A "[H]ard" surface mouse pad?

€ 79,95 Jesus H That better be made of gold for that price... and the shipping .......

Is what it is really. But this is PC gaming and stuff being massively over priced is the nature of the beast and a point of the hobby now. If you want crazy pircing look into Artisan mouse pads from Japan. They are amazing but the cost is crazy high, even more so outside of Japan.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Been looking for a good hard mousepad and so I came across this thread. Absolutely blows my mind that you can't find one anymore! And all the good recommended ones are no longer being made. Seems like a glaring hole in the market just waiting for someone with more initiative than I ;)

People seem to like the Steelseries that someone else mentioned earlier.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mousepads/qck-hard

Also a quick search turned up the Glorious Helios though complaints about wearing down feet on the mouse is out there, seemed to buy a ton of youtubers at one point also so tough to possibly find a honest review.

People seem to like the Steelseries that someone else mentioned earlier.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mousepads/qck-hard

Also a quick search turned up the Glorious Helios though complaints about wearing down feet on the mouse is out there, seemed to buy a ton of youtubers at one point also so tough to possibly find a honest review.
Thanks Mate. I will give this one a shot and see how it goes! My Func 1030 surface is getting rather long in the tooth =P

I was really hoping they were still around and could get another one.

My Func 1030 surface is getting rather long in the tooth =P

I was really hoping they were still around and could get another one.
Yeah I was lucky to score two extra sets of surfaces for the 1030 several years ago (can't remember where I bought them from though). I kept one spare for myself, I gave another to a friend (I think as a birthday gift) who had especially worn out his 1030. I use both sides with my 1030, depending on what I am doing at the time, so that helped both sides last much longer than if I had just been using one side. And of course I use my RatPadz XT as well, so that has helped them all last longer. I haven't yet had to use my spare 1030 surface. I know it's just a matter of time though.

So I bought myself a 120$ skypad from their website, it was 100 bucks, plus 15$ for shipping, plus tax. I did not like it at first, it felt strange, and my mouse felt abrasive sliding around on it. But after a few days, my mouse pads smoothed out, and I also adjusted to the pad. I've really grown to like this pad. It's very consistant, very comfortable. I'm scared I may break it at some point... It's glass and fragile. But it's so smooth, and easy to clean and maintain. I think I love it. I'm not a pro-gamer-super-derp. I've had a few hard mousepads, I still have a zowie hard pad, (they no longer make them). The skypad is better. I bought the regular size, personally measured at 35.3 cm x 30 cm. I'm probably going to buy the XL version in the near future and gift this one to a friend.

Last edited:
So I bought myself a 120$ skypad from their website, it was 100 bucks, plus 15$ for shipping, plus tax. I did not like it at first, it felt strange, and my mouse felt abrasive sliding around on it. But after a few days, my mouse pads smoothed out, and I also adjusted to the pad. I've really grown to like this pad. It's very consistant, very comfortable. I'm scared I may break it at some point... It's glass and fragile. But it's so smooth, and easy to clean and maintain. I think I love it. I'm not a pro-gamer-super-derp. I've had a few hard mousepads, I still have a zowie hard pad, (they no longer make them). The skypad is better. I bought the regular size, personally measured at 35.3 cm x 30 cm. I'm probably going to buy the XL version in the near future and gift this one to a friend.
Neat! I had doubts when I read it was glass - optical problems, fragility, etc. But the website says they burn in the design inside, and show a drop test on tile.

It's too spendy for me right now, but I'll be keeping an eye on this. I love the idea of it not wearing out, I've retired many ratpadz before going cloth, and I'm tired of dirty cloth. But the cloth does relieve some wrist stress being a wrist pivoter/rester...

Neat! I had doubts when I read it was glass - optical problems, fragility, etc. But the website says they burn in the design inside, and show a drop test on tile.

It's too spendy for me right now, but I'll be keeping an eye on this. I love the idea of it not wearing out, I've retired many ratpadz before going cloth, and I'm tired of dirty cloth. But the cloth does relieve some wrist stress being a wrist pivoter/rester...
I'm not pushing these pads, and I don't mean to come across like a salesman for them. But, I've had zero tracking issues, no stutters, no problems. It's a perfect surface for my optical mice in this regard. I have two steelseries mice. The pad warms up to your body temperature and feels really nice under the wrist and forearm. It's too expensive for what it is, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Last edited:
Wow, the price on those Skypads seems ridiculous. I bought an entire tempered glass chair mat for about that price.

Hehe, just got this email, though you guys might appreciate.

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2022 2:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Original Ratpadz Thank you!

It's occurred to me that I've had and have been using this original style big flame in the middle Ratpadz for what has to be 20+ years now of near daily use. The flame is long gone, but the plastic surface is still perfect after all this time and several mice. I just need to clean the oil from the grooves in the textured surface every so often and it's good to go again, like new.

I bought a lot of newer ones back in the day too. I gave them out as gifts and I bought some for my extra computers. But the plastic on those was way softer and wore out fairly quickly.

These original ones are tanks though, and I'm pretty sure this one here is going to outlast me. I definitely need to include it in my will. :)

Thank you for producing a quality product that I still really enjoy using. I meant to tell you this like 10 years ago, but I've been lazy.

My Reply:

Hehe, many thanks, brother!

Yeah, the Ratpadz GS was a failed experiment (the ones that wore out quickly). We went back to making them based on the originals, actually with a better plastic. I bet some of those are still around well after you and I are dead. I wonder if they will have mice then? 😉

Glad you got your money’s worth. I was looking at spinning it back up, about the time the Coof hit, then supply chain, then diesel cost, which is still nutty. Just figured it was not the right time to do it.

Hehe, just got this email, though you guys might appreciate.

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2022 2:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Original Ratpadz Thank you!

It's occurred to me that I've had and have been using this original style big flame in the middle Ratpadz for what has to be 20+ years now of near daily use. The flame is long gone, but the plastic surface is still perfect after all this time and several mice. I just need to clean the oil from the grooves in the textured surface every so often and it's good to go again, like new.

I bought a lot of newer ones back in the day too. I gave them out as gifts and I bought some for my extra computers. But the plastic on those was way softer and wore out fairly quickly.

These original ones are tanks though, and I'm pretty sure this one here is going to outlast me. I definitely need to include it in my will. :)

Thank you for producing a quality product that I still really enjoy using. I meant to tell you this like 10 years ago, but I've been lazy.

My Reply:

Hehe, many thanks, brother!

Yeah, the Ratpadz GS was a failed experiment (the ones that wore out quickly). We went back to making them based on the originals, actually with a better plastic. I bet some of those are still around well after you and I are dead. I wonder if they will have mice then? 😉

Glad you got your money’s worth. I was looking at spinning it back up, about the time the Coof hit, then supply chain, then diesel cost, which is still nutty. Just figured it was not the right time to do it.
Please make/find some more....mine is finally wearing out. Thing out lasted a marriage and like 4 or 5 gfs after that. Think I had this thing for +-10 years at this point so I see why you didn't make money on repeat buyers things last forever

So I got the XL version, very happy with the pad. No complaints. Except the price! but if it lasts forever, or until I smash it to pieces with an angry fist, it's probably worth the cheddar.

I have the original ratpadz along with 2x gs ver2. I still use it at work and at home. Can't believe I've had these for so long.

My Func 1030 is worn out bald and is starting to come apart from one of the corners. :eek:

Do ya'll think I should get a hard Logitech or SteelSeries to replace it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My Glorious Elements XL mouse pad came in today. And unfortunately it is way way too big for my desk. It's almost three times the size of my Func 1030. It's so large that the bottom hangs off the front edge of my desk, and my speakers and PC tower keep me from being able to scoot it back to get it out of the way a bit or orient it in another direction.
Does anyone else have a hard mouse pad recommendation for a pad that isn't extra large, or where to buy more Func 1030's that SOAREVERSOR says are still made?

The real [H] mousepad is no mouse pad. Haven’t used a pad since 1995. Use a table with a flat wooden surface. Tracks better. No sweaty palms. And lots of nubs get shot in COD.

The real [H] mousepad is no mouse pad. Haven’t used a pad since 1995. Use a table with a flat wooden surface. Tracks better. No sweaty palms. And lots of nubs get shot in COD.

If I could get a wooden table for as much or less than the cost of a mouse pad then I would. Doubt I could though so I think a mouse pad makes a lot more sense in my situation. Sweaty palms have never really been an issue for me. If I ever start to sweat, I just crank up the air conditioning and that always stops me from sweating everywhere.

My Glorious Elements XL mouse pad came in today. And unfortunately it is way way too big for my desk. It's almost three times the size of my Func 1030. It's so large that the bottom hangs off the front edge of my desk, and my speakers and PC tower keep me from being able to scoot it back to get it out of the way a bit or orient it in another direction.
Does anyone else have a hard mouse pad recommendation for a pad that isn't extra large, or where to buy more Func 1030's that SOAREVERSOR says are still made?
How do you like the feel/texture though besides them giving you too much mousepad? haha

How do you like the feel/texture though besides them giving you too much mousepad? haha

The texture of the pad felt fine and provided flawless tracking for my mouse. I wasn't really a fan of how thin it was. The pad is so large and thin that I speculate that if it ever fell off of a desk for some reason and landed on one of it's edges, it would probably get significantly damaged/warped. It does come with an adhesive sticker backing though, so I suppose that wouldn't ever happen if you stuck it to your desk with the included adhesive.

Wood is a pretty good mous surface. It does provide excellent tracking as long as it doesn't have a glossy finish, actually better tracking than some of the weird shit people like here. And just because something seems like it's tracking fine doesn't mean it is tracking as accurate as it could on a better surface.

But wood has higher friction than a good mouse mat. Less friction is objectively superior because it requires less force to move your mouse which means quicker mouse movements.

Back