a cheaper alternative to Dell U2415

Grimvald

n00b
Hallo there.

Would anybody recomend a cheaper alternative to the Dell U2415? Are there any sensible options? BenQ, iiyama, AOC? Was planning on buying u2415 but cant spend that much right now and need the monitor soon.

A 16:10 ratio is a must.
24-25"
1920x1200.

Mainly for internet, long, long hours of work (so cant be a strain on the eyes), a lot of reading. Some gaming will be involved (mostly single player RPGs).

Was planning on a IPS pannel, but an AMVA is also tolerable (i thing, im basing this on internet reviews, never saw one up close).

Would be gratefull for any ideas.

2x1080p IPS/PLS panels (Dell S2415H, Dell P22+2314H and Samsung S24D390 and S24D590 with sale prices=110-170$) can be purchased for around the same price as one U2415H. 2x1080p>>>1x1200p resolution, desktop real-estate and productivity wise, though I know facts like these are usually dismissed by 16:10 fanatics.

The Asus VS24AH-P is also cheaper than the U2415, and offers superior perceived black depth since it has a nice matte grey bezel instead of a perceived black depth ruining inner black 'frame-less' (junky) bezel . Recommendations with summaries and review links.

I already have a second monitor - a 19" 5:4 Eizo (old but high-end and still really great, calibrated color etc.). I need something to pair with him.

Asus is about 25$ cheaper in my country than the dell... not that much, is a bit older and doesnt have the pivot option (not that important but great if it is an option) :/

25$ is 25$...lots of old CCFL back-lit 1200p monitors are available from eBay. Nearby pawn shops might also have some too.

Even less than 25$ after I looked deeper.

I prefer to buy a new one - warranty + being able to return it within 14 days if something doesnt fit "just right".

Looking through those recommendations you posted:
PB248QE - not available anywhere
VS24AH - almost the same price as the u2415, no pivot, older than the dell
BL2411PT - need to read up about that one
E241i - " has a smaller color space/less saturated colors than the others," (same price as the dell)
HP Z24i- "The Z24i commonly suffers from color and brightness uniformity issues. " (so bad :/)
S24A850D - not available anywhere.

So looks like im stuck with Dell u2415?

Edit:although... I can get the VS24AH close to home, about 20$ cheaper than the dell... makes me think ;) Need to find some opinions on the Dell U2415 vs VS24AH front.

Last edited:
cant go past a benq, personally I would get w/e has the best hertz and response times for what you are willing to spend. The XL2420TE is pretty good, tho has been supersceded, good thing is though you should be able to get one cheap.

0.o
The XL2420TE is a TN gaming monitor that has nothing to do with what I am looking for. It costs almost as much as an Eizo EV2450 and EV2455 is not that far out... if I had the money, I would go in that direction.

BenQ BL2411PT looks nice, and according to the review on Prad.de has everything I need. Price the same as the Dell U2415.

So now Im torn between Dell U2415 vs VS24AH vs BL2411PT .

Just adding salt to your wounds: some Dell stores in other countries are already selling the p2416d. The initial price will hover around $359-389.

The competitor Benq BL2420PT , which was announced much earlier, is still vaporware.

If price is really important, i agree with the suggestion of going dual or triple 20"-22" 1080p

Goddamnit.
Think, think, think.

I mean, the dollar is pretty high right now, so it will be probobly considerably more expensive than the u2415. And the bezel is kinda fat (but that isnt really that important).

Higher resolution = better work conditions, a more noticeble jump from my old 22" TN.
Also:
Higher resolution = higher system requirements for games. I dont really have a top-shelf PC, so probobly that would make playing newer AA games impossible.

Goddamnit...I'll never buy a new monitor :/

Goddamnit...I'll never buy a new monitor :/

In this you are wrong. The monitor is the piece of hardware that you will use the longest if you buy it inside you usage scenario.

You are self-defeating the purchasing process. Look at your budget, look at your options, estimate bang for the buck.

No need to overvalue 1920x1200 over 1920x1080. 120 PIXELS ARE NOT WORTH :mad:TWICE THE PRICE

No need to step away from 2560x1440 saying " i will never game at that resolution". That is like not asking the girl next door a date fearing she will found you too small.:rolleyes:

1920x1200 is a niche resolution, whose monitors have niche prices to match.

running away from 2560x1440 because of graphics cards prices and at the same time avoiding cheaper 1920x1080 monitors is the perfect definition non sequitur. You either have the money for 1440p or save it and go 1080p.

You know what? I think you're right. Thanks for that ;)

I dont have the monety to buy neither a good 16:10 monitor, nor to uprgrade my PC to be able to use the 2560x1440 resolution. And even the u2415 was in essence a solution "for now" - in a year or two I'll probobly need to buy something more professional, something in a QHD resolution, with better color quality and more calibration options.

So I'll probobly buy an S2415H, and after the upgrade, I'll use it as a second (or third, depending on that if my Eizo L768 will live that long) and gaming monitor.
Or the LG 24MB56HQ-B which is like ridiculously cheap (less than half of the u2415 price) and has a great prad review http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-lg-24mb56hq-b.html with +'ses in every aspect I need (no pivor tho :/ )

It is funny how a small change on the mindset completes turns around a problem. First you where splitting hairs over a tight budget for a single monitor.

Now you are studying how to use 2 or 3 monitors :D. This totally deserves another thread:

"low cost 1080p pivoting IPS alternatives"

I'm overly optimistic that sometime in the future I'll be able to buy something better and create a real workstation ;) But for now, I still need a monitor for day-to-day use.

Will read up on the sobject of 1080p in 16:9 and create a new thread...

0.o

BenQ BL2411PT looks nice, and according to the review on Prad.de has everything I need. Price the same as the Dell U2415.

So now Im torn between Dell U2415 vs VS24AH vs BL2411PT .

If you do not want Dell U2415 or higher-resolution monitor ,then i would take Benq BL2411PT ( I have it) and I think it gives the same picture quality as the Dell U2415 , and is flicker free, light mate panel, very restful to the eye, low input lag, good response time, etc.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776113

I would not buy a monitor with full HD resolution in 2015 , only with higher resolutions.

Last edited:
Don't think there is a cheaper 16:10 24.1" screen than the Dell which has similar performance. The 2415 already is the "cheaper" 16:10 24". If you want a cheaper 24" IPS screen you would have to go to 16:9 23.8" then you can get a lot cheaper than the 2415.

Back