• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A home for my SR-2

yea, looks like any of the cases that can even dream of holding the SR2 are pretty pricey
Do you have a Microcenter near by?

The 700D is $199 and only requires some rivets being punched out.

The PC-A7FB is $150 but stock is getting low because that's a really nice deal on a great case.
 
Also. Thanks Sazaneyes and zero2dash, I got my issues sorted out and folding stably at 3.6ghz with all my memory detected.

I think I had a mobo screw standoff shorting out underneath the mobo around the RAM area.

a77_3.PNG
 
Do you have a Microcenter near by?

The 700D is $199 and only requires some rivets being punched out.

The PC-A7FB is $150 but stock is getting low because that's a really nice deal on a great case.
hrm, never would have thought to go there for cases, I've got two within an housr drive. Unfortunately the two nearby are both out of the A77. What needs to be done in order to fit it in the 700D? I already have an 800D and love the thing
 
Finally did at least some prep work.
A few shots to help out any potential buyers....
sr2in.jpg

sr2out.jpg


Long story short here's how I see it.
SR-2 in A77, no mods (no drilling/tapping for extra standoffs) is probably fairly secure. Only spot I'm worried about after standing the case upright is the upper right one due to the weight of the heatsink which naturally (at upright position) wants to pull the corner of the board away from the motherboard tray and towards the floor. ~However~ it appears that there's no easy way to get a mount point where the SR-2 screw hole in that corner (right side of the mosfet heatsink) is....I'm thinking though, judging by the size of that hole and the proximity to the edge of the board and the motherboard tray....possibly a zip tie can be fed in there, wrapped around, and tied down. Either that or feeding a small bolt through the back and then securing the board with a nut (or vice versa....bolt through board+tray, nut in back). That is my plan at least to try.

The other blue point is the middle bottom row; the hole on the board is where one of the cable management holes is located and there's no way to do anything there. Doesn't really matter IMHO, the bottom row of the board is pretty low requirement, and you can opt to drill and tap the bottom left and bottom right corners if you wanted to. IMHO the upper middle one should definitely be drilled and tapped without question due to HSF weight.

Otherwise at stock all holes are accounted for and line up. Not bad ;)
 
That top right position is a bit of an important one. I think you could put a standoff there, with a couple of washers and a shorter standoff. it would not be pretty, but it would work.

or...
http://www.pingood.com.tw/detail/204377/204377.html
If those are available somewhere, they would solve that problem.
 
Nice pics Zero.

Let me know what you figure out about the top right. Then I will blatantly plagorize your work :)
 
That top right position is a bit of an important one. I think you could put a standoff there, with a couple of washers and a shorter standoff. it would not be pretty, but it would work.

or...
http://www.pingood.com.tw/detail/204377/204377.html
If those are available somewhere, they would solve that problem.
agreed, perhaps you could even just thread a standoff through a nut of the proper ID on the other side (assuming the threaded section is long enough). It doesn't even have to be tight enough to provide the vertical stability (i.e. hole is elongated vertically, if standoff slides up and down its OK) it just has to counteract the torque of the HSF's pulling the mobo away from the tray
 
If memory serves, that upper right hole is right up against a heatsink on the board, and effectively prevents you from having a nut on the motherboard side. Running a #6-32 bolt down through the MB with a few nylon washers and a nut on the tray side should work, though.
 
Finally got around to working on this.
Don't have any purdy shots to show; I need to order more sleeving and also some 140mm Yates (to replace the top LED fans which I didn't realize were 140mm). Anyway I replaced the front 3 with my S-Flex SFF21E's and the rear exhaust also. My TS's have Yate high speeds (D12SH-12). It's not running push/pull ATM because I wanted to use a fan header for the exhaust for simplicity's sake (for right now, until I get everything sleeved and really work on cable management).

In any event - some shots.
Board fully installed. 3 holes drilled and tapped for standoffs, upper right hole zip tied. ;) the only dead hole is the one in the bottom center where the cable management hole is.
IMG_0958_1.jpg


Closeup of the zip from the back (through the loop, around the edge of the board, and to the back)
simple yet effective ;)
IMG_0965_1.jpg


Cable spaghetti finals (but at least she's running and that's what I wanted to accomplish before quitting for the night/until the sleeving gets here early next week I assume)
IMG_0966_1.jpg


I'm going to sleeve all the front panel LEDs and switches, fan controller wires, and the 140mm Yates (when they get here). Need to go do some orderin'. ;)
Somewhat hard to tell from this shot but every PCIe slot except #7 has an accessible rear slot in the case. SR-2 slot #6 uses the bottom most slot of the case which is the one with a thumbscrew; all of the other accessible slots (SR-2 #1-#5) all use the tool-less mechanism (which is very nice if I do say so myself....great quality, I'd expect nothing less from Lian Li though :))
 
so you're happy with the zip tie method?

I'll probably do that myself. Mine is still free ballin in that corner
 
so you're happy with the zip tie method?

I'll probably do that myself. Mine is still free ballin in that corner

Yep.
fing32.gif
Very easy and cheap, and the board isn't going anywhere. ;) Hell I had to cut the tie a few times and use another one because I checked and I tied it too tight and the board was flexing backwards towards the tray. (too much pull on the board to the tray)

As it is though right now, it's perfect. It has about the same gap between the board and the tray, and the board does not pull away from the tray (if I try to pull it away) so the downward weight of the heatsink will definitely not pull the board away from the tray either.
 
Not to bump this old thread but I figured I'd share my "cleaned up" pics with you guys.
Hopefully I can commence folding soon (if AmerenUE quits being dicks with the power rates :rolleyes:)

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg
 
Not bad zero2dash. Would love to see a pic of the shoehorn you used. :D
 
awesome zero2dash. I'm a big fan of that setup (since I have almost the exact same system) ;)

Are you having any instability issues? Every now and then I still get the "missing RAM" reboot behavior that I suspect might be due to motherboard flex.

Also, don't complain about our power rates. They could be much, much worse :)
 
Yeah, every once in awhile I still get that "loss of 2gb of ram" issue on boot; I just reboot it again and it's usually ok the 2nd time.

And yeah, I know, Ameren isn't the worst....we were on budget billing, I had to cancel that crap, they were prorating us at like $80 over our actual usage. :mad:
 
Back
Top