A Countdown to Black Mesa Source Begins

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you follow the links all the way back to the Black Mesa Source homepage, you’ll see the countdown clock to the unwrapping of the fan-remake of Half-Life. The release will not be complete, but will feature the first 14 of 18 chapters, but since some gamers have been waiting for this since 2006, I don’t think the incompleteness will be much of a deterrent. :cool:

I mean, this thing's practically the Duke Nukem Forever of mods in terms of how long it's been in the works -- hopefully it'll be received a bit better, though.

omfg they are done with half of it me thinks they are releasing what they have do be picked up by valve

14 out of 18 means it's about twice the size of most current games

Well, if they didn't release it soon the graphics would've been so dated that they'd have needed a remake of the remake :p

Long ago I was sooo looking forward to this, now I just don't care.

Wasn't there already an official half-life remake made using the source engine? aka Half-Life: Source?

What's the point of re-inventing the wheel so to speak? What exactly is the goal here?

Wasn't there already an official half-life remake made using the source engine? aka Half-Life: Source?
Yes, there was, but technically it wasn't a remake. All they did was port everything over, tweak a few things to make it work out on Source engine, and that's it. It wasn't even a "half-assed" attempt.

If you're going to port a game over to a newer and more powerful engine, do it right and make the game appear as if it were developed on that engine. :D

I can't wait. This game's story is still right up there with the best of the best.

I'm really trying to buck the trend where, when news gets posted, you see a lot of negative posts. If people can point out anything negative, they will. I guess it's easier to see the bad in things before the good. So I'm really trying hard here to say a few nice things. With that said, these guys have done an incredible awesome job. This has taken some of their lives full time no doubt for a long time. From some of the teaser videos I've seen that were recently released. I will say that I hope they fix some of the A.I. issues I saw. You could stand near bad guys and they would just not move to attack you. The scale of some of the static items also seemed off and were really noticeable. Maybe the footage I saw was beta.

Wow, I never really expected them to release anything.

This is awesome, can't wait to play it!

I have checked up on this mod ever 6 months or so just to see what was going on. It seems that they were rocking it early on & then they seemed to peeter out. I am glad that they got as much done as they have, I'm also kind of sad that they didn't do it all because it'll kind of kill the experience. Hopefully Valve does feel the need to help out.

Very excite! Can't wait for this :)
Since the episode 3 failure from valve I've been left wondering where they are taking HL next. I can't wait for the huge rooms with the radioactive waste pits!

Never was a fan of xen but it was quite trippy.

Half life movie one day...?

Keep in mind that BMS is BMS because of the location of the game play. They are still going and have been working on the Xen chapters, but those get their own release.

Back