Low cost 1080p pivoting IPS alternatives

Grimvald

n00b
Hey ;)

During the course of this discussion: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1858088 i droped the idea of a 16:10 monitor (for now) and started looking for an 24" 1080p monitor with nice colors, good contrast, adjustable stand and preferably a pivot option.
Most important: easy on the eyes, fluckerfree. Its a monitor for long hours of work.

LG 24MB56HQ-B caught my eye - good prad rewiev: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-lg-24mb56hq-b.html, very, very cheap, nice stand, elegant and simple design, good colors after calibrations (I have the options of borrowing calibrating tools from work) and good contrast. Only drawback - no pivot. Not a deal breaker, but after a year I wanted to use it as a second monitor - pivot comes usefull in that scenario.

An alternative is the Dell S2415H - about 33% (of the LG price) more expensive than the LG - still no pivot but its a Dell. The glossy panel tho... I dont know, I have a netbook with a glossy panel, practically unusable when some sunlight comes through the window.

Dell U2414H - there is a pivot option finally, but its over 50% more expensive than the LG.

Dell P2414H? - again, pivot present, only 20% more expensive than the LG...but is kinda old (edit: please someone say this is the best option becouse I found a really nice offer ;) )

Any suggestions?
65% work (coding, some website design, a lot of reading), 20% gaming (mostly RPGs) 15% internet.

Was thinking about a 27" 16:9 1080p...but I dont feel thats a good idea for work - too low resolution on a too big screen (as I understand, Dot pitch is too big).

Last edited:
If you can hold out a while Dells sometimes has some really good deals on the U2414H, you'll have to keep watching your local Dell site for one or sign up for the Dell deal emails. The last monitor I bought from them I managed to snag a U2312HM for 40% off. I personally do quite a lot of coding on my personal monitors and they're both Dell UltraSharps, the picture quality is the best I could get for a reasonable price. They work for gaming too (U2312HM has low input lag), but it's not my primary use case.

I'm not from the States (or any other civilised part of the world :p ) and for whatever reason all prices at the official dell store are about 2x higher than the prices in normal stores.
For instance: I can buy the P2414H for the equivalent of 180-190$ (ofc. new, 3 year warranty, normal online computer store). In the dell store its about 382$. So even a -50% sale wouldnt mean much to me ;)

The U2414H is about 240$ (in a normal shop, doesn't appear in the online shop for some reason) so the difference in price between him and the P2414H is significant. If I were to belive the tft review, the difference between those two isnt that big... So I'll probably take the P2414h, give it a try and if it doesn't work out Ill return it.

The LG PRAD reviewed had better colour presets than the Dell P series which tend to have slightly skewed preset gamma (too high), and lacks gamma controls, besides, there's nothing wrong with the LG anyway. The only factor which would make me pick a matte Dell is if the LG can not be easily returned and exchanged. Make sure to check the price of the glossy HP 23 Envy since it is pretty much the same as the S2415H.

I have access to calibration tools (and a guy that knows how to use them ;) )... the pivot, all-around aesthetics and the resell value of the Dell made me buy the P2414H.

I'll try to calibrate it, use it intensively for a couple of days and see how it goes. If it doesnt work as good as I hope, I'll send it back and either buy the LG or wait for a month or two and get something in QHD. Either the u2515h or the new p2416d if the reviews are good...And play games on my old 22" TN monitor :/

but can the hp 23 envy pivot? the hpzr22w can.
if you are OK with dual landscape setups, teh envy 23" is among the best 1080p ips on the market, and it is not very expensive.

afaik, dell "P" and 'U" series can pivot and only the P2014 is 1600x900.

I really cant find a HP envy 23" 0.o
Under HP envy 23 I find only some notebooks and PCs...

Probobly not sold in my country :( not even on the HP website. And with the shipping rate and tax, the price would go probobly about 2x up.

And too bad, becouse it looks really good ;)

Ok, soooo....

Its LG 24MB56HQ vs Dell P2414H. LG is cheaper (the Dell is 15% more expensive) but the Dell has pivot...Which is kinda nice. In a year I'll probobly go for a 27" 1440p monitor (maybe then there will be something in a 16:10 worth buying), then this monitor would be a second (third actually) in a setup similar to this: http://puu.sh/gtUCH/027ade0c49.jpg

It kind bugs me that the LG is a new model, when the Dell came out about two years ago... Is there anything other like the LG but with pivot?

Back