since you mentioned it is "selected grade"? I thought those were not available at the moment?

Is it worth waiting a month for the Reference version of the screen and be sure that the quality is as expected?

Did the 30" monitor ever come out? It's really ridiculous to announce a new model and never bring it to market. :rolleyes:

HP has had there new 30" out a long while. Dell 30" has been out a few weeks. Still no NEC PA301w.

Oh well. Its only been over 10 months since it was announced. Does anyone have any more info? Maybe soon.

HP has had there new 30" out a long while. Dell 30" has been out a few weeks. Still no NEC PA301w.

Oh well. Its only been over 10 months since it was announced. Does anyone have any more info? Maybe soon.

It's not yet mentioned even on the Japanese site of NEC, so it will probably still take a while.

Too bad there's no new 30" IPS panel, so it will still have the same old LG panel from 3 years ago (also used by the LCD3090WQXi)...

I havn't been keeping up with the latest LCD models after buying my NEC 2490WUXi back in November...are any of the new NEC models better then the one I have?

Well the on-line manual now includes the PA301. Is that mean it is closer or did it always show it in the manual? Any ideas when it will be available. I'm a new member but have been following the various threads since I'm looking for the 30 in for photo work.

Seems like the 30" is starting to be listed in Germany... Nec said a few times it would be released at the end of the year. Surprise.

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen6555.html
http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen6556.html
http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergleich/NEC/MultiSync_PA301W.html
http://www.n1shop.de/shop.php?mode=deep_link&partner=preissuchmaschine.de&id=823723

Maybe the wait is almost over. It's been almost a year since it was announced.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1260108113

Oh - the drama!

Seems like the 30" is starting to be listed in Germany... Nec said a few times it would be released at the end of the year. Surprise.

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen6555.html
http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen6556.html
http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergleich/NEC/MultiSync_PA301W.html
http://www.n1shop.de/shop.php?mode=deep_link&partner=preissuchmaschine.de&id=823723

Maybe the wait is almost over. It's been almost a year since it was announced.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1260108113

Oh - the drama!

If I did this right, 2,060 Euros = roughly north of $2800 American?

Wow.

I guess we have to see what it costs in the U.S.

The NEC PA271w is currently $1181 at
http://www.provantage.com/nec-display-solutions-pa271w-bk~7NECE00V.htm

As far as I can tell the NEC PA271w vs NEC PA301w, you get:
SIZE - 3 more inches diagonal
PIXELS - 160 more lines of vertical 2560x1600 vs 2560x1440
ASPECT RATIO - 16:10 vs 16:9
An extra display port so two computers can use either two dvi OR two displayport
The pa271w allowed one computer to use DVI or displayport and another just DVI
Also, the PA301w has self-calibration like the old 3090.

Don't forget to factor in the Spectraview II WITH the special Wide Color Gamut Eye One Display 2 from NEC... That will be another $200 or $300.

I think that's it.

The Dell u3011 is $1500 from dell
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...note_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

The HP ZR30W is $1130
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Buy-30IN-2560X1600-1000/dp/B003RBNMJA

Of course, an Eizo 30" is more.

I'm really hoping Provantage has it for less than $1800 but I'm very doubtful.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back